Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Political Research and Analysis: A Tour of the COMLINK Survey System
Author Mallery, J. C.
Access date 12.07.2004
Abstract This presentation explains the design of the automatic survey facility which is part of COMLINK, a larger system for electronic publication and wide-area collaboration. The survey facility builds on the following components: User Interface: The survey interface is built on a dynamic form processing substrate that is generalized over email and WWW. Queries are bundled in dynamic forms for presentation to users and for processing. Each query has an associated presentation type that is used to accept and validate inputs. Persistent-Object Database: As valid answers are received from users, the system stores the results in a transaction-controlled database. Adaptive Surveying: The survey system incorporates an IF-THEN rule system that controls branching between survey instruments. (Note, the analysis of such surveys poses difficulties, because they yield non-rectangular data for which there are few analytical tools.) Recovery from Failing or Omitted Queries: The form processing substrate checks that each response is a legal answer for the question. The system then retries questions with "illegal" answers or required questions that have not been answered. Web Authentication: An email exchange is used to assign Web respondents a password, and thus, to raise the confidence in Web surveys to the same level as email.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract, presentation)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication1996
Web Survey Bibliography - 1996 (78)
- Introduction: A Debate about the Ethics of Fair Practices for Collecting Social Science Data in Cyberspace...; 1996; Thomas, J.
- Early Survey Research on the Internet: Review, Illustration and Evaluation; 1996; Strauss, J.
- Web surveys: helpful techniques for Web-based data collection and analysis; 1996; Udell, J.
- Net? Not yet; 1996; Gjestland, L.
- Conjoint Analysis of Public Preferences for Farmland Protection: An Interactive World Wide Web Survey...; 1996; Mackenzie, J. E., Mackenzie, E. O.
- Internet tools; 1996; Anonymous
- Trio debuts Web-site analysis tools; 1996; Davis, B.
- Web site managers debut; 1996; Moeller, M.
- Net.Analysis Desktop shines in ease of use; 1996; Tabibian, O. R.
- Low-end tool for Web sites; 1996; Davis, B.
- Net.Genesis brings Web analysis to the desktop; 1996; Kerstetter, J.
- There's a new traffic cop on the beat; 1996; Wagner, M.
- Net.Analysis notes Web use in real time; 1996; Moeller, M.
- Net.Genesis Internet tool tracks usage; 1996; Rodriguez, K.
- Matching Data and Methodologies with Decision Making Objectives; 1996; Gupta, S.
- The Nielsen/Commerce Net Survey: Methodology and Results; 1996; Harkness, D., Lindstroom, P., Dubois, T.
- Trends in Interviewing; 1996; Jeavons, A.
- Surveying the Territory. GVU’s Five WWW User Surveys; 1996; Kehoe, C. M., Pitkow, J. E.
- Internet Political Research and Analysis: A Tour of the COMLINK Survey System; 1996; Mallery, J. C.
- Experimenting in the World Wide Web; 1996; Reips, U. -D.
- Technological Innovations in Data Collection: Acceptance, Data Quality and Costs; 1996; de Leeuw, E. D., Nicholls II, W. L.
- Considering the electronic participant: Some polemical observations on the ethics of on-line research...; 1996; Waskul, D., Douglass, M.
- PHS: Revolutionizing personal communication in Japan; 1996; Ishii, K.
- Proper methodologies for psychological and sociological studies conducted via the Internet; 1996; Hewson, C. M., Laurent, D., Vogel, C. M.
- The Computer as Interviewer: A/V CASI (Audio/Video Computer Assisted Self Interviewing); 1996; Arpin, D. C.
- Tracking the Progress of E-mail Versus Snail-Mail; 1996; Bachmann, D. P., Elfrink, J., Vazzana, G.
- Chronic prostatitis: Results of an Internet survey; 1996; Alexander, R. B., Trissel, D.
- Interactive Research: Time to Reinvent the Wheel; 1996; Anderson, D. H., Spitzer, R. A.