Web Survey Bibliography
Title Emerging trends in the WWW user population
Source Communications of the ACM, 39, 6, pp. 106-108
Access date 17.08.2004
Full text pdf (37k)
Abstract Although vast amounts of attention and resources have recently been devoted toward the World Wide Web, relatively little research has been conducted examining Web usage and societal implications. With the goals of understanding the Web user population and promoting the Web as a viable surveying medium, the WWW User Surveys were initially conducted by the Georgia Institute of Technology's Graphics, Visualization, and Usability Center during January 1994. Subsequent surveys have been administered approximately every 6 months thereafter. Each survey is conducted for one month using the limited interactivity of the Web, where users point and click on responses within their Web browsers and submit results to a centralized server for processing. The results of the first 4 surveys are discussed. Throughout the 4 surveys, substantial shifts in the characteristics of Web users have occurred. Changes in user demographics, content providers, and usage patterns among WWW users are examined.
Year of publication1996
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6476)
- Triangulation: Three Modes Measuring HIV-Related Knowledge and Stigma in the U.S; 2002; Fichtner, R., Knight, S., Lentine, D.
- Using Online Surveys to Reduce Survey Costs, Deliver Real Time Results and Better Meet Customer Preferences...; 2002; Sprague, S.
- Delivering Global Customer Satisfaction through A Web Enabled Survey Process at NCR; 2002; Gerrard, M.
- Weaving Web Surveys that Work; 2002; Nucifora, A.
- Mode Effects for Collecting Alcohol and Other Drug Use Data: Web and U.S. Mail; 2002; Crawford, S. D., d'Arcy, H., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- The Mouse or the Pencil? A Psychometric Comparison of Web-Based and Traditional Survey Methodologies; 2002; Mertler, C. A., Earley, M. A.
- An Empirical Investigation of Antecedents of B2B Websites' Effectiveness; 2002; Chakraborty, G., Lala, V., Warren, D.
- Web Survey Say....; 2002; Anonymous
- BCE & AXA Overcome Access and Confidentiality Hurdles to Web Surveys; 2002; Anonymous
- Principia Makes Web Form Design Easier; 2002; Anonymous
- Methodologies for crawler based Web surveys; 2002; Thelwall, M.
- Introduction to the Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Timmerman, A.
- Web based methodologies and techniques to monitor electronic resources use in university libraries; 2002; Civardi, M., Maffenini, W., Zavarrone, E.
- Improving Quality of Surveys; 2002; Marker, D.
- Satisfaction Scales in a CAWI Survey on University Teaching Evaluation; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Identifying and Reducing the Response Burden in Internet Business Surveys; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Roll-Hansen, D., Notnes, T.
- Evaluation of a Questionnaire Design for Dependent Interviewing in a Web Survey; 2002; Hoogendoorn, A.
- Using the Multimedia Capabilities of Web-Enabled Probability-Based Survey Methodology to Gather Vaccination...; 2002; McCready, W. C., Dennis, J. M., Thalji, L.
- Web as questionnaire designing tool: Is there a limit?; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Usability Testing of Web Data Collection Instruments; 2002; Wiebe, E. F., Thalji, L.
- Conducting Research Surveys via E-mail and the Web; 2002; Schonlau, M., Elliot, M. N., Fricker, R. D.
- Mobile phone in sample surveys; 2002; Roy, G., Vanheuverzwyn, A.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.
- A comparison of World-Wide Web and paper-and-pencil personality questionnaires; 2002; Pettit, F. A.
- Response rate, speed, and completeness: A comparison of Internet-based and mail surveys; 2002; Truell, A. D., Bartlett, J. E., Alexander, M. W.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Integrating paper and web instrument development to enhance efficiency and standardization; 2002; House, C. C.
- Composite Estimators for Complex Sampling; 2002; Nicolini, G., Presti, A. L.
- AESDirect. Internet Data Collection of U.S. Export Information; 2002; Horner, G. J.
- A Comparison Between Mail and Web Surveys: Response Pattern, Respondent Profile, and Data Quality; 2002; Kwak, N., Radler, B.T.
- Beyond logs and surveys: In-depth measures of people's Web use skills; 2002; Hargittai, E.
- Problems Confronting Japanese Marketing Research Industry: Report of Attitude Study Findings from Research...; 2002; Kobayashi, K.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Employing a mixed-mode qualitative research method prior to conducting quantitative research; 2002; Metzler, D. P., Davis, P. C.
- Evaluation of neural networks to detect suspicious answers in attitude and evaluation research; 2002; Martini, M. C.
- Design of Web Survey Questionnaires: Three Basic Experiments; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Batagelj, Z., Vehovar, V.
- Do it yourself, Web-style; 2002; Glowa, T.
- Using phone methods in a digital age; 2002; Fitzgerald, A.
- Designing a Strategy for Reducing "No Opinion" Responses in Web-Based Surveys; 2002; de Rouvray, C., Couper, M. P.
- Characteristics of the Discussion in Online and Face-to-Face Focus Groups; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Kerwin, J., Frechtling, J., Vivari, B. A.
- Get your conjoint online, in several flavors; 2002; Deal, K.
- Think before you dial; 2002; Gillin, D. L.
- Developing and validating an instrument for measuring user-perceived web quality; 2002; Aladwani, A. M., Palvia, P. C.
- Post-industrial transformations and cyber-space: a cross-national analysis of Internet development; 2002; Robison, K. K., Crenshaw, E. M.
- Effect of trust on customer acceptance of Internet banking; 2002; Suh, B., Han, I.
- Calling all customers; 2002; Long, J., Whinston, A. B., Tomak, K.
- Citizen Surveys on the Web: General Population Surveys of Community Opinion; 2002; Miller, T. I., Miller Kobayashi, M., Caldwell, E., Thurston, S., Collett, B.
- Methods of Internet data collection and implications for recruiting respondents; 2002; Roos, M.
- Online, but on target? Internet-based MBA courses; 2002; McGorry, S. Y.
- An Internet survey for perceptions of computers and the World Wide Web: relationship, prediction, and...; 2002; Shu Shenga, L.