Web Survey Bibliography
Title Probability Based Internet Surveys: A Synopsis of Early Methods and Survey Research Results
Author Huggins, V. J.
Access date 11.03.2004
Full text pdf (83k)
Abstract Successfully targeting a nationally representative panel sample over the Internet has been intractable, primarily because a large proportion of U.S. households do not have Internet access. This paper presents a new methodology created and implemented at Knowledge Networks that overcomes this inherent shortcoming. The new methodology begins with selection of a stratified, random sample of households using RDD telephone methods. By phone, the sampled households are asked to participate in the Knowledge Networks research panel sample. Once recruited, the households are then equipped with simple Internet access devices attached to their televisions that are used to field multi-media based surveys. To improve the efficiency of sampling, panel members are sent profile surveys that collect information on their demographic, economic, political and social characteristics. Once panel members complete the core profile survey, they are available for assignment to specific surveys according to specified sampling criteria. This paper will briefly discuss the sample design and methods of this new survey mode and will then focus largely on the survey research results to date that identify and measure sampling and nonsampling error. Application of this methodology is about two years old and we now have considerable information on response rates, coverage and nonresponse bias, and overall measures of data quality to share.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (full text)
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (786)
- Asking Factual Knowledge Questions: Reliability in Web-Based, Passive Sampling Surveys ; 2009; Elo, K.
- If You Provide It, Will They Read It? Response Time Effects in a Choice Experiment; 2009; Vista, A. B., Rosenberger, R. S., Collins, A. R.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Yes, VASs can! Increasing the accuracy of survey measurements with computerized visual analogue scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Improving the Design of Complex Matrix Questions; 2009; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Donations to charity as incentives in online panels; 2009; Goeritz, A.; Hox, J.
- Reducing Measurement Error in Web Surveys; 2009; Couper, M. P.
- Collecting Customer Satisfaction Data With Web Surveys; 2009; Vuorensola, L.
- Visual Design Effects on Respondents’ Behavior in Web-Surveys; 2009; Greinöcker, A.
- Increasing the use of e-consultation in primary care: Results of an online survey among non-users of...; 2009; Nijland, N., van Gemert-Pijnen, J. E. W. C., Boer, H., Steehouder, M. F., Seydel, E. R.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Pause Mechanism in Complex Online Surveys; 2009; Milewski, J.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2009; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Response Formats in Cross-cultural Comparisons in Web-based Surveys; 2009; Thomas, R. K.l, Terhanian, G., Funke, F.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Distortion of demographics through technically induced dropout in restricted online surveys; 2009; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Goeritz, A.
- WebEXEC: A Short Self-Report Measure of Executive Function Suitable for Administration via the Internet...; 2009; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Does the seriousness check really sieve out datasets with bad data quality?; 2009; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Don't know and no opinion responses in Web surveys; 2009; Mechling, J., Baker, R. P., Couper, M. P.
- Investigating the High Hurdle Technique; 2009; Frauendorfer, D., Reips, U. -D.
- Volumetric Forecast based on Online Access Panels; 2009; Rodenhausen, T., Drewes, F.
- SNB - Social Network Barometer; 2009; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- Using Interactive Features to Motivate and Probe Responses to Open-Ended Questions; 2009; Christian, L. M., Oudejans, M.
- Payments via Paypal as an Incentive in Online Panels; 2009; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Advertising Effects of Online Video Ads; 2009; Wolf, M., Schönfeldt, J.
- The impact of privacy concerns on data collection; 2009; Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Schofield Paine, C.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Panel Conditioning in Web Surveys: A Comparison between Trained and Fresh Respondents; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Formatting Error with Visual Analogue Scales in Web Surveys; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.
- A literature review on constructing answer formats; 2009; Menold, N., Kaczmirek, L., Hoffmeyer-Zlotnik, J.
- Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?; 2009; Johri, M.
- Methods to increase response to postal and electronic questionnaires; 2009; J., Roberts, I., Clarke, M. J., DiGuiseppi, C., Wentz, R., Kwan, I., Cooper, R., Felix, L. M., Pratap...
- Estimating the robustness of questionnaire results: lessons from a mixed-mode survey of expectations...; 2009; Bonsall, P., Shires, J.
- A hybrid online and offline approach to market measurement studies; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N., Moy, C.
- Impact of T-ACASI on Survey Measurements of Subjective Phenomena ; 2009; Harmon, T., F., Rogers, S. M., Eggleston, E., Roman, A. M., Villarroel, M. A., Chromy, J. R., Ganapathi...
- Open-Ended Questions in Web Surveys: Can Increasing the Size of Answer Boxes and Providing Extra Verbal...; 2009; Smyth, J. D., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., McBride, M.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- The reparation of trust after negative feedback – the results of two online experiments among...; 2009; Utz, S.
- Effects of data collection technique on the quality of data: A MTMM study of CATI, CAPI and Online interviews...; 2009; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Nonresponse in the Recruitment of an Internet Panel Based on Probability Sampling; 2009; Hoogendoorn, A., Daalmans, J.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in a Video-Enhanced Web Survey: Results from a Randomized Field Experiment...; 2009; Fuchs, M.