Web Survey Bibliography
Title Medical internet ethics: a field in evolution
Author Dyer, K. A., Thompson, C. D.
Source Medinfo 2001: Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Medical Informatics, pp. 1287-1291
Access date 15.06.2004
Abstract As in any new field, the merger of medicine, e-commerce and the Internet raises many questions pertaining to ethical conduct. Key issues include defining the essence of the patient-provider relationship, establishing guidelines and training for practicing online medicine and therapy, setting standards for ethical online research, determining guidelines for providing quality healthcare information and requiring ethical conduct for medical and health websites. Physicians who follow their professional code of ethics are obligated not to exploit the relationship they have with patients, nor allow anyone else working with them to do so. Physicians and therapists are obligated to serve those who place trust in them for treatment, whether in face-to-face or online Internet encounters with patients or clients. This ethical responsibility to patients and clients is often in direct conflict with the business model of generating profits. Healthcare professionals involved in Medical Internet Ethics need to define the scope of competent medical and healthcare on the Internet. The emerging ethical issues facing medicine on the Internet, the current state of medical ethics on the Internet and questions for future directions of study in this evolving field are reviewed in this paper.
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (435)
- Communities of Care and Caring: The Case of MSWatch.com(R); 2003; Weis, R., Stamm, K., Smith, C. B., Nilan, M., Clark, F., Weis, J., Kennedy, K.
- Toward Improved Methods for Measurement of Utility: Automated Repair of Errors in Elicitations; 2003; Lenert, L. A., Sturley, A. E., Rupnow, M.
- A Modified Version of the CAGE as an Indicator of Alcohol Abuse and Its Consequences Among Undergraduate...; 2003; Boyd, C. J., McCabe, S. E., d'Arcy, H.
- Diabetes group selects web survey technology; 2003; Anonymous
- Using the Internet to conduct surveys of health professionals: a valid alternative?; 2003; Braithwaite, D., Emery, J., de Lusignan, S., Sutton, S.
- Usage and impact of a teaching hospital virtual library; 2003; Sidlofsky, M., Tripp, T., Bayne, J. M.
- Opinions and e-health behaviours of patients and health professionals in the U.S.A. and Europe; 2003; Provost, M., Perri, M., Baujard, V., Boyer, C.
- The British and their use of the Web for health information and advice: a survey; 2003; Nicholas, D., Huntington, P., Gunter, B., Withey, R., Russell, C.
- Information-seeking behavior in complementary and alternative medicine (CAM): an online survey of faculty...; 2003; Owen, D. J., Fang, M. E.
- Issues in Internet research; 2003; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Web Surveys - Benefits and Considerations; 2003; Dominelli, A.
- Guidelines for Designing a Web-Delivered College Health Risk Behavior Survey: Lessons Learned From the...; 2003; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M.
- Utility of Web-based assessment of patient satisfaction with endoscopy; 2003; Harewood, G. C., Wiersema, M. J., de Groen, P. C.
- Comparison of E-mail, Fax, and Postal Surveys of Pediatricians; 2003; McMahon, S. R., Iwamoto, M., Massoudi, M. S., Yusuf, H. R., Stevenson, J. M., David, F., Chu, S. Y.,...
- Go With the Flow: Cognitive Testing of a Multi-mode, Multi-Agency Survey about Drinking Water; 2003; Wilson, B. F., Kamimoto, L. A., Whitaker, K. R., Williams, M., Dockins, C., Kim, H., Posnick, L. M.,...
- Comparing Web-Based Survey Methods with other Approaches: An examination of health knowledge, opinion...; 2003; Greiling, K.A., McCarrier, P.K., Stringer, M.C.
- A Comparison Between Responses From a Propensity-Weighted Web Survey and an Identical RDD Survey; 2003; Schonlau, M., Zapert, K., Simon, L.P., Sanstad, K., Marcus, S., Adams, J., Spranca, M., Kan, H., Turner...
- The Internet as a Research Tool: Worth the Price of Admission?; 2002; Lenert, L. A., Skoczen, S.
- Obtaining Sensitive Data Through the Web: An Example of Design and Methods; 2002; Baer, A., Saroiu, S., Koutsky, L. A.
