Web Survey Bibliography
Title Computer assisted coding
Author Bushnell, D.
Source Westlake, A. et al. (Eds): New Methods in Survey Research. Proceedings from the 'New Methods in Survey Research' conference, organized by Association for Survey Computing, 1998
Access date 12.08.2004
Presentation ppt (385k)
Abstract Most of the social surveys carried out by the Office for National Statistics are conducted using computer-assisted interviewing. Occupation coding is carried out by interviewers, at home after the interview, using traditional clerical methods. This article describes a study carried out to evaluate the impact of computer-assisted coding on the quality of coded occupation data. An experiment was conducted comparing clerical coding to two computer-assisted coding systems, with respect to reliability and accuracy of coding, cost, speed and ease of use. The article concludes that computer-assisted coding of occupation by interviewers is feasible, but that the quality of the resulting data is dependent on the coding system used.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (presentation)
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Year of publication1998
Web Survey Bibliography (6797)
- Who Participates and Why?; 2003; Weber, L. M., Loumakis, A., Bergman, J.
- Collecting Data on Ego-Centered Social Networks on the Web; 2003; Koren, G., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V., Hlebec, V.
- Latent Class Models for Studying Measurement-Related Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2003; McCutcheon, A. L.
- Item Non-Response Reminder in a Web Survey; 2003; Fuchs, M.
- Methodological Issues in Mobile Phone Surveys; 2003; Vehovar, V., Batagelj, Z., Callegaro, M., Fuchs, M., Kuusela, V.
- How Visual Design Influences Responses to Internet and Other Self -Administered Questionnaires; 2003; Dillman, D. A.
- Design and Measurement Issues in Web Surveys; 2003; Couper, M. P.
- Web-Based Data Collection in Establishment Survey; 2003; Jeon, J.
- The Importance of Timeframe and Advertisement in Internet Surveys: An Exploratory Analysis; 2003; Casanovas, J., Esteves, J., Pastor, J.
- Potentiality of propensity scores methods in weighting for Web surveys: a simulation study based on...; 2003; Biffignandi, S., Toninelli, D., Pratesi, M.
- Statistik-Online- A New Approach to Collect Statistical Data by Internet; 2003; Pricking, T.
- Online Social Research: Methods, Issues, And Ethics:Issues Of Attribution And Identification In Online...; 2003; Barnes, S.
- Submit, Resist, or Subvert?: Organization Members’ Responses to Electronic Surveillance; 2003; Coopman, S., Watkins Allen, M., Hart, J.
- Applying The Tailored Design To Internet Surveys With College Students; 2003; Cotten, S. R.
- New Approaches Towards Collecting Data On Ego-Centered Social Networks - Interactive Web Questionnaires...; 2003; Koren, G., Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- The Revolution Masterclass on Online research; 2003; Smith, P.
- Online relevance for competitive intelligence; 2003; Ojala, M.
- The Internet and financial planning practices; 2003; Yunich, R. H.
- Virtual Religion: A Study Of Spiritual Webmasters; 2003; McDaniel, T.
- Net research is not quite global; 2003; Parmar, A.
- Material Incentives in Web Surveys - A Meta-Analysis; 2003; Goeritz, A.
- Survey metrics ward off problems; 2003; Brown, J.
- We've got your numbers; 2003; Goddard, C.
- Web efforts energize customer research; 2003; Hogg, A.
- An Alternative Method for Poll Survey: Possibility of Using Mobile Phone Survey; 2003; Kang, M., Cho, S.
- The Clash of Traditional and New Media in the 2002 Korean Presidential Election; 2003; Loh, T.
- Utility of Web-based assessment of patient satisfaction with endoscopy; 2003; Harewood, G. C., Wiersema, M. J., de Groen, P. C.
- Innovative Web use to learn about consumer behavior and online privacy; 2003; Earp, J. B., Baumer, D.
- Cybersurveys come of age; 2003; Ray, N. M., Tabor, S. W.
- From paper to pixels: Moving personnel surveys to the Web; 2003; Thompson, L. F., Surface, E. A., Martin, D. L., Sanders, M. G.
- An empirical study on the adoption of information appliances with a focus on interactive TV; 2003; Choi, H., Choi, M., Kim, J., Yu, H.
- How much can technology help research?; 2003; Glass, N.
- Visiting rural "virtual villages" through online surveys and online ethnography; 2003; Skerratt, S., Warren, M.
- We seek them here, we seek them there. How technical innovation in mixed mode survey software is responding...; 2003; Macer, T.
- Internet-based Stated Preference Surveys: studies in public transport and traffic information; 2003; Killi, M., Nossum A.
- The Use of SMS as a Research Tool; 2003; Cooke, M., Strong, C., Nielsen, A.
- The Gold Standard Tarnishes: Is Online Research the Solution?; 2003; Coates, D.
- Mobile Phones and Telephone Survey Methods; 2003; Kuusela, V.
- SMS Polling: A Methodological Review; 2003; Duke, S.
- SuperCollect: A data capture system using an electronic network; 2003; Stol, H. R.
- Successfully Delivering Technology for Online Research; 2003; Bayer, L. R., Milla, P.
- The Effect of Images on Web Survey Responses; 2003; Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Effectiveness of Progress Indicators in Web Surveys: It's what's up front that counts; 2003; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Salutations and Response Rates on Online Surveys; 2003; Pearson, J.
- Comparison of E-mail, Fax, and Postal Surveys of Pediatricians; 2003; McMahon, S. R., Iwamoto, M., Massoudi, M. S., Yusuf, H. R., Stevenson, J. M., David, F., Chu, S. Y.,...
- Costs and benefits of improving response rates for a hard-to-reach population; 2003; Teitler, J. O., Reichman, N. E.,
- Humanizing self-administered surveys: experiments on social presence in web and IVR surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Stegier, D.M.Steiger, D. M.; de Rouvray, C.
- Web Surveys as Part of a Mixed-Mode Strategy for Populations That Cannot Be Contacted by E-Mail; 2003; Schonlau, M., Asch, B. J., Du, C.
- Use of Internet Tools for Survey Research; 2003; Truell, A. D.
- The effect of incentives in web surveys: application and ethical considerations; 2003; Cobanoglu, N., Cobanoglu, C.