Web Survey Bibliography
Title Probability Based Internet Surveys: A Synopsis of Early Methods and Survey Research Results
Author Huggins, V. J.
Access date 11.03.2004
Full text pdf (83k)
Abstract Successfully targeting a nationally representative panel sample over the Internet has been intractable, primarily because a large proportion of U.S. households do not have Internet access. This paper presents a new methodology created and implemented at Knowledge Networks that overcomes this inherent shortcoming. The new methodology begins with selection of a stratified, random sample of households using RDD telephone methods. By phone, the sampled households are asked to participate in the Knowledge Networks research panel sample. Once recruited, the households are then equipped with simple Internet access devices attached to their televisions that are used to field multi-media based surveys. To improve the efficiency of sampling, panel members are sent profile surveys that collect information on their demographic, economic, political and social characteristics. Once panel members complete the core profile survey, they are available for assignment to specific surveys according to specified sampling criteria. This paper will briefly discuss the sample design and methods of this new survey mode and will then focus largely on the survey research results to date that identify and measure sampling and nonsampling error. Application of this methodology is about two years old and we now have considerable information on response rates, coverage and nonresponse bias, and overall measures of data quality to share.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (full text)
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (799)
- A literature review on constructing answer formats; 2009; Menold, N., Kaczmirek, L., Hoffmeyer-Zlotnik, J.
- Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?; 2009; Johri, M.
- Methods to increase response to postal and electronic questionnaires; 2009; J., Roberts, I., Clarke, M. J., DiGuiseppi, C., Wentz, R., Kwan, I., Cooper, R., Felix, L. M., Pratap...
- Estimating the robustness of questionnaire results: lessons from a mixed-mode survey of expectations...; 2009; Bonsall, P., Shires, J.
- A hybrid online and offline approach to market measurement studies; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N., Moy, C.
- Impact of T-ACASI on Survey Measurements of Subjective Phenomena ; 2009; Harmon, T., F., Rogers, S. M., Eggleston, E., Roman, A. M., Villarroel, M. A., Chromy, J. R., Ganapathi...
- Open-Ended Questions in Web Surveys: Can Increasing the Size of Answer Boxes and Providing Extra Verbal...; 2009; Smyth, J. D., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., McBride, M.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- The reparation of trust after negative feedback – the results of two online experiments among...; 2009; Utz, S.
- Effects of data collection technique on the quality of data: A MTMM study of CATI, CAPI and Online interviews...; 2009; Scherpenzeel, A.
- Nonresponse in the Recruitment of an Internet Panel Based on Probability Sampling; 2009; Hoogendoorn, A., Daalmans, J.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in a Video-Enhanced Web Survey: Results from a Randomized Field Experiment...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Psychometric properties of internet administered versions of Penn State Worry Questionnaire (PSWQ) and...; 2009; Zlomke, K. R.
- An Update on Survey Measures of Web-Oriented Digital Literacy; 2009; Hargittai, E.
- "Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment: Balancing costs and errors"; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- The representativeness of the LISS panel ; 2009; Knoef, M., de Vos, K.
- Survey Breakoff; 2009; Peytchev, A.
- The Impact of Personalized Prenotification on Response Rates to an Electronic Survey; 2009; Hart, A. M., Brennan, C. W., Sym, D., Larson, E.
- Effects of Design in Web Surveys: Comparing Trained and Fresh Respondents ; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Eye-Tracking Data: New Insights on Response Order Effects and Other Cognitive Shortcuts in Survey Responding...; 2009; Galesic, M., Tourangeau, R., P.;Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Online Reputation Systems: The Effects of Feedback Comments and Reactions on Building and Rebuilding...; 2009; Utz, S., Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- Potential for technical errors and subverted allocation can be reduced if certain guidelines are followed...; 2009; Hewitt, C. E., Torgerson, D. J., Berger, V. W.
- Web-based measurement: Effect of completing single or multiple items per webpage; 2009; Thorndike, F. P., Carlbring, P., Smyth, F. L., Magee, J. C., Gonder-Frederick, L., Ost, L. G., Ritterband...
- Designing Scalar Questions for Web Surveys; 2009; Christian, L. M., Parsons, N. L., Dillman, D. A.
- Design of Web Questionnaires: An Information-Processing Perspective for the Effect of Response Categories...; 2009; Toepoel, V., Vis, C., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Web Survey Design: Balancing Measurement, Response, and Topical Interest ; 2009; Shropshire, K. O., Hawdon, J. E., Witte, J. C.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- Measurement Equivalence of Paper-and-Pencil and Internet Organisational Surveys: A Large Scale Examination...; 2009; de Beuckelaer, A., Lievens, F.
- Towards a flexible online mixed method design with a feedback loop; 2009; Lobe, B., Vehovar, V.
- Usability testing; 2008; Roe, D. J.
- The advisory panel on online public opinion survey quality - Final report June 4, 2008; 2008
- Sample factors that influence data quality; 2008; Gailey, R., Teal, D., Haechrel, E.
- Representativity of web surveys – an illusion?; 2008; Bethlehem, J.
- Foundation of quality project overview; 2008
- Email survey; 2008; Porter, S. R.
- Designing online election surveys: Lessons from the 2004 Australian election; 2008; Gibson, R., McAllister, I.
- An unwanted impact; 2008; Balden, W.
- Design Variations in Adaptive Web Sampling; 2008; Vincent, K. S.
- Human-Survey Interaction: Usability and Nonresponse in Online Surveys; 2008; Kaczmirek, L.
- Characteristics of Gay and Bisexual Men Who Drop Out of a Web Survey of Sexual Behaviour in the UK; 2008; Evans, A. R., Wiggins, D., Bolding, G., Elford, J.
- Objectivity, Reliability, and Validity of Search Engine Count Estimates ; 2008; Janetzko, D.
- Internet-basierte Messung sozialer ErwŁnschtheit: Theoretische Grundlagen und experimentelle Untersuchung...; 2008; Kaufmann, E., Reips, U. -D.
- Experiments Exploring the Relationship (or Lack Thereof) Between Nonresponse Error and Measurement Error...; 2008; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Presser, S., Toppe, C., Kennedy, K., Yan, T.,
- Effects of Pre-coding Response Options for Five Point Satisfaction Scale in Web Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T., Kruse, Y.
- Internet Technology and Social Capital:How the Internet Affects Seniors' Social Capital and Wellbeing...; 2008; Sum, S., Mathews, M. R., Pourghasem, M., Hughes, I.
- Do online respondents go the extra mile and take on inconvenient tasks?; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T.
- Computer coding of 1992 ANES Like/Dislike and MIP responses; 2008; Fan, D. F.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2008; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Fraudsters: Teach Them Well; 2008; Pettit, F. A.
- Use of the Internet as a data collection tool: a methodological investigation of online synchronous...; 2008; Evans, A. R., Elford, J., Wiggins, D.