Web Survey Bibliography
Title From PAPI to CAPI: consequences for data quality on the British Household Panel Study
Author Laurie, H.
Source Working Papers of the Institute for Social and Economic Research, Colchester: University of Essex, paper 2003-14
Access date 09.08.2004
Full text pdf (76k)
Abstract This paper describes the conversion from PAPI to CAPI of the British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) and examines the implications of the move to CAPI for data quality. The BHPS is a panel survey of some 10,000 individuals in 5,000 households in Britain carried out by the Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) based at the University of Essex in the UK. Wave 9 of the BHPS went into the field using a CAPI mode of data collection for the first time in September 1999. Moving to CAPI midway in the life of a panel survey presents particular challenges including comparability of questionnaire design, secure fieldwork and sample management procedures, minimising mode effects, maintaining data quality, ensuring a positive response from respondents, adequate interviewer training and experience, and having secure data output routines in place. The paper describes the procedures adopted by the BHPS, including the design conventions implemented to maintain comparability between the PAPI and CAPI instruments, and the procedures used in the field to minimise any adverse reaction from panel respondents. The paper then assesses whether any mode effects are apparent within the data. The paper examines monetary amounts such as reported housing costs and income, the consistency of ome key measures such as economic activity status, occupation and industry, as well as questions requiring verbatim text entry and post-field coding. Using the PAPI data from earlier waves and the CAPI data from Wave 9, the data are compared to assess both cross-sectional consistency in the distributions as well as longitudinal comparability.
Access/Direct link ISER (full text)
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Year of publication2003
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (403)
- Real Profile. A new approach to online media planning; 2003; Ejdys, P., Cisek, T., Modzelewski, C.
- A new paradigm in interactive audience measurement. Census methodology used to produce online audience...; 2003; Webb, R., Long, M., Caldwell, J.
- Defining the gold standard for user centric global online audience measurement. Developing global standards...; 2003; Goosey, R. W.
- The Canadian experience in developing an outdoor reach & frequency model. Getting from there to here...; 2003; Falbo, M. E., van der Burgt, J.
- The pros and cons of using GPS in outdoor research. The Italian experience; 2003; Mezzasalma, A.
- Online vs. offline administration of print audience measurement studies. A statistical comparison; 2003; Melton, E., Vriens, M.
- Unveiling the true value of ads; 2003; Wilberg, E., Hulten, S.
- Specific issue reach and specific issue effects. A welcome add on for print in the measurement of reach...; 2003; den Boon, A., Faasse, J.
- A Preliminary Structural Equation Model of Comprehension and Persuasion of Interactive Advertising Brand...; 2003; Macias, W.
- Two modalities, one answer? Combining Internet and CATI surveys effectively in market research; 2003; Oosterveld, P., Willems, P.
- Getting X-efficiency in marketing research; 2003; Potter, T., Oxley, M.
- Beyond online panels; 2003; Poynter, R., Comley, P.
- New Internet-driven choice modeling capabilities for global market research; 2003; Bakken, D. G., Nagel, J. N.
- Wireless. Communication and research medium?; 2003; Cooke, M., Nielsen, A., Strong, C.
- Measuring newspaper reading during summer period via mobile phones; 2003; Vogelius, L., Widman, L.
- Going mobile. The future of mobile data collection software, hardware, and research methodology; 2003; Cameron, M. R., Weisberg, J. R.
- Strong enough for adults? Interactive television as a research tool; 2003; Chaplin, J., Mills, J.
- Txt msg surveys. Return to sender?; 2003; Hofmann, O., Menti, M., Noyce, D.
- Data collection using electronically assisted interviews in a roadshow: A methodological evaluation; 2003; Marcella, R., Baxter, G., Moore, N.
- The effect of different methods of collecting data: Mail, telephone and filter data collection issues...; 2003; Hawthorne, G.
- Mobile survey wins over cold calls - Broadband: IT Business Special Report; 2003; Henderson, L.
- Electronic Survey Methodology: A Case Study in Reaching Hard to Involve Internet Users; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Reducing error in mail surveys; 2003; Cui, W. W.
