Web Survey Bibliography
Title Virtual subjects: Using the Internet as an alternative source of subjects and research environment
Author Smith M. A., Leigh, B.
Source Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers, 29, 4, pp. 496-505
Access date 19.08.2004
Abstract This paper presents a rationale for why some researchers might consider using the Internet for research by addressing four issues. First, a few unique research opportunities afforded by the Internet are discussed. Second, the utility of using newsgroups and the Telnet protocol is described. Third, Internet research ethical guidelines in five areas are developed. Fourth, the data validity issue is addressed, and previous research using Internet and introductory psychology subject samples is replicated. The samples were similar on 5 of 7 demographic variables but differed in age and sex compositions, and response patterns for the two samples were similar to those reported previously. Finally, some Limitations of the Internet are considered, as are its potentials to fulfill traditional research requirements and its use as an educational aid.
Year of publication1997
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6332)
- The Impact of the Internet on Society; 2002; Allin, P., Bowman, J., Cooper-Green, E. J., Randall, C.
- Can Adopters Narrow the Digital Divide? The Case of Greece; 2002; Leandros, N.
- Measuring the Digital Divide; 2002; Riccardini, F., Fazio, M.
- Proprietary market research: are online panels appropriate?; 2002; McDevitt, P. K., Small, M. H.
- Trends in household survey nonresponse: A longitudinal and international comparison; 2001; de Leeuw, E. D., de Heer, W.
- The construction of attitudes; 2001; Schwarz, N., Bohnerd, G.
- Subscale distance and item clustering effects in self-administered surveys: A new metric; 2001; Bradlow, E. T., Fitzsimons, G. J.
- Sociability and usability in online communities: determining and measuring success; 2001; Preece, J.
- On the use of college students in social science research: Insights from a second‐order meta...; 2001; Peterson, R. A.
- Introduction to behavioral research on the internet; 2001; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Improving the measurement of quality of life in older people: the York SF-12; 2001; Iglesias, C. P., Birks, Y. F., Torgerson, D. J.
- Experiments on column width spacing in the University of Michigan Student Life Survey; 2001; Boyd, C. J., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Crawford, S. D.
- Building an alternative response process model for business surveys; 2001; Willimack, D. K., Nichols, E. M.
- Ethische Dimensionen der Online-Forschung; 2001; Dzeyk, W.
- Panel Bias from Attrition and Conditioning: A Case Study of the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2001; Clinton, J. D.
- Standards for Quality Assurance for Online Surveys; 2001
- Differential effects of Ecstasy and cannabis on self-reports of memory ability: a web-based study; 2001; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Ethical issues in qualitative research on internet communities; 2001; Eysenbach, G., Till, E. J.
- Web experiment on colour harmony principles applied to computer user interface design; 2001; Laugwitz, B.
- Knowledge acquisition, navigation and eye movements from text and hypertext; 2001; Naumann, A., Waniek, J., Krems, J. F.
- Stimulus delivery on the Web: What can be presented when calibration isn t possible; 2001; Krantz, J. H.
- Score Reliability in Webor Internet-Based Surveys: Unnumbered Graphic Rating Scales versus Likert-Type...; 2001; Cook, C., Heath, F., Thompson, R. L., Thompson, B.
- Lessons Learned from the Administration of a Web-Based Survey; 2001; Mertler, C. A.
- A Comparison of Web-based and Paper-and-Pencil Library Satisfaction Survey Results; 2001; Perkins, G. H., Yuan, H.
- A Comparison of the Random Digit Dialing Telephone Survey Methodology with Internet Survey Methodology...; 2001; Chang, L. C., Krosnick, J. A.
- On-line student feedback: A pilot study ; 2001; Galbraith, L. B., Gee, P., Jennings, F., Riley, R.
- Comparing Two Survey Research Approaches: E-Mail and Web-Based Technology versus Traditional Mail ; 2001; Howes, C. M., Mailloux, M. R.
- Probability-Based Survey Research on the Internet; 2001; Krotki, K., Dennis, J. M.
- Population Censuses on the Internet; 2001; Haug, W.
- Internet Surveys - Potentials for Use in Scientific Research; 2001; Galesic, M.
- Comparing social desirability responding on world wide web and paper-administered surveys; 2001; Hancock, D. R., Flowers, C. P.
- Facilitating research; 2001; Eysenbach, G., Wyatt, J. C.
- Metaevaluation of the Web-Based ATE Survey Evaluation System; 2001; Hartmann, D., Loizides, G.
- Online Data Collection With Special Populations Over the World Wide Web; 2001; Marcell, M. M., Falls, A. L.
- Trials and Tribulations: Conducting an Online, Web-based Survey; 2001; Jankowski, N. W., Van Selm, M.
- Reliability And Comparability Of Choice-Based Measures: Online and Paper-and-Pencil Methods of Administration...; 2001; Miller, T. W., Rake, D., Sumimoto, T., Hollman, P. S.
- Experimental analysis of survey response bias over the internet: Some results from the Retirement Perspectives...; 2001; McFadden, D., Winter, J.
- Retaining Virtue in a Virtual World: E-surveys in Public Policy Research; 2001; Mallett, T.
- Literature Review of Web and E-mail Surveys, Chapter III; 2001; Schonlau, M., Fricker, R. D., Elliot, M. N.
- Comparing Two Survey Approaches: Web and Traditional Mail; 2001; Howes, C. M., Mailloux, M. R.
- Weighting for nontelephone households in RDD surveys; 2001; Ferraro, D., Brick, J. M.
- A Comparison Of Electronic Surveying By E-Mail And Web; 2001; Brawner, C. E., Felder, R. M., Allen, R. H., Brent, R., Miller, T. K.
- Satisfaction Survey by Web or by Paper? A Case Study; 2001; Laughlin, B.
- Response Rates in Internet Surveys – Experiences from an Online Expert Survey into WAP for business...; 2001; Marcussen, C. H.
- Investigating Validity in Web Surveys; 2001; Satmetrix Systems
- The Usage of the Email Message/Internet Surveys Compared With Other Methods of Collecting Data; 2001; Thistlethwaite, P. C., Luker, K., Ransdell, T.
- Knowing Me, Knowing You: Reciprocal Self-Disclosure in Internet-Based Surveys; 2001; Joinson, A. N.
- Two online surveys of Italian Internet audiences: a summary of findings; 2001; Magistretti, S.
- Advertising research in the 21st century. A new method for the Internet age; 2001; Hollier, E. A., Remington, K. C.