Web Survey Bibliography
Title Express: A Web-based technology to support human and computational experimentation
Author Yule, P., Cooper, R.P.
Source Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers, 35, 4, pp. 605-613
Database Ingenta Select
Access date 21.07.2004
Abstract Experimental cognitive psychology has been greatly assisted by the development of general computer-based experiment presentation packages. Typically, however, such packages provide little support for running participants on different computers. It is left to the experimenter to ensure that group sizes are balanced between conditions, and to merge data gathered on different computers once the experiment is complete. Equivalent issues arise in the evaluation of parameterised computational models, where it is frequently necessary to test a model's behaviour over a range of parameter values (which amount to between-subject factors), and where such testing can be speeded up significantly by the use of multiple processors. This paper describes Express, a web-based technology for co-ordinating ``clients'' (human participants or computational models) and collating client data. The technology provides an experiment design editor, client co-ordination facilities (e.g., automated randomised assignment of clients to groups such that group sizes are balanced), general data collation and tabulation facilities, a range of basic statistical functions (that are constrained by the specified experimental design), and facilities to export data to standard statistical packages (such as SPSS). We report case studies demonstrating the utility of Express in both human and computational experiments. Express may be freely downloaded from the Express website.
Access/Direct link Ingenta Select (full text)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (396)
- Unveiling the true value of ads; 2003; Wilberg, E., Hulten, S.
- Specific issue reach and specific issue effects. A welcome add on for print in the measurement of reach...; 2003; den Boon, A., Faasse, J.
- A Preliminary Structural Equation Model of Comprehension and Persuasion of Interactive Advertising Brand...; 2003; Macias, W.
- Two modalities, one answer? Combining Internet and CATI surveys effectively in market research; 2003; Oosterveld, P., Willems, P.
- Getting X-efficiency in marketing research; 2003; Potter, T., Oxley, M.
- Beyond online panels; 2003; Poynter, R., Comley, P.
- New Internet-driven choice modeling capabilities for global market research; 2003; Bakken, D. G., Nagel, J. N.
- Wireless. Communication and research medium?; 2003; Cooke, M., Nielsen, A., Strong, C.
- Measuring newspaper reading during summer period via mobile phones; 2003; Vogelius, L., Widman, L.
- Going mobile. The future of mobile data collection software, hardware, and research methodology; 2003; Cameron, M. R., Weisberg, J. R.
- Strong enough for adults? Interactive television as a research tool; 2003; Chaplin, J., Mills, J.
- Txt msg surveys. Return to sender?; 2003; Hofmann, O., Menti, M., Noyce, D.
- Data collection using electronically assisted interviews in a roadshow: A methodological evaluation; 2003; Marcella, R., Baxter, G., Moore, N.
- The effect of different methods of collecting data: Mail, telephone and filter data collection issues...; 2003; Hawthorne, G.
- Mobile survey wins over cold calls - Broadband: IT Business Special Report; 2003; Henderson, L.
- Electronic Survey Methodology: A Case Study in Reaching Hard to Involve Internet Users; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Reducing error in mail surveys; 2003; Cui, W. W.
- Multiple Answer Questions in Self-administered Surveys: The Use of Check-All-That-Apply and Forced-Choice...; 2003; Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D., Christian, L. M., Stern, M. J.
- Editing strategies used by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics in Data Collection over the Internet; 2003; Cohen, S. H.
- Impact of messages on concomitant use of nicotine replacement therapy and cigarettes: a randomized trial...; 2003; le Houezec, J., Landfeldt, B., Etter, J. -F.
- Improving email response in a permission marketing context; 2003; Kent, R., Brandal, H.
- Using on-line surveys to measure three key constructs of the quality of human–computer interaction...; 2003; van Schaik, P., Ling, J.
- The feasibility of computer-assisted survey interviewing in Africa: Experience from two rural districts...; 2003; Hewett, P. C., Erulkar, A. S., Mensch, B. S.
- Consistency in the reporting of sexual behavior among adolescent girls in Kenya: A comparison of interviewing...; 2003; Hewett, P. C., Mensch, B. S., Erulkar, A. S.
- GPRS m-telephone interviewing - a survey method for the future?; 2003; Tjostheim, I.
- Perceived Characteristics and Abilities of an Effective Marketing Department Head; 2003; Trocchia, P. J., Andrus, D. M.
- Best Practices in the Assessment of Hotel-guest Attitudes; 2003; Schall, M.
- Eminent Domain: An Evaluation Based on Criteria Relating to Equity, Effectiveness, and Efficiency; 2003; Cypher, M. L., Forgey, F. A.
- Explicating Web Site Interactivity: Impression Formation Effects in Political Campaign Sites; 2003; Sundar, S. S., Kalyanaraman, S., Brown, J.
- Patterns of Drug Use and the Influence of Gender on Self-Reports of Memory Ability in Ecstasy Users:...; 2003; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Broadening Public Access to Data through the Development of Tools for Data Novices; 2003; Card, J. J., Shapiro, L., Amarillas, A., McKean, E., Kuhn, T.
- How the Web Influenced Political Attitudes and Behaviors in the 1996 and 2000 Presidential Elections; 2003; Kaye, B. K., Johnson, T. J.
- Communities of Care and Caring: The Case of MSWatch.com(R); 2003; Weis, R., Stamm, K., Smith, C. B., Nilan, M., Clark, F., Weis, J., Kennedy, K.
- Safe Passages: Providing Online Support to Beginning Teachers; 2003; DeWert, M. H., Babinski, L. M., Jones, B. D.
- Determinants of Online Channel Use and Overall Satisfaction with a Relational, Multichannel Service...; 2003; Montoya-Weiss, M. M., Voss, G. B., Grewal, D.
- Massive Questionnaires for Personality Capture; 2003; Bainbridge, W. S.
- Internet Use and Misuse: Preliminary Findings from a New Assessment Instrument; 2003; Rotunda, R. J., Kass, S. J., Sutton, M. A., Leon, D. T.
- Around the World Wide Web in 80 Ways: How Motives for Going Online are Linked to Internet Activities...; 2003; Johnson, T. J., Kaye, B. K.
- The Relative Importance of External, Internal, Individual and Procedural Equity to Pay Satisfaction:...; 2003; Terpstra, D. E., Honoree, A. L.
- Survey of Transformative and Spiritual Dimensions of Higher Education; 2003; Duerr, M., Zajonc, A., Dana, D.
- Another Look At Technology Use In Classrooms: The Development And Validation Of An Instrument To Measure...; 2003; Hogarty, K. Y., Lang, T. R., Kromrey, J. D.
- Toward Improved Methods for Measurement of Utility: Automated Repair of Errors in Elicitations; 2003; Lenert, L. A., Sturley, A. E., Rupnow, M.
- Giving Voice to Students: Using the Internet for Data Collection; 2003; Shields, C. M.
- Show Your Real Face: A Fan Study of the UK Big Brother Transmissions (2000, 2001, 2002). Investigating...; 2003; Jones, J. M.
- Innovation in Online Research - Who Needs Online Panels?; 2003; Comley, P.
- If the Internet is so clever, why aren't we all rich!; 2003; Poynter, R.
- Comparison two modes of data collection: WWW and mail; 2003; Getka-Wilczynska, E.
- Interpreting Web vs paper mode choice using supplementary data; 2003; Himmelmann, M., Romano, M. F.
- Methodological aspects of comparisons between Web & paper surveys; 2003; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- What is the Future for Telephone Surveys?; 2003; Collins, M., Sykes, W.