- Multiple Answer Questions in Self-administered Surveys: The Use of Check-All-That-Apply and Forced-Choice...; 2003; Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D., Christian, L. M., Stern, M. J.
- Editing strategies used by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics in Data Collection over the Internet; 2003; Cohen, S. H.
- Impact of messages on concomitant use of nicotine replacement therapy and cigarettes: a randomized trial...; 2003; le Houezec, J., Landfeldt, B., Etter, J. -F.
- Improving email response in a permission marketing context; 2003; Kent, R., Brandal, H.
- Using on-line surveys to measure three key constructs of the quality of human–computer interaction...; 2003; van Schaik, P., Ling, J.
- The feasibility of computer-assisted survey interviewing in Africa: Experience from two rural districts...; 2003; Hewett, P. C., Erulkar, A. S., Mensch, B. S.
- Consistency in the reporting of sexual behavior among adolescent girls in Kenya: A comparison of interviewing...; 2003; Hewett, P. C., Mensch, B. S., Erulkar, A. S.
- GPRS m-telephone interviewing - a survey method for the future?; 2003; Tjostheim, I.
- Perceived Characteristics and Abilities of an Effective Marketing Department Head; 2003; Trocchia, P. J., Andrus, D. M.
- Best Practices in the Assessment of Hotel-guest Attitudes; 2003; Schall, M.
- Eminent Domain: An Evaluation Based on Criteria Relating to Equity, Effectiveness, and Efficiency; 2003; Cypher, M. L., Forgey, F. A.
- Explicating Web Site Interactivity: Impression Formation Effects in Political Campaign Sites; 2003; Sundar, S. S., Kalyanaraman, S., Brown, J.
- Patterns of Drug Use and the Influence of Gender on Self-Reports of Memory Ability in Ecstasy Users:...; 2003; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Broadening Public Access to Data through the Development of Tools for Data Novices; 2003; Card, J. J., Shapiro, L., Amarillas, A., McKean, E., Kuhn, T.
- How the Web Influenced Political Attitudes and Behaviors in the 1996 and 2000 Presidential Elections; 2003; Kaye, B. K., Johnson, T. J.
- Communities of Care and Caring: The Case of MSWatch.com(R); 2003; Weis, R., Stamm, K., Smith, C. B., Nilan, M., Clark, F., Weis, J., Kennedy, K.
- Safe Passages: Providing Online Support to Beginning Teachers; 2003; DeWert, M. H., Babinski, L. M., Jones, B. D.
- Determinants of Online Channel Use and Overall Satisfaction with a Relational, Multichannel Service...; 2003; Montoya-Weiss, M. M., Voss, G. B., Grewal, D.
- Massive Questionnaires for Personality Capture; 2003; Bainbridge, W. S.
- Internet Use and Misuse: Preliminary Findings from a New Assessment Instrument; 2003; Rotunda, R. J., Kass, S. J., Sutton, M. A., Leon, D. T.
- Around the World Wide Web in 80 Ways: How Motives for Going Online are Linked to Internet Activities...; 2003; Johnson, T. J., Kaye, B. K.
- The Relative Importance of External, Internal, Individual and Procedural Equity to Pay Satisfaction:...; 2003; Terpstra, D. E., Honoree, A. L.
- Survey of Transformative and Spiritual Dimensions of Higher Education; 2003; Duerr, M., Zajonc, A., Dana, D.
- Another Look At Technology Use In Classrooms: The Development And Validation Of An Instrument To Measure...; 2003; Hogarty, K. Y., Lang, T. R., Kromrey, J. D.
- Toward Improved Methods for Measurement of Utility: Automated Repair of Errors in Elicitations; 2003; Lenert, L. A., Sturley, A. E., Rupnow, M.
- Giving Voice to Students: Using the Internet for Data Collection; 2003; Shields, C. M.
- Show Your Real Face: A Fan Study of the UK Big Brother Transmissions (2000, 2001, 2002). Investigating...; 2003; Jones, J. M.