Web Survey Bibliography
Title Complementary and alternative medicine use by patients with inflammatory bowel disease: An Internet survey
Author Meddings, J.B., Hilsden, R.J., Verhoef, M.J.
Source Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, 13, 4, pp. 327-332
Access date 20.07.2004
Abstract OBJECTIVES: To determine the degree and determinants of the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) with the use of the Internet and to compare the results with those found by using a similar survey in patients attending gastroenterology clinics in Calgary, Alberta. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A cross-sectional survey of 263 patients with IBD with the use of a World Wide Web-based, structured questionnaire was conducted. RESULTS: Complementary therapies had been used by 46% of patients in the previous two years. Current use was reported by 34%. Vitamins, herbal products and natural health practices were the most commonly reported therapies. Side effects and lack of effectiveness of standard therapies were the most commonly cited reasons for seeking complementary medicine. However, despite this, respondents who had previously received surgery, or intravenous or oral steroids were less likely to be current CAM users. Important differences between the determinants of and reasons for CAM use in the present study and those of a similar study of IBD patients in a local tertiary care setting were noted. CONCLUSIONS: Complementary medicine use is common in patients with IBD. Differences in the determinants of and reasons for CAM use noted between the present Internet sample and a gastroenterology clinic sample suggest that conclusions from the present study and from previous studies based only on clinic samples provide a limited view of CAM use by people with IBD. More comprehensive assessments are needed.
Access/Direct link Entrez PubMed (abstract)
Year of publication1999
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Canada (111)
- Recruiting Probability-Based Web Panel Members Using an Address-Based Sample Frame: Results from a Pilot...; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M., Hendarwan, E.
- Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?; 2009; Johri, M.
- The Multi-Modal Future of Mobile Research: A Holistic Viewpoint; 2009; Cameron, M. R.
- Design Variations in Adaptive Web Sampling; 2008; Vincent, K. S.
- Effects of Pre-coding Response Options for Five Point Satisfaction Scale in Web Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T., Kruse, Y.
- National Surveys Via RDD Telephone Interviewing vs. the Internet: Comparing Sample Representativeness...; 2008; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- Enhancing the Travel Survey Process and Data Using the CATI System ; 2008; Morency, C.
- Between random samples and online panels; 2008; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J.
- Client run panels & web 2.0; 2008; Byam, A., Smith, J., Sykes, E.
- Use of a website to evaluate quality of work-life and quality of life among community workers helping...; 2008; Dupuis, G.
- 2006 Canadian Census Internet Mode Effect Study; 2008; Grondin, C., Sun, L.,
- Response Audit of an Internet Survey of Health Care Providers and Administrators: Implications for Determination...; 2008; Dobrow, M. J., Orchard, M. C., Golden, B.; Holowaty, E., Paszat, L., Brown, A. D., Sullivan, T.
- Web survey and representativeness: Close to three in ten Canadians do not have access to the Internet...; 2007; Bourque, C., Lafrance, S.
- An Internet-Based Stated Choices Household Survey for Alternative Fuelled Vehicles ; 2007; Potoglou, D., Kanaroglou, P. S.
- ONLINE DATA COLLECTION – SOLUTION OR BAND-AID?; 2007; Crassweller, A., Williams, D., Thompson, I.
- An Approach to Compare Online Survey Generating Tools; 2007; Zhang, J., Zhao, N.
- Internet and written respiratory questionnaires yield equivalent results for adolescents; 2007; Raat, H.,Mangunkusumo, R. T., Mohangoo, A. D., Juniper, E. F., Van Der Lei, J.
- What Difference Do Guidelines Make? An Observational Study of Online-questionnaire Design Guidelines...; 2006; Lumsden, J., Flinn, S., Anderson, M., Morgan, W.
- Privacy laws, internet scams and other challenges affecting panel research Strategies to mitigate risk...; 2006; Stark, D.
- Efficient Multimode Data Collection; 2006; Dolson, D.
- Formative Evaluation and Three-Month Follow-Up of an Online Personalized Assessment Feedback Intervention...; 2006; Cunningham, J. A., Humphreys, K., Kypri, K., van Mierlo, T.
- Online-Questionnaire Design: Establishing Guidelines and Evaluating Existing Support; 2005; Lumsden, J., Morgan, W.
- Sex, gender and self-concept: Understanding Internet usage rates for relationship-building applications...; 2005; Hupfer, M. E., Detlor, B.
- Challenges of Internet Recruitment: A Case Study with Disappointing Results; 2005; Koo, M., Skinner, H.
- Understanding the question-answer process; 2004; Bradburn, N. M.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison (2); 2004; Leece, P., Bhandari, M., Swiontkowski, M., Schemitsch, E., Tornetta, P., Devereaux, P. J., Guyatt, G...
- Conducting market research using the Internet: the case of Xenon Laboratories; 2004; Lockett, A., Blackman, I.
- Nurses' autonomy: influence of nurse managers' actions; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Comparison of the quality of qualitative data obtained through telephone, postal and email surveys; 2004; Coderre, F., St-Laurent, N., Mathieu, A.
- Web/Electronic Surveys: Description of Electronic Data Reporting Processes at Statistics Canada (Past...; 2004; Dubois, M. A.
- Applying New Methodologies in a Longitudinal Study of Young Conservative Jews; 2004; Keysar, A., Kosmin, B.
- Ethical Dilemmas in Research on Internet Communities; 2004; Flicker, S., Haans, D., Skinner, H.
- Hotlists and Web browsing behavior - an empirical investigation; 2004; Thakor, M. V., Borsuk, W., Kalamas, M.
- The Canadian experience in developing an outdoor reach & frequency model. Getting from there to here...; 2003; Falbo, M. E., van der Burgt, J.
- First installation of a virtual CATI phone room with full telephony integration; 2003; Tanguay, L.
- Achieving high response rates on web-based surveys of post-secondary students; 2003; Nichols, L.B., Ghadialy, R.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Comparing Internet “River,” Internet; 2003; Feld, K. G.
- Design implementation of a Multimode Web Survey; 2003; Wine, S.J., Cominole, M.B., Carwile, D.S., Perry, K.
- Partnering with a Newspaper to Assess Community Opinion Online; 2003; Downs, E.P., Lindley, A.M.
- Implementing a Web Survey Administration System at the GAO; 2003; Feldesman, A.G.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys With Physicians, What Works and What Doesn't Work; 2003; Schneiderman, M., Thran, S., Adams, C., Lerner, B.
- Using RGI (Respondent Generated Interval) to gather factual information in a web survey; 2003; Lusinchi, P.D.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- Web-Based Surveys for Data Gathering from Medical Educators: An Exploration of the Efficacy and Impact...; 2002; Lee, C., Frank, J. R., Cole, G., Mikhael, N. Z., Miles, C. A.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Assessment of Mode-Effects in a Web-enabled Study of Civic Attitudes; 2002; Laird, G., Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L., Pulliam, P.
- Government Perspective on Data Stewardship for Statistical Data; 2002; Brackstone, G., White, P.
- The Internet and Time Displacement: A Canadian Perspective; 2002; Pronovost, G.
- Privacy Perceptions and Online Practices; 2002; Viseu, A., Clement, A., Aspinall, J.