Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet focus groups are not focus groups - so don't call them that
Author Greenbaum, T.
Source Quirk's Marketing Research Review, July, 1998
Access date 29.07.2004
Abstract One of the most talked about areas within the marketing profession is the use of the Internet to conduct marketing research studies. Many research companies have formed specific units to address the opportunities in this area, considering both qualitative and quantitative research studies. One of the most disturbing outcomes of this process has been the attempt to conduct focus groups using the Internet, implying that they represent a cost-effective and time-efficient replacement for the traditional focus group. My problem with this comes not with the concept of trying to collect qualitative information on the Internet, but rather in attempting to imply that qualitative research conducted on the Internet could be a replacement for the real thing. There probably is some logic to trying to use the Internet to develop qualitative inputs, but it is absurd to imply that the work which is conducted would be comparable to the output of traditional, professionally implemented focus groups.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6390)
- Do it yourself, Web-style; 2002; Glowa, T.
- Using phone methods in a digital age; 2002; Fitzgerald, A.
- Designing a Strategy for Reducing "No Opinion" Responses in Web-Based Surveys; 2002; de Rouvray, C., Couper, M. P.
- Characteristics of the Discussion in Online and Face-to-Face Focus Groups; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Kerwin, J., Frechtling, J., Vivari, B. A.
- Get your conjoint online, in several flavors; 2002; Deal, K.
- Think before you dial; 2002; Gillin, D. L.
- Developing and validating an instrument for measuring user-perceived web quality; 2002; Aladwani, A. M., Palvia, P. C.
- Post-industrial transformations and cyber-space: a cross-national analysis of Internet development; 2002; Robison, K. K., Crenshaw, E. M.
- Effect of trust on customer acceptance of Internet banking; 2002; Suh, B., Han, I.
- Calling all customers; 2002; Long, J., Whinston, A. B., Tomak, K.
- Citizen Surveys on the Web: General Population Surveys of Community Opinion; 2002; Miller, T. I., Miller Kobayashi, M., Caldwell, E., Thurston, S., Collett, B.
- Methods of Internet data collection and implications for recruiting respondents; 2002; Roos, M.
- Online, but on target? Internet-based MBA courses; 2002; McGorry, S. Y.
- An Internet survey for perceptions of computers and the World Wide Web: relationship, prediction, and...; 2002; Shu Shenga, L.
- Social Networks of Intensive Internet Users; 2002; Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Attitudes toward Internet Privacy: Slovenian Internet users's view; 2002; Kovacic, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Comparison of Quality in Open-end Responses and Response Rates Between Web-based and Paper and Pencil...; 2002; MacElroy, B., Mikucki, J., McDowell, P.
- Use of Pre-incentives in an Internet Survey; 2002; Downes-Le Guin, T., Janowitz, P., Stone, R., Khorram, S.
- Internet loyalty programs: Lessons learned for Internet-based development research; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Khubani, A., Stanley, J.
- Establishing data validity in conjoint: Experiences with Internet-based ‘mega-studies’; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Moskowitz, J., Beckley, J., Mascuch, T., Adams, J., Sendros, A., Keeling, C.
- Personality research on the Internet: A comparison of Web-based and traditional instruments in take-...; 2002; Cronk, B. C., West, J. L.
- SurveyMonkey.com - Web-Based Survey and Evaluation System: http://www.SurveyMonkey.com; 2002; Gordon, A.
- Innovations in Survey Research: An Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Sills, S.J., Song, C.
- Online survey techniques: Current issues and future trends; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Online Surveys and Internet Research; 2002; Comley, P.
- Work-life balance among Croatian employees: role time commitment, work-home interference and well-being...; 2002; Sverko, B.B., Araasic, L., Galesic, M.
- BOOK REVIEW: Internet communications and qualitative research: A hand-book for research online; 2002; Dowling, Z.
- Data collection through web-based technology; 2002; Swartz, R.W., Hancock, C.
- Print versus electronic surveys: a comparison of two data collection methodologies; 2002; Boyer, K. K., Olson, J., Calantone, R. J., Jackson, E. C.
- Online Data Collection; 2002; Topp, N.W., Pawloski, B.
- PRESTO: Combining Internet survey methodologies with a student panel; 2002; Prince, K., Woodley, A., Joinson, A. N.
- The Internet and Time Displacement: A Canadian Perspective; 2002; Pronovost, G.
- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Research; 2002; Puig, M.
- Daily Activity and Internet Use in Dual-Earner Families: A Weekly Time-Diary Approach; 2002; Fu, S.- J., Wang, R., Qui, Y.
- Navigation Patterns in Web Surveys; 2002; Ramirez, C. M.
- The Use of Online Market Research in Stakeholder Relationship Management; 2002; Reichmann, S.
- Open vs. closed questions in Web surveys; 2002; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Restricted privacy: Information privacy as a culture-specific construct; 2002; Ribak, R.
- Why Internet Samples Are Inherently Biased; 2002; Neustadtl, A., Kestnbaum, M., Robinson, J. P.
- Electronic data collection in Statistic Norway; 2002; Saebo, H.V., Gloersen, R., Sve, D.
- Web vs Mail Survey Response Rates: Comparisons for an High Education Population; 2002; Romano, M. F.
- Methods for Improving Compliance in Exposure Studies; 2002; Dimitropoulos, L., Thalji, L., Weibe, L.
- The Impact of Privacy and Security Concerns on the Willingness to Provide Sensitive Information about...; 2002; Aoki, K., Elasmar, M. G.
- Ethics revisited: Traditional research ethics and new ethical challenges in reseraching internet contexts...; 2002; Elgesem, D.
- Internet studies and new ethical challenges - making common ground in the international researcher society...; 2002; Ess, C.
- 'Email for candidates' - Experiences with an Email-Survey among running candidates in a state election...; 2002; Faas, T.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Internet research surveys: Evidence from the literature; 2002; Fricker, R. D., Schonlau, M.
- Citizen Perceptions of Community Policing: Comparing Internet and Mail Survey Responses; 2002; Ballard, C., Prine, R.
- Comparison of psychologists' self image and their image in the Internet and in print; 2002; Rietz, I., Wahl, S.