Web Survey Bibliography
Title Program for surveillance of causes of death of dogs, using the Internet to survey small animal veterinarians
Author Gobar, G. M., Case, J. T., Kass, P. H.
Source Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 213, 2, pp. 251-256
Access date 19.08.2004
Abstract OBJECTIVE: To develop a prototype program for surveillance of causes of death of dogs, using resources developed for the World Wide Web, to enable collection of data from veterinarians in small animal practice and dissemination of results in a timely manner at minimal expense. DESIGN: Epidemiologic survey. SAMPLE POPULATION: Small animal veterinarians who were members of NOAH, Veterinary Information Network (VIN), or VetPlus-L. PROCEDURE: Internet electronic communications and Web pages were used for solicitation and collection of data, dissemination of results, and follow-up discussions with participants. Data were stored in a relational database. RESULTS: 25 veterinarians actively submitted case material. On the basis of analysis by region and school of veterinary medicine attended, these veterinarians were representative of all small animal practitioners in the United States. During the 6-month study, 621 case reports were submitted. Analysis of results included determination of number of dogs, with proportions calculated for primary reason for death, primary clinical sign, and breed, as well as creation of a map depicting distribution of the practitioners. Additional data were obtained for analysis to provide information of interest. CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: A national database representative of dogs examined by small animal practitioners would be a valuable source of information. Rapidly and easily accessible return of information and results is important for any surveillance system. The program described here appears to be a successful method for collecting data from practitioners.
Access/Direct link Entrez PubMed (abstract)
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 1998 (169)
- Research and the Internet; 1998; Scott, C. M., Hilsden, R. J., Verhoef, M. J.
- The Internet and Market Research: Where can we go Today?; 1998; Banks, R.
- Using the Internet for Primary Research Data Collection; 1998; Farmer, T.
- Web survey reveals tepid year 2000 plans; 1998; Anonymous
- CATI, CAPI and Web Interviews. Technology Convergence or Divergence?; 1998; MacKay, I.
- Cheaper desktops will help Net researchers corral clients; 1998; Anonymous
- Computerized Self-Administered Questionnaires; 1998; Ramos, M., Sweet, C., Sedivi, B.
- Controlling the Uncontrollable. Towards the Perfect Web Sample; 1998; Dahlen, M.
- Effective Use of Web-Based Technology: Usign the Internet for Data Collection and Communication Applications...; 1998; Airey, J., Bauman, S., Atak, H.
- First Event Reports. Org.org Launces with a 'lively' debate'; 1998; Anonymous
- Marketing Research in Cyberspace; 1998; Solomon, M.B.
- Minnesota Agency Launches Departmentwide Survey Via the Web; 1998; Misenti, M.
- Drugnet: A pilot study of adult recreational drug use via the WWW; 1998; Nicholson, T., White, J., Duncan, D.
- A web-based data collection system for clinical studies using Java; 1998; Sippel, H., Ohmann, C.
- Business Surveys of the Future: The World Wide Web as a Data Collection Methodology; 1998; Clayton, R. L., Werking, G. S.
- WWW Surveys; 1998; Batagelj, Z., Vehovar, V.
- Online Survey Software - Ask Anything; 1998; Schindler, Esther
- The making of a personality inventory: Help from the WWW; 1998; Pasveer, K. A., Ellard, J.H.
- Top-10 Web Survey Issues and How to Address Them; 1998; Spain, S. W.
- Using the Internet to Measure and Increase Customer Satisfaction; 1998; Chisholm, J.
- Web Interviewing. Validating the Application of Web Interviewing Using a Comparative Study on the Telephone...; 1998; Findlater, A., Kottler, R. E.
- Innovations and Insights in the Design of Web-Based Surveys; 1998; Mullin, P. A.
- Computer Assisted Survey Information Collection; 1998; Couper, M. P., Baker, R. P., Martin, J., Nicholls II, W. L., O'Reilly, J. M.
- Creating Surveys for the World Wide Web; 1998; Gould, E., Gurevich, M., Pagerey, P.D.
- Program for surveillance of causes of death of dogs, using the Internet to survey small animal veterinarians...; 1998; Gobar, G. M., Case, J. T., Kass, P. H.
- High-Tech Surveys Have Arrived. A Review of Software for Interviewing on the World Wide Web and with...; 1998; Struhl, S., Kuever, C.
- Internet Surveys: A Description of the Demographics; 1998; Lockhart, D.C., Detwiler, F.R.J.
- New Sociological Research Technologies: Toronto's "Wired Suburb" Project; 1998; Hampton, K. N.
- Non Probability Sampling for WWW Surveys: A Comparison of Methods; 1998; Schillewaert, N., Langerak, F., Duhamel, T.
- Obtaining Purchase Probabilities via a Web Based Survey: The Juster Scale and the Verbal Probability...; 1998; Brennan, M., Parackal, M.
- Research Gets Wired; 1998; Kavanagh, M.
- Online medical surveys: Using the Internet as a research tool; 1998; Houston, J. D., Fiore, D. C.
- On-Line Qualitative Research: The Opportunities and Limitations of Conducting Focus Groups via the Internet...; 1998; Coates, D., Froggatt, M.
- Cruising is believing comparing Internet and traditional sources on media credibility measures; 1998; Johnson, T. J., Kaye, B. K.
- Internet Surveying: A Comparison to Telephone Surveys; 1998; Lockhart, D.C.
- Pen CASIC: Design and Usability; 1998; Bosley, J., Uglow, D., Conrad, F. G.
- Projectable Internet Panels: Using Traditional “Best Practices” in an Untraditional Environment...; 1998; Sundberg-Cohon, J., Peacock, J.
- Principles for Constructing Respondent-Friendly WEB Surveys and Their Influence on Response; 1998; Dillman, D. A., Tortora, R. D.
- Using Electronic Mail to Survey Undergraduates: Pitfalls and Possibilities; 1998; Morphew, C.C.
- Multimedia CAPI - The future of face-to-face interviewing; 1998; Lythgoe, H.
- Computer assisted coding; 1998; Bushnell, D.
- Survey documentation: the representation of CAPI questionnaires; 1998; Bulmer, M., Thomas, R. K., Donagher, P.
- The Impact of Computer Assisted Interviewing on UK Survey Research; 1998; Collins, M., Sykes, W.
- New Opportunities with CAI; 1998; Blyth, B.
- Handhelds in a laptop world; 1998; Gray, J.
- On-line Research - Some options, some problems, some case studies; 1998; Comley, P.
- Surfing the Learning Curve: Examining the Applications of a Major Pan-European Internet Survey for Yahoo...; 1998; Burckhardt, J., Guillanton, P.
- Ten Years of Interviewing Without Interviewers: The Telepanel; 1998; Saris, W. E.
- Social Science: Technology, Experimentation, and the Quality of Survey Data; 1998; Bloom, D. E.
- Surveys in Cyberspace: Six Components of Web Survey Design; 1998; Green, T. M.