Web Survey Bibliography
Title Using the Internet for Survey Research
Author Coomber, R.
Source Sociological Research Online, 2, 2
Access date 08.06.2004
Full text doc (113k)
Abstract The Internet and electronic mail increasingly offer the research community opportunities that it did not previously have. Access to information has increased as has access to and discussion with those working in similar areas. One other aspect of 'cyberspace' which presents enormous possibilities to the research community, currently in its infancy, is the use of the Internet to reach individuals as research subjects. In particular, there may be significant research benefits to be gleaned where the group being researched is normally difficult to reach and/or the issues being researched are of a particularly sensitive nature. This paper outlines some recent survey research using the Internet as the interface between researcher and researched. The target group, illicit 'drug dealers', are difficult to access under normal conditions and contacting a spread of such individuals across international borders was previously prohibitive. A discussion of sampling issues is undertaken which concludes that the Internet can be a valuable source of indicative as opposed to easily generalizable data. A practical guide to undertaking research via the Internet is also included.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication1997
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6374)
- Psychometric properties of online self-report memory questionnaires: The EMQ and PMQ; 2002; Buchanan, T., Ali, T., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Examining Item Non-Response in a Mixed Mode Customer Satisfaction Study; 2002; Burr, M. A., Famolaro, T., Levin, K.
- Computer-assisted longitudinal surveys; 2002; Capiluppi, C.
- Web Survey Nonresponse Among Military Members; 2002; Caplan, J. R.
- Empirically Quantifying Unit-Nonresponse-Errors in Online-Surveys and Suggestions for Computational...; 2002; Lukawetz, G.
- An Experiment on Computer-assisted Questionnaire Design for University Didactics Quality Measurement; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Comparing Self-administered Computer Surveys and Auditory Interviews: An Experiment; 2002; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- Mail and Web Surveys: A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in a Study on Students Housing Conditions; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Paper and Pencil versus Web Survey. Measurement Effects and Mode Differences; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Improving Unit-Nonresponse Error Correction in Online Surveys Using Multi-Dimensional Response Models...; 2002; Lukawetz, G.
- Toward a Typology of Internet Users and Online Privacy Concerns; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Internet surveys: the role of time in firms response behaviour; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- Usability Testing of Web Data Collection Instruments; 2002; Thalji, L., Antunes, M. J., Wiebe, E. F.
- Nonresponse Error and Mode Effects in the Web-Enabled Survey on Civic Attitudes and Behaviors after...; 2002; Thalji, L., Langer, M., Pulliam, P., Wiebe, E. F.
- Internet Surveys and Data Quality - A Review; 2002; Tuten, T. L., Urban, D.J., Bosnjak, M.
- Forms of Research in MUDs; 2002; Utz, S.
- Not Sure About "Don't Know"?: Effects of Response Choice in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2002; Terhanian, G., Thomas, R. K., Bremer, J., Smith, R.
- More Is Not Necessarily Better: Effects of Response Categories on Measurement Stability and Validity; 2002; Thomas, R. K., Uldall, B. R., Krosnick, J. A.
- A Web-based Experiment to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Vaccine Information Sheets; 2002; Turner, A., Thalji, L., Wagers, R., Laird, G., Heaps, W.
- Reliability and Validity of Web-based Surveys: Effects of Response Modality, Item Format, and Number...; 2002; Uldall, B. R., Thomas, R. K., Krosnick, J. A.
- Mode Effect in Web Surveys; 2002; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Reasons for unit and partial nonresponse in Web surveys; 2002; Vehovar, V., Koren, G., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Nonresponse in Web Surveys; 2002; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Zaletel, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Web-Surveys - An Appropriate Mode of Data-Collection for the Social Sciences?; 2002; Bandilla, W.
- Generalizability Issues in Internet-Based Survey Research: Implications for the Internet Addiction Controversy...; 2002; Bremer, J.
- Online Panels; 2002; Reinhold, N., Batinic, B., Goeritz, A.
- Personality Assessment via Internet: Comparing Online and Paper-and-Pencil Questionnaires; 2002; Hertel, G., Naumann, S., Konradt, U., Batinic, B.
- Context Effects in Web-Surveys; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Theory and techniques of conducting Web experiments; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Privacy Perceptions and Online Practices; 2002; Viseu, A., Clement, A., Aspinall, J.
- Are refusing particpants different or what influence do have forced-choice-items on drop-out?; 2002; Voracek, M., Ponocny, I., Stieger, S.
- Online- and Touchscreensurveys: on Some Similarities of Computer-based Forms of Data Collection; 2002; Weichbold, M., Griessner, E. M.
- The Networked Nature of Community Online and Offline; 2002; Wellman, B., Boase, J., Chen, W.
- The Influence of Words, Symbols, Numbers, and Graphics on Answers to Self-Administered Questionnaires...; 2002; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Characteristics of Respondents to a Web Survey of the General Public; 2002; Tarnai, J., Thom, A.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Beyond Usability: Using the ''Webpage Interview'' to Explore Literary Practices; 2002; Attar, D.
- Internet Surveys: How Can they Contribute to Improve Traditional Survey Data and Administrative Databases...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- Web Fragmentation: A Network Analysis Approach; 2002; Koren, G., Kovacic, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences; 2002; Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Collaborative Approach to Web Access Analysis; 2002; Grobelnik, M., Mladenic, D.
- The implementation of an electronic survey tool to help determine the information needs of a knowledge...; 2002; Foo, S., Hepworth, M.
- Interpreting the new online advertising effectiveness measures. How new online brand effectiveness measures...; 2002; Hughes, G.
- Cross-media measurement. The new medium necessitates a new approach to an old problem; 2002; Briggs, R.
- Internet inclusive multi-media reach/frequency and optimization. Theories and techniques for an evolving...; 2002; Collins, J. H., Mallett, D. T.
- Forecasting reach, frequency and GRPs on the Internet; 2002; Chandler -Pepelnjak, J.
- The reach and frequency approach to advertising planning on the Internet; 2002; Coffey, S., Mazumdar, M.
- Online research alternatives. Choices, choices, but which one is best for me?; 2002; Klein, C., Lonnie, K.