- Web-Based Surveys for Data Gathering from Medical Educators: An Exploration of the Efficacy and Impact...; 2002; Lee, C., Frank, J. R., Cole, G., Mikhael, N. Z., Miles, C. A.
- Issues in protection of human subjects in Internet research; 2002; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Use of the Internet by Patients with Chronic Illness; 2002; Millard, R., Fintak, P.
- Using the Internet for surveys and health research; 2002; Eysenbach, G., Wyatt, J. C.
- Use of the internet to study the utility values of the public; 2002; Lenert, L. A., Sturley, A. E.
- Depression in Internet and Face-to-Face Cancer Support Groups: A Pilot Study; 2002; Klemm, P., Hardie, T.
- Triangulation: Three Modes Measuring HIV-Related Knowledge and Stigma in the U.S; 2002; Fichtner, R., Knight, S., Lentine, D.
- Mode Effects for Collecting Alcohol and Other Drug Use Data: Web and U.S. Mail; 2002; Crawford, S. D., d'Arcy, H., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Gender Identity and HIV Risk: An Internet-based Study; 2002; Bockting, W. O., Gurak, L.
- The feasibility of a Web-based surveillance system to collect health risk behavior data from college...; 2002; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M., Pigg Jr., R. M., Miller, D., Dorman, S. M.
- The development and administration of a population based Multimedia Computer Assisted Self Interview...; 2002; Robinson, E. M., Watson, P. D., Clark, T. C., Ameratunga, S. N.
- Visual Analog Scales: Do they have a role in the measurement of preferences for health states?; 2001; Torrance, G. W., Feeny, D., Furlong, W.
- Differential effects of Ecstasy and cannabis on self-reports of memory ability: a web-based study; 2001; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Facilitating research; 2001; Eysenbach, G., Wyatt, J. C.
- Online Data Collection With Special Populations Over the World Wide Web; 2001; Marcell, M. M., Falls, A. L.
- Using touch screen audio-CASI to obtain data on sensitive topics; 2001; Cooley, P. C., Rogers, S. M., Al-Tayyib, A. A., Ganapathi, L. F., Willis, G. B., Turner, C. F.
- Dyspnea During Panic Attacks: An Internet Survey of Incidences of Changes in Breathing; 2001; Anderson, B., Ley, R.
- Using modern IT tools to assess the awareness of MDs on radiation issues and plan a continuous education...; 2001; Barmid, P. D., Psarouli, E., Stilou, S.
- Randomized Testing of Alternative Survey Formats Using Anonymous Volunteers on the World Wide Web; 2001; Bell, D. S. Mangione, C.M. Kahn, Jr., C.E.
- Medical internet ethics: a field in evolution; 2001; Dyer, K. A., Thompson, C. D.
- Implications of Internet Technology for Medical Sociology in the New Millennium; 2001; Cotten, S. R.
- Practice patterns in the treatment of female urinary incontinence: a postal and internet survey; 2001; Kim, H. L., Gerber, G. S., Patel, R. V., Hollowell, C. M. P., Bales, G. T.
- A Web-Based Survey Method for Evaluating Different Components of Uncertainty in Relative Health Risk...; 2001; Weiss, B.
- A comparison of cigarette smokers recruited through the Internet or by mail; 2001; Etter, J. -F., Perneger, T.V.
- Use of the Internet in survey research; 2001; Yeaworth, R. C.
- Evaluating Nonresponse in a Web-Enabled Survey on Health and Aging; 2001; Wiebe, E. F., Eyerman, J., Loft, J. D.
- Use of a Website Questionnaire as One Method of Participation in a Physician Survey; 2000; Olson, L., Srinath, K. P., Burich, M. C.
- Current Practices in Intraspinal Therapy - A Survey of Clinical Trends and Decision Making; 2000; Hassenbusch, S. J., Portenoy, R.K.
- Internet and postal survey of endourologic practice patterns among American urologists; 2000; Hollowell, C. M. P., Patel, R. V., Bales, G. T., Gerber, G. S.
- When to Use Web-based Surveys; 2000; Wyatt, J. C.