Web Survey Bibliography
Title Using the Internet for Survey Research
Author Coomber, R.
Source Sociological Research Online, 2, 2
Access date 08.06.2004
Full text doc (113k)
Abstract The Internet and electronic mail increasingly offer the research community opportunities that it did not previously have. Access to information has increased as has access to and discussion with those working in similar areas. One other aspect of 'cyberspace' which presents enormous possibilities to the research community, currently in its infancy, is the use of the Internet to reach individuals as research subjects. In particular, there may be significant research benefits to be gleaned where the group being researched is normally difficult to reach and/or the issues being researched are of a particularly sensitive nature. This paper outlines some recent survey research using the Internet as the interface between researcher and researched. The target group, illicit 'drug dealers', are difficult to access under normal conditions and contacting a spread of such individuals across international borders was previously prohibitive. A discussion of sampling issues is undertaken which concludes that the Internet can be a valuable source of indicative as opposed to easily generalizable data. A practical guide to undertaking research via the Internet is also included.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1997
Web Survey Bibliography (6808)
- SuperCollect: A data capture system using an electronic network; 2003; Stol, H. R.
- Successfully Delivering Technology for Online Research; 2003; Bayer, L. R., Milla, P.
- The Effect of Images on Web Survey Responses; 2003; Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Effectiveness of Progress Indicators in Web Surveys: It's what's up front that counts; 2003; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Salutations and Response Rates on Online Surveys; 2003; Pearson, J.
- Comparison of E-mail, Fax, and Postal Surveys of Pediatricians; 2003; McMahon, S. R., Iwamoto, M., Massoudi, M. S., Yusuf, H. R., Stevenson, J. M., David, F., Chu, S. Y.,...
- Costs and benefits of improving response rates for a hard-to-reach population; 2003; Teitler, J. O., Reichman, N. E.,
- Humanizing self-administered surveys: experiments on social presence in web and IVR surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Stegier, D.M.Steiger, D. M.; de Rouvray, C.
- Web Surveys as Part of a Mixed-Mode Strategy for Populations That Cannot Be Contacted by E-Mail; 2003; Schonlau, M., Asch, B. J., Du, C.
- Use of Internet Tools for Survey Research; 2003; Truell, A. D.
- The effect of incentives in web surveys: application and ethical considerations; 2003; Cobanoglu, N., Cobanoglu, C.
- Web Surve's Hidden Hazards; 2003; Morrel Samuels, P.
- Web-based surveys for corporate information gathering: A bias-reducing design framework; 2003; Burkey, W., Kuechler, W. L.
- The impact of contact type on web survey response rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., R. R.Porter, S. R.
- Using pencil and paper, Internet and touch-tone phones for self-administered surveys: does methodology...; 2003; Knapp, H., Kirk, S. A.
- Effect of Single Versus Multiple Questions per Page on Data Quality In Web-Based Surveys; 2003; Peytchev, A.
- Wireless Surveys: A New Paradigm in Survey Research; 2003; Nagarajarao, K.
- Comparing Internet "River", Internet "Panel" and RDD CATI sampling: Do differences affect data?; 2003; Taylor, E.
- Nothing But Net: A Survey of Online Buying Among Sports Enthusiasts; 2003; Kraneburg, K. J., Johnson, T. J., Kaye, B. K.
- A Content Analysis of the Online Polls of Local Press and Measure of Framing Effect: Based on Consensus...; 2003; Hong, J.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in a Panel Survey: Telephone versus Internet...; 2003; Chatt, C., Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Motta-Stanko A., Pulliam, P.
- Is the Digital Divide Really Closing? A Critique of Inequality Measurement in A Nation Online; 2003; Martin, S. P.
- Improving Web Page Revisitation: Analysis, Design and Evaluation; 2003; Cockburn, A., Greenberg, S., Jones, S., McKenzie, B., Moyle, M.
- Mass Media, Leisure And Home IT: A Panel Time-Diary Approach; 2003; Gershuny, J.
- IMRO Online Survey Satisfaction Research: A Pilot Study of Salience-based Respondent Experience Modeling...; 2003; MacElroy, B., Gray, M.
- Combining Perceptual and Behavioral Data for Reporting Overall Web Site Performance; 2003; MacElroy, B.
- Use of E-Mail And Internet Surveys By Research Companies; 2003; Totten, J. W.
- Validations in Web-based Surveys; 2003; Crawford, S. D., Peytchev, A.
- Use and non-use of clarification features in web surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Baker, R. P., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Web Experiment: Examining the Effect of Error Prompting on Item Nonresponse and Survey Nonresponse; 2003; Mooney, G., Rogers, B., Trunzo, D.
- Mode Effects in Web-enabled, Telephone and Face-to-Face Foreign Policy Surveys; 2003; Kull, S., Wolford, M. L.
- Differences in Mode of Questionnaire Administration: Self-Administered Web vs. CATI/CAPI; 2003; Carley-Baxter, L. R.
- The Effect of Data Collection Modality on Students’ Foreign Language Survey; 2003; Shieh, Y. Y.
- How web surveys differ from other kinds of user interfaces; 2003; Ehlen, P., Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G.
- Differences in the Political Attitudes and Behavior of Cell and Land Line Telephone Users; 2003; Traugott, M. W., Joo, S. H.
- Surveys Using Cellular Telephones: A Feasibility Study; 2003; Steeh, C. G.
- Online versus postal data collection methods: an examination of issues and a comparison of results; 2003; Adam, S., McDonald, H.
- A comparison of online and postal data collection methods in marketing research; 2003; Adam, S., McDonald, H.
- College Student Responses to Web and Paper Surveys: Does Mode Matter?; 2003; Hayek, J. C., Ouimet, J. A., Carini, R. M., Kennedy, J. M., Kuh, G. D.
- Preferences and social contacts in an online community; 2003; Adamic, L. A.
- Internet and non-internet sub-networks of intensive Internet users; 2003; Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- New Social Survey Perspectives on the Digital Divide; 2003; Robinson, J. P., DiMaggio, P., Hargittai, E.
- An expanding digital divide? Panel dynamics in the general social survey; 2003; Neustadtl, A., Robinson, J. P.
- eTailQ: dimensionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality; 2003; Wolfinbarger, M., Gilly, M.C.
- Assessing Response Rates And Nonresponse Bias In Web And Paper Surveys; 2003; Sax, L. J., Gilmartin, S. K., Bryant, A. N.
- Go With the Flow: Cognitive Testing of a Multi-mode, Multi-Agency Survey about Drinking Water; 2003; Wilson, B. F., Kamimoto, L. A., Whitaker, K. R., Williams, M., Dockins, C., Kim, H., Posnick, L. M.,...
- Asking Comparative Questions: A Comparison Of Three Wording Strategies; 2003; Liu, K.
- Comparing Propensity Score Weighting with Other Weighting Methods: A Case Study; 2003; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- It’s Only Incidental: Effects of Response Format in Determining Behavioral or Event Occurrence; 2003; Lafond, C.R., Smith, M. R., Behnke, C. S., Thomas, R. K.
- Evaluating Unit nonresponse Rates in Web Surveys - A Meta Study; 2003; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Dolničar, V.