Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Political Research and Analysis: A Tour of the COMLINK Survey System
Author Mallery, J. C.
Access date 12.07.2004
Abstract This presentation explains the design of the automatic survey facility which is part of COMLINK, a larger system for electronic publication and wide-area collaboration. The survey facility builds on the following components: User Interface: The survey interface is built on a dynamic form processing substrate that is generalized over email and WWW. Queries are bundled in dynamic forms for presentation to users and for processing. Each query has an associated presentation type that is used to accept and validate inputs. Persistent-Object Database: As valid answers are received from users, the system stores the results in a transaction-controlled database. Adaptive Surveying: The survey system incorporates an IF-THEN rule system that controls branching between survey instruments. (Note, the analysis of such surveys poses difficulties, because they yield non-rectangular data for which there are few analytical tools.) Recovery from Failing or Omitted Queries: The form processing substrate checks that each response is a legal answer for the question. The system then retries questions with "illegal" answers or required questions that have not been answered. Web Authentication: An email exchange is used to assign Web respondents a password, and thus, to raise the confidence in Web surveys to the same level as email.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract, presentation)
Year of publication1996
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - USA (2247)
- Adjusting for selection bias in Web surveys using propensity scores: the case of the Health and Retirement...; 2005; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P.
- A field study comparing online and offline data collection methods for identifying product attribute...; 2005; Sethuraman, R., Kerin, R. A., Cron, W. L.
- Mode effects for collecting alcohol and tobacco data among 3rd and 4th grade students: A randomized...; 2005; McCabe, S. E., Boyd, C. J., Young, A., Crawford, S. D., Pope, D.
- Segmenting Internet shoppers based on their Web-usage-related lifestyle: a cross-cultural validation; 2005; Brengman, M., Geuens, M., Weijters, B., Smith, S. M., Swinyard, W. R.
- Using an access panel as a sampling frame for voluntary household surveys. Experiences from a pilot...; 2004; Korner, T., Nimmergut, A.
- The illusion of public opinion: Fact and artifact in american public opinion polls; 2004; Bishop, G. F.
- The Data Documentation Initiative. The value and significance of a worldwide standard; 2004; Blank, G., Rasmussen, K. B.
- On the primacy of affect in attitude-behavior research; 2004; Thomas, R. K., Schofield, C. M.
- Measuring expectations; 2004; Manski, C. F.
- Item response theory modelling for questionnaire evaluation; 2004; Reeve, B. B., MÔsse, L.
- Developmnent and testing of web questionnaires; 2004; Baker, R. P., Crawford, S. D., Swinehart, J.
- Contact histories in personal visit surveys: the survey of income and program participation (SIPP) methods...; 2004; Bates, N.
- Benchmarking Knowledge Networks’ Web-enabled panel survey of selected GSS questions against GSS...; 2004; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Chatt, C.
- Asking questions. The definitive guide to questionnaire design-for market research, political polls,...; 2004; Bradburn, N. M., Sudman, S., Wansink, B.
- An experiment in call scheduling; 2004; Cunningham, P., Martin, D., Brick, J. M.
- When the Ethic is Functional to the Method: The Case of E-Mail Qualitative Interviews; 2004; Olivero, N., Lunt, P.
- How to conduct behavioral research over the Internet: A begginer s guide to HTML and CGI/Perl; 2004; Fraley, R. C.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Propensity Score Adjustment As an Alternative Weighting Scheme for Web Survey Data; 2004; Lee, S.
- Is It the Young and the Restless Who Only Use Cellular Phones?; 2004; Steeh, C. G.
- Connecting Social Capital Offline and Online: The Effects of Internet Uses on Civic Community Engagement...; 2004; Nah, S.
- A New Era for Telephone Surveys; 2004; Steeh, C. G.
- Choosing to Use the Web: Comparing Early and Late Respondents to an Online Web-based Survey Designed...; 2004; Irani, T. A., Gregg, J. A., Telg, R.
- Respondent Differences between Web-based Surveys and Paper/Pencil Surveys: A comparison of response...; 2004; Velez, P., Buletti, J. D., Volz, S.
- Measuring perceptions and behavior in household surveys; 2004; McFadden, D., Schwarz, N., Winter, J.
- Usability, Comparability And Data Quality Across Modes And Technologies In Census Data Collection; 2004; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- SFSU Student Voting Survey; 2004; Blash, L., Kosheleva-Coats, J.
- Profile, needs, and expectations of information professionals: What we learned from the 2003 ASIST membership...; 2004; Vaughan, L., Hahn, T. B.
- Valuation of Natural Resource Improvements in the Adirondacks; 2004; Banzhaf, S., Burtraw, D., Evans, D., Krupnick A.
- A Web-Based Survey of AAASP Members' Ethical Beliefs and Behaviors in the New Millennium; 2004; Etzel, E. F., Watson, J. C., Zizzi, S.
- Internet vs. Access Point Intercept Survey to Obtain Stakeholder Information; 2004; Penkala, J. M.
- Comparison of web and mail surveys in collecting illicit drug use data: a randomized experiment; 2004; McCabe, S. E.
- Online Data Collection in Women's Health Research: A Study of Perimenopausal Women with Migraines; 2004; Moloney, M. F.
- Assessing Internet Survey Data Collection Methods with Ethnic Nurse Shift Workers.; 2004; Hobbs, B. B., Farr, L. A.
- Will Web Surveys Ever Become Part of Mainstream Research?; 2004; Schonlau, M.
- Expanding Discrimination Research: Beyond Ethnicity and to the Web; 2004; Kuran, T., McCaffery, E. J.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison; 2004; Ritter, P., Lorig, K., Laurent, D., Matthews, K.
- Early learnings from Chicago; 2004; Garland, I., Malley, W.
- A Comparison of Objective Characteristics and User Perception of Web Sites; 2004; Lee, S. -J., Lee, W. -N., Kim, H., Stout, P. A.
- Conducting market research using the Internet: the case of Xenon Laboratories; 2004; Lockett, A., Blackman, I.
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.
- Surgical Management of Obese Patients with Eating Disorders: A Survey of Current Practice; 2004; Devlin, M. J., Goldfein, J. A., Flancbaum, L., Bessler, M., Eisenstadt, R.
- Nurses' autonomy: influence of nurse managers' actions; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection from Video Game Players: Methodological Issues; 2004; Wood, R. T. A., Griffiths, M. D., Eatough, V.
- The usability of CAS systems: an Intemet-based survey; 2004; Wu, T., Zimolong, A., Radermacher, K.
- Does Telephone Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing Improve the Accuracy of Prevalence Estimates...; 2004; Currivan, D. B., Nyman, A. L., Biener, L. F., Turner, C. F.
- The state of readiness of student health professionals for web-based learning environments; 2004; Stokes, C. W., Cannavina, C., Cannavina, G.
- A Comparison of Three Data Collection Survey Modes Among Southern Baptist Youth Workers; 2004; Sedwick, J. L.
- Strategies for reducing online privacy risks: Why consumers read (or don't read) online privacy notices...; 2004; Milne, G. R., Culnan, M. J.
- Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members; 2004; Flume, P. A., Taylor, L. A., Anderson, D. L., Gray, S., Turner, D.