Web Survey Bibliography
Title Results from the First World-Wide Web User Survey
Source Journal of Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 27, 2, pp. 243-254
Access date 14.07.2004
Abstract The explosion of World-Wide Web (WWW) across the Internet is staggering, both in terms of number of users and the amount of activity. However, to date, no reliable characterization exists of WWW users. In this paper, we report results from a survey that was posted on the Web for a month, in January of 1994. There were several goals motivating our survey. First, we wished to demonstrate a proof of concept for WWW technologies as a useful survey medium. Second, we wanted to beta-test the design and content of surveys dealing with the Web. Third, as mentioned, we hoped to begin to describe the range of Web users. In one month, we had over 4,700 respondents to our survey. Their responses helped us to begin to characterize WWW users, their reasons for using the WWW, and their opinions of WWW tools and technologies.
Access/Direct link ScienceDirect (abstract)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1994
Web Survey Bibliography - 1994 (10)
- Do respondents really "mark all that apply" on self-administered questions?; 1994; Rasinski, K., Mingay, D., Bradburn, N. M.
- A comparison of vertical and horizontal rating scales; 1994; Friedman, L. W., Friedman, H.
- Electronic Mail Versus Mail Survey Response Rates; 1994; Schuldt, B. A., Totten, J. W.
- Decentralised CATI Versus Paper and Pencil Interviewing: Effects on the Results in the Swedish Labour...; 1994; Bergman, L. R., Kristiansson, K. -E., Olofsson, A., Safstrom, M.
- Audio and Video Computer Assisted Self-Interviewing: Preliminary Tests of New Technologies for Data...; 1994; O'Reilly, J. M., Hubbard, M. L., Lessler, J. T., Biemer, P. P., F.Turner, C. F.
- New CASIC Technologies at the U. S. Bureau of the Census; 1994; Nicholls II, W. L., Appel, M. V.
- Touch-tone data entry for household surveys: Research findings and possible applications; 1994; McKay, R. B., Robon, E. L., Malik, A. B.
- Results from the First World-Wide Web User Survey; 1994; Pitkow, J. E., Recker, M. M.
- The Ethics of Research in Cyberspace; 1994; Kennedy, K.
- Questionnaire Context as a Source of Response Differences in Mail and Telephone Surveys; 1994; Tarnai, J., Dillman, D. A.