Web Survey Bibliography
Title A survey of dental practitioners on their use of electronic mail
Author Muhumiza, R., Moles, D. R., Bedi, R.
Source British Dental Journal, 186, 3, pp. pp. 131-134
Access date 20.07.2004
Abstract OBJECTIVES: To assess the feasibility of using electronic-mail as a tool for surveying dental practitioners; to determine both response rates and response times for this method; and provide baseline information on e-mail usage. METHOD: Self-administered questionnaire distributed by e-mail to 309 practitioners on Monday morning, 1 June 1998. RESULTS: 53.4% response rate within 1 month; 10.2% of replies were sent within 2 hours; and nearly half the replies were sent within 48 hours. Qualified dentists were more likely to respond early than undergraduates. The most popular point of access for e-mail was home (69.1%). The majority of responders (56.8%) use e-mail every day with 1 in 7 (14.2%) using it at least four times a day. 72.4% stated that they found e-mail useful for communicating with professional bodies, while 41.3% used it to communicate with colleagues about patients and patient referrals. 34.0% found e-mail useful for ordering goods, and supplies and 14.6% were using electronic mail to make patient appointments at least some of the time. CONCLUSIONS: Responses can be obtained at much greater speed than conventional postal techniques will allow, but response rates were only 53.4%. E-mail is predominately used at home and for inter-professional communications, only a small proportion of responders use it for direct communication with patients.
Access/Direct link Entrez PubMed (abstract)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1999
Web Survey Bibliography - United Kingdom (395)
- Multiple modes in cross-national surveys – a good mix?; 2011; Fitzgerald, R., Martin, P.
- Assessing mode effects: implications of embedding a children's quality of life questionnaire within...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- Survey Response via Mobile Phone: A Total Survey Error Perspective; 2011; Kaminska, O., Lynn, P.
- Usability testing of market research questionnaires; 2011; Coombe, R., Jarrett, C., Johnson, A.
- Applying maximum entropy weighting to on line panel data collection; 2011; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Hartmann, E., Sekhon, J.
- Are reluctant panelists worth the effort? Analysis of measurement error in a probability-based Internet...; 2011; Allum, N., Roberts, C., Sturgis, P.
- Indicators for Monitoring and Improving Representativeness of Response; 2011; Schouten, B., Shlomo, N., Skinner, C.
- Using the Internet for speech research: an evaluative study examining affect in speech; 2011; Knoll, M. A., Uther, M., Costall, A.
- Kids' Life and Times: using an Internet survey to measure children's health-related quality...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- The effect of the internet on researcher motivations, behaviour and attitudes; 2011; Mulligan, A., Mabe, M.
- Online qualitative approaches: an appraisal; 2011; Parker, K.
- A web-based survey on mephedrone; 2011; Carhart-Harris, R. L., King, L. A., Nutt, D. J.
- Factorial trial found mixed evidence of effects of pre-notification and pleading on response to Web-...; 2011; Felix, L. M., Burchett, H. E., Edwards, P. J.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- The Decision Maker's Guide to Online Research; 2010
- Mixed-Method Approaches to Social Network Analysis; 2010; Edwards, G.
- The psychology of survey response, 2nd Edition; 2010; Tourangeau, R., Bradburn, N. M.
- Social measurement through social surveys. An applied approach; 2010; Bulmer, M. et al.
- Designing questions for mixed mode data collection: What have we learnt so far?; 2010; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P.
- The Internet, Electoral Politics and Citizen Participation in Global Perspective; 2010; Gibson, R., Cantijoch, M.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Mobile Experience Sampling: Reaching the Parts of Facebook Other Methods Cannot Reach; 2010; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Kids' Life and Times: Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice; 2010; Lloyd, K.
- Thoughts on the rise and future of online research ; 2010; Day, D.
- Trial by Ordeal, a medieval approach to a modern day problem; 2010; Cape, P., Cavallaro, K.
- Developing a Research Framework for Usability in Online Surveys: Human-Survey Interaction; 2010; Kaczmirek, L.
- A Study Of Technology Adoption By Researchers: Web and e-science infrastructures to enhance research...; 2010; Pearce, N.
- Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice: An Online Survey of 10-and 11-Year-Old Children in Northern...; 2010; Lloyd, K., Devine, P.
- The ESRC Survey Resources Network - Opportunities for the advancement of survey methods; 2010; Lynn, P., Erens, B.
- The use of web questionnaires in second language acquisition and bilingualism research; 2010; Wilson, R., Dewaele, J. M.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Innovations in Social Science Research Methods; 2009; Xenitidou, M., Gilbert, N.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- Sample Design for Understanding Society ; 2009; Lynn, P.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- The Decline And Fall Of The Response Rate: The Fightback ; 2009; Green, A., Staplehurst, S., Windle, R.
- A Structured Approach For Reducing Bias In Surveys Using Online Access Panels ; 2009; Farrer, N., Dayan, Y.
- Presenting Publications in Online Print Audience Questionnaires; 2009; Carroll, J., Collins, S., Farrer, N.