Web Survey Bibliography
Title A Usability Evaluation of Key Parts of Census.Gov
Access date 14.06.2004
Abstract The information Web sites of the federal statistical agencies are now serving a broader range of users, compared to conventional paper publications of a few years ago. Who are these users, why are they coming to these sites, and are they able to get what they want? The aim of this study was to identify the major classes of users, their goals and to uncover the major usability problems in five key parts of the U.S. Census Bureau's Web site. Interns and Census staff analyzed the existing sites, created typical user and task profiles, set usability goals for user accuracy, efficiency, and subjective satisfaction, recruited users and conducted the tests, which included preliminary eyetracking, videotaping each usability session, logging detailed time-based notes, having users perform typical tasks, and obtaining user satisfaction ratings. The results indicate several common usability shortcomings on the sites. They were: inadequate navigation schemes, excessive use of jargon, and problems with the way information is displayed. This paper discusses reasons for these common problems and possible remedies, including insights from eyetracking results.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (418)
- Superior Software, Incomplete Instructions; 2002; Hollman, L.
- SurveyConnect Releases Survey Select Expert 4.5; 2002; Anonymous
- Collecting Ego-Centered Network Data via the Web; 2002; Batagelj, Z., Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Network ethnography and the hypermedia organization: new media, new organizations, new methods; 2002; Howard, P. N.
- Communication research about the internet: a thematic meta-analysis; 2002; Kim, S. T., Weaver, D. H.
- Issues in protection of human subjects in Internet research; 2002; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Introduction: Psychology and the Internet; 2002; Taylor, J.
- Use of the Internet by Patients with Chronic Illness; 2002; Millard, R., Fintak, P.
- Online research gets fewer Euro cheers; 2002; Jamieson, D
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Evaluation of Differential Sampling in the Knowledge Networks Panel: What is the Effect on Coverage,...; 2002; Huggins, V. J., Tang, X.
- Does This Question Work? Evaluating Cognitive Interview Results Using Respondent Debriefing Questions...; 2002; Hughes, K. A., DeMaio, T. J.
- New Data Collections Using Touchtone Data Entry; 2002; Jakhu, S., Sauer, M. E.
- Use Of Web-Based Data Collection To Supplement And Improve Mail Survey Response Rates; 2002; Keesling, R.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Mode Effect In Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Participation In Telephone Pre-Recruited Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Usability Evaluation of Key Parts of Census.Gov; 2002; Olmsted, E. L., Marquis, K.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys To Measure Customer Satisfaction; 2002; Salvucci, S., Parker, A., Wenck, S., Peng, S., Goldstein, A.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Automation Strategies for the Covered Employment and Wages (CEW) Program; 2002; Searson, M.
- Man vs. Machine - A Study of the Ability of Statistical Methodologies to Discern Human Generated ssh...; 2002; Solka, J. L., Marchette, D., Adams, M. L.
- Recent Developments For Interactive Statistical Graphics On The Web Using “nViZn”; 2002; Symanzik, J., Gunter, L.
- Enhancing Consulting With A Website: Making Resources Available To Clients; 2002; Williams, C. J.
- Online research requires verification of information; 2002; Goldsborough, R.
- Using the Internet for surveys and health research; 2002; Eysenbach, G., Wyatt, J. C.
- Post-adoption attitudes to advertising on the Internet; 2002; Rodgers, S., Chen, Q.
- The Dissemination of Data Among the Agencies and the Statistical Offices and Data Access for Research...; 2002; Biggeri, L.
- Government Perspective on Data Stewardship for Statistical Data; 2002; Brackstone, G., White, P.
- Data Confidentiality and Access Issues Among Federal Agencies; 2002; Bournazian, J., Eden, D., Greenberg, B., Cohen, S. H.
- Assessing Respondents’ Need for Clarification in Web Surveys Using Age-Based User Modeling; 2002; Coiner, T. F., Coiner, T., Ehlen, P., Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G.
- The Political Economy of Privacy Among Special Populations: The Power Factor; 2002; Crowley, M.
- Computer Assisted Pretesting of Telephone Interview Questionnaires (CAPTIQ); 2002; Deutschmann, M., Faulbaum, F., Kleudgen, M.
- Confidentiality, Disclosure, and Data Access: Summary of a Conference; 2002; Doyle, P.
- Ethics and Efficacy in Releasing Official Statistics to the Public and Data Users; 2002; Gordon, N. M.
- Evaluating the Success of Telecommuting at the Census Bureau; 2002; Guarino, J. A., Bouffard, J. A.
- The Penn State Model for the Intro Stat Course: A Description and an Assessment; 2002; Harkness, W. L., Buchanan, P., Heckard, R.
- Incentive Survey Finds Uncertainties; 2002; Anonymous
- Use of the internet to study the utility values of the public; 2002; Lenert, L. A., Sturley, A. E.
- The effects of delivery mode upon survey response rate and perceived attitudes of Texas agri-science...; 2002; Fraze, S., Hardin, K., Brashears, T., Smith, J. H., Lockaby, J.
- Internet-Based Psychological Experimenting: Five Dos and Five Don'ts; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Depression in Internet and Face-to-Face Cancer Support Groups: A Pilot Study; 2002; Klemm, P., Hardie, T.
- Virtually participating: A survey of online party members; 2002; Ward, S., Lusoli, W., Gibson, R.
- Elections and Public Polling: Will the Media Get Online Polling Right?; 2002; Johnson, D. W.
- Design Net surveys that reduce exits; 2002; Maginnis, C.
- Key Bank Polls Its People On-Line; 2002; Sraeel, H.
- Great figure--but can you trust it?; 2002; Gaber, I.
- Online surveys in marketing research: pros and cons; 2002; Ilieva, J., Baron, S., Healey, N. M.
- Older Adults Living Through and With Their Computers; 2002; Clark, D. J.
- Seeking legitimacy in online surveys; 2002; Jesdanun, A.