Web Survey Bibliography
Title Communicability of Emotions in Computer-mediated Communication
Source In U.-D. Reips, B. Batinic, W. Bandilla, M. Bosnjak, L. Gräf, K. Moser, & A. Werner (Eds./Hrsg.), Current Internet science - trends, techniques, results. Aktuelle Online Forschung - Trends, Techniken, Ergebnisse. Zürich: Online Press.
Access date 19.08.2004
Abstract The chances, advantages and disadvantages of computer-mediated communication (CMC) are the source of contradictory opinions and research findings. Despite of the advantages of high-speed world-wide communication, criticists describe CMC as unpersonal and emotionally restrained, due to the lack of nonverbal communication channels, which might cause emotional and social isolation. A Web-based questionnaire was used to rate different media regarding their suitability for emotion mediation. A strong effect of media and an interaction between media and direction of communication could be found. Furthermore gender differences in communicating emotions, which are known in face-to-face communication, were also apparent in CMC. We further investigated the use of graphical emoticons, which may serve as an alternative way to communicate emotions. Knowledge, the frequency of use and the subjective attributed meaning of emoticons were assessed. Only a limited number of different emoticons are relevant and in use. A higher frequency of use of emoticons is positively correlated with the perceived communicability of emotions in CMC.
Year of publication1999
Bibliographic typeBook section
Web Survey Bibliography - In U.-D. Reips, B. Batinic, W. Bandilla, M. Bosnjak, L. Gräf, K. Moser, & A. Werner (Eds./Hrsg.), Current Internet science - trends, techniques, results. Aktuelle Online Forschung - Trends, Techniken, Ergebnisse. Zürich: Online Press. (16)
- Online-replication of results from evolutionary psychology research – sex differences in sexual...; 1999; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Gindl, A.
- The Image and Experience of Internet; 1999; Epple, M., Guenoun, R., Schäfer, J., Cantoni, L.
- Online research with children; 1999; Reips, U. -D.
- Computer Literacy and Attitudes toward the Computer: On the Equivalence of Online- und Paper-Pencil-...; 1999; Richter, T., Naumann, J., Noller, S.
- The Computer as a Medium for Media Integration. Results and Experiences of an international online and...; 1999; Beck, K., Raulfs, Al.
- Conjoint analysis of individual preferences over the Internet; 1999; Melles, T., Luzar, M.
- How Do Web Communicators Work?; 1999; Rossler, P., Kloevekorn, N., Rebuzzi, T.
- Conception and Implementation of the Siemens Employee Survey with Continuous Immediate Valuation through...; 1999; Bauer, W., Hauptmann, C.
- Employee-surveys via intranet; 1999; Deutschmann, M.,
- Communicability of Emotions in Computer-mediated Communication; 1999; Hartig, J., Jude, N., Moosbrugger, H.
- Multimedia in professional education within companies - status-quo and development; 1999; Doebler, T., Dold, C., Stark, B.
- Online Research - Acceptability and prevalence; 1999; Spintig, S.
- Online-Offline. A theoretical Approach to define a crucial Category of Online Research; 1999; Berker, T.
- An empirical comparison of traditional and web-based experimental survey administration: Could it be...; 1999; Frey, B.F.
- Ethical decision making in business: A comparison between New Zealand decision makers and a World Wide...; 1999; Frey, B.F.