Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Political Economy of Privacy Among Special Populations: The Power Factor
Author Crowley, M.
Access date 11.06.2004
Abstract Respondents are aware that more and more government agencies, private corporations and marketing organizations collect information about more and more aspects of their lives. Increasing pressure is placed on individuals to provide personal information and to participate in government, private, and marketing survey research initiatives. These record-keeping and data-collection efforts are understood to be new and different ways of disrupting privacy. Thus, this ethnographic research focuses on the nature of social opinion with regards to privacy. It is the premise of this paper that the fear of the loss of control over personal information reflects a more fundamental social concern--the growing power of large public and private institutions in relation to the power of the individual. Individuals see themselves as having little power to thwart the constant demands, mandates and uses of personal information. In thinking about privacy, this paper explores the power relations between special populations (non-white ethnic minorities, immigrants, low-income individuals, and others underrepresented in surveys and censuses), and institutions.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Web Survey Bibliography - Conference proceedings (240)
- Attitudinal differences. Comparing people who belong to multiple versus single panels; 2006; Casdas, D., Fine, B., Menictas, C.
- Blaise – Alive and kicking for 20 years; 2006; Bethlehem, J., Hofman, L.
- What Difference Do Guidelines Make? An Observational Study of Online-questionnaire Design Guidelines...; 2006; Lumsden, J., Flinn, S., Anderson, M., Morgan, W.
- Techniques for Assessing Safety Symbol Comprehension: Web-Based Vs. In-Person Questionnaire Administration...; 2006; Wisniewski, E. C., Isaacson, J. J., Hall, S. M
- A Comparison of in-Class and Online Student Evaluations; 2006; Swanson, D.
- Weighting an Internet Panel Survey on Drug Use and Abuse; 2006; Gordek, H., Williams, R. L., Dai, L.
- Results from the International Survey of ASA Members; 2006; Luo, A., Sangster, R.
- Efficient Multimode Data Collection; 2006; Dolson, D.
- Supplementing RDD Surveys with Web-Based Survey Data; 2006; Krotki, K.
- An Application of E-mail Suvey Using a Word Form; 2006; Graeml, A. R., Csillag, J. M.
- The shift to on-line research. Managing and taking advantage of it.; 2006; Alexander, J., Fine, J., Davies, S.
- The professional respondent problem in online panel surveys today; 2005; Fulgoni, G.
- Satisficing behavior in online panelists; 2005; Downes-Le Guin, T.
- Panel proliferation and quality concerns; 2005; Faasse, J.
- Comparing the results of probability and non-probability sample surveys; 2005; Krosnick, J. A.
- Implementing web-surveys for software requirements elicitation; 2005; Belani, H., Pripuzic, K., Kobas, K.
- Capturing them in the Web: the use of online surveys and the examination of response patterns for first...; 2005; Bond, D.
- Survey Quality and Mobile Phones; 2005; Kuusela, V., Notkola, V.
- Translucent is the mind of the web user; 2005; Britschgi, M.
- How to make internet surveys representative: A case study of a two-step weighting procedure; 2004; Borsch-Supan, A. et al.
- In the Long Run: lessons from a panel survey respondent incentive experiment; 2004; Jäckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Electronic Versus Paper Surveys: Analysis of Potential Psychometric Biases; 2004; McCoy, S., Marks Jr., P. V., Carr, C. L., Mbarika, V.
- Topsl: A domain-specific language for on-line surveys; 2004; MacHenry, M., Matthews, J.
- An Assessment of Measurement Invariance between Internet-Based and Traditional Paper-and-Pencil Surveys...; 2004; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Implementing Web-based Statistical Tools; 2004; West, W.
- Virtual ethnography: A computer-based approach; 2004; Ardet, N., Thome, M.
- The Effect of Respondent and Technology Characteristics on the Intention to Participate in Internet-...; 2003; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Building a custom client-side research tool for online Web-based experiments; 2003; Westin, S.
- Web-STAR: A survey tool for analyzing user requirements for web sites; 2003; Lazar, J., Jones, A., Greenidge, K.
- First installation of a virtual CATI phone room with full telephony integration; 2003; Tanguay, L.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- Design of Follow-up Questions in Web Surveys; 2003; Balter, O., Kjellstrom, O.
- More than a thousand words? Visual cues and visual knowledge; 2002; Prior, M.
- Do argumentation tasks promote conceptual change about volcanoes?; 2002; Hemmerich, J., Wiley, J.
- The Use of Web-Based International Surveys In Information Systems Research; 2002; Lang, M.
- Effective recruitment and retention for online surveys; 2002; Freeman, K.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Evaluation of Differential Sampling in the Knowledge Networks Panel: What is the Effect on Coverage,...; 2002; Huggins, V. J., Tang, X.
- Does This Question Work? Evaluating Cognitive Interview Results Using Respondent Debriefing Questions...; 2002; Hughes, K. A., DeMaio, T. J.
- New Data Collections Using Touchtone Data Entry; 2002; Jakhu, S., Sauer, M. E.
- Use Of Web-Based Data Collection To Supplement And Improve Mail Survey Response Rates; 2002; Keesling, R.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Mode Effect In Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Participation In Telephone Pre-Recruited Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Usability Evaluation of Key Parts of Census.Gov; 2002; Olmsted, E. L., Marquis, K.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys To Measure Customer Satisfaction; 2002; Salvucci, S., Parker, A., Wenck, S., Peng, S., Goldstein, A.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Automation Strategies for the Covered Employment and Wages (CEW) Program; 2002; Searson, M.
- Man vs. Machine - A Study of the Ability of Statistical Methodologies to Discern Human Generated ssh...; 2002; Solka, J. L., Marchette, D., Adams, M. L.