Web Survey Bibliography
Title Survey-Based Experimental Research via the Web: Some Observations
Source Marketing Bulletin, 10, pp. 83-92
Access date 09.06.2004
Abstract This paper describes two Web-based surveys that incorporated experimental designs, and discusses some of the problems encountered. One problem related to the use of "cookies" and cgi scripts, which were needed to track respondents and assign them to treatment groups. These scripts could not be processed by older versions of browsers, causing a considerable reduction in sample size. There was also drop-off throughout the questionnaire, for reasons that are unclear. Secondly, although incentives were used, these failed to generate either a high, or a speedy, response. These findings highlight the importance of identifying appropriate incentives and developing effective Web-survey management procedures.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1999
Web Survey Bibliography - Solicitations & incentives (639)
- Synthesis of Results from the Response Mode and Incentive Experiment; 2003; Casper, R., Shaw, K. A.
- A Test of a Bimodal Survey Model on the Cooperative Communicators Association: A case Study; 2003; Brashears, T., Bullock, S., Akers, C.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Online Survey Design, Development and Implementation Guidelines; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Electronic Survey Methodology: A Case Study in Reaching Hard to Involve Internet Users; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Innovation in Online Research - Who Needs Online Panels?; 2003; Comley, P.
- Subject acquisition for Web-based surveys; 2003; Alvarez, M. R., Sherman, R., VanBeselaere, C.
- Incentives with a Byte; 2003; Hatch, S.
- Using the Internet to conduct surveys of health professionals: a valid alternative?; 2003; Braithwaite, D., Emery, J., de Lusignan, S., Sutton, S.
- Incentives to Increase Participation in an Internet Survey of Alcohol Use: A Controlled Experiment; 2003; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J.
- Casting the net: using the internet for survey research; 2003; Stewart, S.
- Web sites pay you to sound off about consumer issues; 2003; Anonymous
- Readers Rate: Appointee Bonuses; 2003; Anonymous
- Companies save time, money with online surveys; 2003; Bannan, K. J.
- Web Surveys - Benefits and Considerations; 2003; Dominelli, A.
- Web-based research: Methodological variables' effects on dropout and sample characteristics; 2003; O'Neil, K. M., Penrod, S. D., Bornstein, B. H.
- Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit Dialing Sampling...; 2003; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., de Shazo, J. R., Cameron, T. A.
- An Experimental Comparison of Computer-Mediated and Face-to-Face Focus Groups; 2003; Underhill, C., Olmsted, M. G.
- Who Participates and Why?; 2003; Weber, L. M., Loumakis, A., Bergman, J.
- The Revolution Masterclass on Online research; 2003; Smith, P.
- Material Incentives in Web Surveys - A Meta-Analysis; 2003; Goeritz, A.
- Survey metrics ward off problems; 2003; Brown, J.
- Cybersurveys come of age; 2003; Ray, N. M., Tabor, S. W.
- Visiting rural "virtual villages" through online surveys and online ethnography; 2003; Skerratt, S., Warren, M.
- The Gold Standard Tarnishes: Is Online Research the Solution?; 2003; Coates, D.
- SMS Polling: A Methodological Review; 2003; Duke, S.
- Successfully Delivering Technology for Online Research; 2003; Bayer, L. R., Milla, P.
- Web Surveys as Part of a Mixed-Mode Strategy for Populations That Cannot Be Contacted by E-Mail; 2003; Schonlau, M., Asch, B. J., Du, C.
- The effect of incentives in web surveys: application and ethical considerations; 2003; Cobanoglu, N., Cobanoglu, C.
- The impact of contact type on web survey response rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., R. R.Porter, S. R.
- Comparing Internet "River", Internet "Panel" and RDD CATI sampling: Do differences affect data?; 2003; Taylor, E.
- IMRO Online Survey Satisfaction Research: A Pilot Study of Salience-based Respondent Experience Modeling...; 2003; MacElroy, B., Gray, M.
- eTailQ: dimensionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality; 2003; Wolfinbarger, M., Gilly, M.C.
- Assessing Response Rates And Nonresponse Bias In Web And Paper Surveys; 2003; Sax, L. J., Gilmartin, S. K., Bryant, A. N.
- Achieving high response rates on web-based surveys of post-secondary students; 2003; Nichols, L.B., Ghadialy, R.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Exploring Online Survey Metodologies: Who are the Respondents and How to Get them to respond; 2003; Wolter-Warmerdam, K., Gardinali, A.P., Wong, R.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- Partipation in Online Surveys: Results from a Series of Experiments; 2003; Kiniorski, A. K., Smith, M. R.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- Effects of sponsor identity and perceived data security on response rates and data quality; 2003; Davis, B., Levin, K., O'Brien, J., Wang, A., Gordon, A., Shipp, S.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- E-Research: Ethics, security, design, and control in psychological research on the Internet; 2002; Banaji, M., Greenwald, A., Nosek, B.
- The use of incentives to reduce nonresponse household surveys; 2002; Singer, E.
- Private e-mail requests and the diffusion of responsibility; 2002; Barron, G., Yechiam, E.
- Conducting Online Research; 2002; Hogg, A.
- Technology and the Customer Interface: What Consumers Want in the Physical and Virtual Store; 2002; Burke, R. R.
- Multi-mode research dos and don'ts; 2002; Hogg, A.