Web Survey Bibliography
Title New Data Collections Using Touchtone Data Entry
Author Jakhu, S., Sauer, M. E.
Access date 14.06.2004
Abstract Two programs at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) are introducing Touchtone Data Entry (TDE) into their data collection processes. Developed at BLS in the mid-1980s, TDE is used in large-scale collection of approximately 240,000 units monthly by the establishment payroll survey. This article describes the touchtone methodology and its application in two very different survey environments. The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS), a monthly establishment survey similar to the BLS payroll survey, uses TDE in combination with CATI to collect data. The other new implementation of TDE is by the Annual Refiling Survey (ARS) component of the ES-202 Covered Employment and Wages program. In the ARS, the universe of businesses is contacted on a three-year cycle to update information. Until now, the refiling was solely via a mailed form. In both programs, the use of TDE is intended to reduce collection costs and maintain response rates for selected units. TDE is proving to be a cost-effective alternative to mail and CATI-based methods. Rising labor and postal rates, and declining telephone and technology costs offer incentives to redesign collection processes.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Web Survey Bibliography - JSM 2002. Statistics in an Era of Technological Change (25)
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Evaluation of Differential Sampling in the Knowledge Networks Panel: What is the Effect on Coverage,...; 2002; Huggins, V. J., Tang, X.
- Does This Question Work? Evaluating Cognitive Interview Results Using Respondent Debriefing Questions...; 2002; Hughes, K. A., DeMaio, T. J.
- New Data Collections Using Touchtone Data Entry; 2002; Jakhu, S., Sauer, M. E.
- Use Of Web-Based Data Collection To Supplement And Improve Mail Survey Response Rates; 2002; Keesling, R.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Mode Effect In Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Participation In Telephone Pre-Recruited Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Usability Evaluation of Key Parts of Census.Gov; 2002; Olmsted, E. L., Marquis, K.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys To Measure Customer Satisfaction; 2002; Salvucci, S., Parker, A., Wenck, S., Peng, S., Goldstein, A.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Automation Strategies for the Covered Employment and Wages (CEW) Program; 2002; Searson, M.
- Man vs. Machine - A Study of the Ability of Statistical Methodologies to Discern Human Generated ssh...; 2002; Solka, J. L., Marchette, D., Adams, M. L.
- Recent Developments For Interactive Statistical Graphics On The Web Using “nViZn”; 2002; Symanzik, J., Gunter, L.
- Enhancing Consulting With A Website: Making Resources Available To Clients; 2002; Williams, C. J.
- The Dissemination of Data Among the Agencies and the Statistical Offices and Data Access for Research...; 2002; Biggeri, L.
- Government Perspective on Data Stewardship for Statistical Data; 2002; Brackstone, G., White, P.
- Data Confidentiality and Access Issues Among Federal Agencies; 2002; Bournazian, J., Eden, D., Greenberg, B., Cohen, S. H.
- Assessing Respondents’ Need for Clarification in Web Surveys Using Age-Based User Modeling; 2002; Coiner, T. F., Coiner, T., Ehlen, P., Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G.
- The Political Economy of Privacy Among Special Populations: The Power Factor; 2002; Crowley, M.
- Computer Assisted Pretesting of Telephone Interview Questionnaires (CAPTIQ); 2002; Deutschmann, M., Faulbaum, F., Kleudgen, M.
- Confidentiality, Disclosure, and Data Access: Summary of a Conference; 2002; Doyle, P.
- Ethics and Efficacy in Releasing Official Statistics to the Public and Data Users; 2002; Gordon, N. M.
- Evaluating the Success of Telecommuting at the Census Bureau; 2002; Guarino, J. A., Bouffard, J. A.
- The Penn State Model for the Intro Stat Course: A Description and an Assessment; 2002; Harkness, W. L., Buchanan, P., Heckard, R.