Web Survey Bibliography
Title Studying Ulcerative Colitis Over the World Wide Web
Source American Journal of Gastroenterology, 92, 3, pp. 457-460
Access date 19.08.2004
Abstract Objectives: The Internet may provide a cost-effective means to collect outcomes data needed to improve the quality and efficiency of medical care. We explored the feasibility and methodology of a longitudinal outcomes study of Internet users who have ulcerative colitis (UC). Methods: We created an open-enrollment electronic survey of Internet users who have UC and recorded the number of respondents, their demographics, and their willingness to participate. Results: In a 2-month period, 582 users browsed the survey, 172 (30%) completed the questionnaire, and 162 (95%) reported willingness to enroll this study. Eighty-three percent were willing to release their medical records to verify their diagnosis. Most (>70%) had the same E-mail address over 2 yr, suggesting that long-term follow-up could be performed electronically. In comparison with the male predominance of Internet users, respondents had gender distribution similar to that of patients who have UC. In comparison with the general population, respondents have higher education and higher household income. Conclusions: The Internet community could serve as a resource for general population outcome studies. Selection bias due to limited availability and use of the networked computers may affect results. The Internet community, however, is expanding rapidly, so it should become more representative of the general population.
Access/Direct link Entrez PubMed (abstract)
Year of publication1997
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6476)
- Social Networks of Intensive Internet Users; 2002; Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Attitudes toward Internet Privacy: Slovenian Internet users's view; 2002; Kovacic, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Comparison of Quality in Open-end Responses and Response Rates Between Web-based and Paper and Pencil...; 2002; MacElroy, B., Mikucki, J., McDowell, P.
- Use of Pre-incentives in an Internet Survey; 2002; Downes-Le Guin, T., Janowitz, P., Stone, R., Khorram, S.
- Internet loyalty programs: Lessons learned for Internet-based development research; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Khubani, A., Stanley, J.
- Establishing data validity in conjoint: Experiences with Internet-based ‘mega-studies’; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Moskowitz, J., Beckley, J., Mascuch, T., Adams, J., Sendros, A., Keeling, C.
- Personality research on the Internet: A comparison of Web-based and traditional instruments in take-...; 2002; Cronk, B. C., West, J. L.
- SurveyMonkey.com - Web-Based Survey and Evaluation System: http://www.SurveyMonkey.com; 2002; Gordon, A.
- Innovations in Survey Research: An Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Sills, S.J., Song, C.
- Online survey techniques: Current issues and future trends; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Online Surveys and Internet Research; 2002; Comley, P.
- Work-life balance among Croatian employees: role time commitment, work-home interference and well-being...; 2002; Sverko, B.B., Araasic, L., Galesic, M.
- BOOK REVIEW: Internet communications and qualitative research: A hand-book for research online; 2002; Dowling, Z.
- Data collection through web-based technology; 2002; Swartz, R.W., Hancock, C.
- Print versus electronic surveys: a comparison of two data collection methodologies; 2002; Boyer, K. K., Olson, J., Calantone, R. J., Jackson, E. C.
- Online Data Collection; 2002; Topp, N.W., Pawloski, B.
- PRESTO: Combining Internet survey methodologies with a student panel; 2002; Prince, K., Woodley, A., Joinson, A. N.
- The Internet and Time Displacement: A Canadian Perspective; 2002; Pronovost, G.
- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Research; 2002; Puig, M.
- Daily Activity and Internet Use in Dual-Earner Families: A Weekly Time-Diary Approach; 2002; Fu, S.- J., Wang, R., Qui, Y.
- Navigation Patterns in Web Surveys; 2002; Ramirez, C. M.
- The Use of Online Market Research in Stakeholder Relationship Management; 2002; Reichmann, S.
- Open vs. closed questions in Web surveys; 2002; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Restricted privacy: Information privacy as a culture-specific construct; 2002; Ribak, R.
- Why Internet Samples Are Inherently Biased; 2002; Neustadtl, A., Kestnbaum, M., Robinson, J. P.
- Electronic data collection in Statistic Norway; 2002; Saebo, H.V., Gloersen, R., Sve, D.
- Web vs Mail Survey Response Rates: Comparisons for an High Education Population; 2002; Romano, M. F.
- Methods for Improving Compliance in Exposure Studies; 2002; Dimitropoulos, L., Thalji, L., Weibe, L.
- The Impact of Privacy and Security Concerns on the Willingness to Provide Sensitive Information about...; 2002; Aoki, K., Elasmar, M. G.
- Ethics revisited: Traditional research ethics and new ethical challenges in reseraching internet contexts...; 2002; Elgesem, D.
- Internet studies and new ethical challenges - making common ground in the international researcher society...; 2002; Ess, C.
- 'Email for candidates' - Experiences with an Email-Survey among running candidates in a state election...; 2002; Faas, T.
- Advantages and disadvantages of Internet research surveys: Evidence from the literature; 2002; Fricker, R. D., Schonlau, M.
- Citizen Perceptions of Community Policing: Comparing Internet and Mail Survey Responses; 2002; Ballard, C., Prine, R.
- Comparison of psychologists' self image and their image in the Internet and in print; 2002; Rietz, I., Wahl, S.
- Online Research and Anonymity; 2002; Sassenberg, K., Kreutz, S.
- An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Testing Web Questionnaires; 2002; Crawford, S. D., Baker, R. P.
- Online persuasion strategies; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Comparing Web Surveys and Paper & Pencil Surveys: Measurement Error and Mode Differences; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- Mode-Effects in Web Surveys?; 2002; Bandilla, W., Bosnjak, M.
- Web Surveys: The Effect of Controlling Survey Access using PIN Numbers; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Online household panel; 2002; Batinic, B., Lohmuller, T.
- The Prospects for Electronic Mail Surveys; 2002; Groussett, R., Fournier, A., Kalinowski, L., Best, S. J.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- List assisted Web surveys: quality, timeliness and nonresponse in the steps of the participation flow...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Gender Identity and HIV Risk: An Internet-based Study; 2002; Bockting, W. O., Gurak, L.
- (Non)Response bei Web-Befragungen; 2002; Bosnjak, M.
- Prepaid and Promised Incentives in Web Surveys: An Experiment; 2002; Bosnjak, M., Tuten, T. L.