Web Survey Bibliography
Title Development of a Pain and Discomfort Module for Use with the WHOQOL-100
Author Mason, V. L., Skevington, S. M., Osborn, M.
Source Quality of Life Research, 13, 6, pp. 1139-1152
Database Kluwer Journals
Access date 20.07.2004
Abstract Clinicians and researchers have become increasingly interested in the impact of chronic pain (CP) on quality of life (QoL). This report describes the qualitative stages of developing a pain and discomfort module for persons with CP to be used with the UK World Health Organisation generic measure of quality of life (WHOQOL). The aims were to investigate patients' perceptions of CP and its effect on QoL, and to generate items to be used in the development of a module appended to the UK WHOQOL-100. At the first stage (study 1), six focus groups of patients were invited to discuss how living with pain and discomfort affected QoL. At the second stage (study 2), an international web-survey was conducted with English-speaking respondents. 10 new facets of QoL were identified by the focus groups: flare-ups, pain relief, anger and frustration, vulnerability/fear/worry, uncertainty, loss/loneliness/feeling alone, positive strategies, communication, guilt and burdening others, and relationship with health-care providers. The web-survey confirmed and validated these new facets. Although the WHOQOL-100 is a reliable and valid measure of QoL for use in CP, this study shows that additional areas must be assessed when measuring the impact of CP on QoL.
Access/Direct link Kluwer Journals (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - United Kingdom (395)
- Multiple modes in cross-national surveys – a good mix?; 2011; Fitzgerald, R., Martin, P.
- Assessing mode effects: implications of embedding a children's quality of life questionnaire within...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- Survey Response via Mobile Phone: A Total Survey Error Perspective; 2011; Kaminska, O., Lynn, P.
- Usability testing of market research questionnaires; 2011; Coombe, R., Jarrett, C., Johnson, A.
- Applying maximum entropy weighting to on line panel data collection; 2011; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Hartmann, E., Sekhon, J.
- Are reluctant panelists worth the effort? Analysis of measurement error in a probability-based Internet...; 2011; Allum, N., Roberts, C., Sturgis, P.
- Indicators for Monitoring and Improving Representativeness of Response; 2011; Schouten, B., Shlomo, N., Skinner, C.
- Using the Internet for speech research: an evaluative study examining affect in speech; 2011; Knoll, M. A., Uther, M., Costall, A.
- Kids' Life and Times: using an Internet survey to measure children's health-related quality...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- The effect of the internet on researcher motivations, behaviour and attitudes; 2011; Mulligan, A., Mabe, M.
- Online qualitative approaches: an appraisal; 2011; Parker, K.
- A web-based survey on mephedrone; 2011; Carhart-Harris, R. L., King, L. A., Nutt, D. J.
- Factorial trial found mixed evidence of effects of pre-notification and pleading on response to Web-...; 2011; Felix, L. M., Burchett, H. E., Edwards, P. J.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- The Decision Maker's Guide to Online Research; 2010
- Mixed-Method Approaches to Social Network Analysis; 2010; Edwards, G.
- The psychology of survey response, 2nd Edition; 2010; Tourangeau, R., Bradburn, N. M.
- Social measurement through social surveys. An applied approach; 2010; Bulmer, M. et al.
- Designing questions for mixed mode data collection: What have we learnt so far?; 2010; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P.
- The Internet, Electoral Politics and Citizen Participation in Global Perspective; 2010; Gibson, R., Cantijoch, M.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Mobile Experience Sampling: Reaching the Parts of Facebook Other Methods Cannot Reach; 2010; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Kids' Life and Times: Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice; 2010; Lloyd, K.
- Thoughts on the rise and future of online research ; 2010; Day, D.
- Trial by Ordeal, a medieval approach to a modern day problem; 2010; Cape, P., Cavallaro, K.
- Developing a Research Framework for Usability in Online Surveys: Human-Survey Interaction; 2010; Kaczmirek, L.
- A Study Of Technology Adoption By Researchers: Web and e-science infrastructures to enhance research...; 2010; Pearce, N.
- Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice: An Online Survey of 10-and 11-Year-Old Children in Northern...; 2010; Lloyd, K., Devine, P.
- The ESRC Survey Resources Network - Opportunities for the advancement of survey methods; 2010; Lynn, P., Erens, B.
- The use of web questionnaires in second language acquisition and bilingualism research; 2010; Wilson, R., Dewaele, J. M.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Innovations in Social Science Research Methods; 2009; Xenitidou, M., Gilbert, N.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- Sample Design for Understanding Society ; 2009; Lynn, P.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- The Decline And Fall Of The Response Rate: The Fightback ; 2009; Green, A., Staplehurst, S., Windle, R.
- A Structured Approach For Reducing Bias In Surveys Using Online Access Panels ; 2009; Farrer, N., Dayan, Y.
- Presenting Publications in Online Print Audience Questionnaires; 2009; Carroll, J., Collins, S., Farrer, N.