Web Survey Bibliography
Title Benchmarking Research Web Sites
Author Newswanger, J.
Access date 20.08.2004
Abstract There are a variety of web site design and technical issues that can be benchmarked, including: site creation, quality control, traffic monitoring, bandwidth management, and security. The focus in this review is market research web site design, specifically: the creation and assessment of web sites based on evolving best practices. The central research question is: what presently constitutes the scorecard of features for assessing market research web sites. The basis for this paper is the author's own experience developing two market research sites, as well as a complete review of web sites associated with the "top 100 companies by U.S. market research revenues" (Advertising Age, May 1998). Almost 90% of the top 100 firms maintain at least one web site. Market research firms specialize in syndicated and custom work, in overall public opinion as well as niches, with various field, product, and analytic offerings; thus, the bases for web site evaluation vary. A key benchmarking guidepost in assessing a market research web site, much like other web sites, should be identification of basic relationship management rinciples. Central questions include: who is the site for and will the site provide enough unique aterial to facilitate ongoing visits? An overall strategy needs to be created that enhances a corporate brand through appropriate: content, visual quality, and value-added service. The range of current offerings is summarized in the following sections, and then examples of how these principles were applied by the author are provided. (Refer to Figure 1 for an illustration of scorecard design issues overall.)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication1999
Web Survey Bibliography - Research on Internet (665)
- Thoughts on retrieving information from open-ended questions; 2013; Luyens, S.
- Conceptualising and evaluating experiences with brands on Facebook; 2013; Smith, S.
- How virtual corporate social responsibility dialogs generate value: A framework and propositions; 2013; Korschun, D., Du, S.
- Customer loyalty to a commercial website: Descriptive meta-analysis of the empirical literature and...; 2013; Toufaily, E., Ricard, L., Perrien, J.
- Research Communities in Asia Pacific: A review of similarities and contrasts; 2013; Poynter, R.
- Why Big Data is a Small Idea…and Why You Shouldn’t Worry So Much; 2013; Needel, S.
- Mobile devices a way to recruit hard-to-reach groups? Results from a pilot study comparing desk top...; 2013; Toepoel, V., Lugtig, P. J.
- The Relation of Survey Topic and Participation Behavior. Analyzing Unit Nonresponse using web-generated...; 2013; Zillmann, D., Schmitz, A., Blossfeld, H. P.
- History of Technology in Research; 2013; Sahu, C.
- Data Collection in Sociolinguistics: Methods and Applications; 2013; Mallinson, C., Childs, B., Van Herk, G.
- Cultural Challenges in Online Survey Data Collection; 2013; Baron, N. S.
- The Effect of Attempting to Recruit Respondents to a Web-Based Diary on Overall Response Rate; 2013; Cantave, M. A. Gentry, R. J.
- Are You Seeing What I am Seeing? Exploring Response Option Visual Design Effects With Eye-Tracking; 2013; Libman, A., Smyth, J. D., Olson, K.
- Tablets and Smartphones and Netbooks, Oh My! Effects of Device Type on Respondent Behavior; 2013; Ross, H., Mendelson, J., Lackey, M.
- Using Web Ex to Conduct Usability Testing of an On-Line Survey Instrument; 2013; Stettler, K.
- Online Fundraising Essentials, Second Edition; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- Tips for Evaluating Online Effectiveness; 2013; Stevenson, S. C.
- Worldwide online research spending; 2012
- The rise of the "connected viewer"; 2012; Smith, A., Boyles, J. L.
- The integration of facebook into class management: an exploratory study; 2012; Chou, P. N.
- Selection bias of internet panel surveys: A comparison with a paper-based survey and national governmental...; 2012; Tsuboi, S. et al.
- Research company spotlight - Mobile surveys; 2012
- Redeveloping the research section of Meningitis UK's website — A case study report; 2012; Witt, J., Rowland, K., Wilkinson, C.
- Guide to social science data preparation. Best practice throughout the data life cycle; 2012
- Google et Médiamétrie créent une audience bimédia; 2012; Gonzales, P.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Better customer in sight in real time; 2012; Macdonald, E., Wilson, H. N., Konus, H.
- Better Answers to Basic Questions: Enhancing the accuracy of online reach and audience metrics; 2012; van Dam, P. H., van Ossenbruggen, R., Voorend, R.
- WebSM Study: Survey software features overview ; 2012; Vehovar, V.; Cehovin, G.; Kavcic, L.; Lenar, J.
- Web Panels; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Challenges of assessing the quality of a prerecruited probability-based panel of internet users in...; 2012; Struminskaya, B., Kaczmirek, L.
- Deep Data: Qualitative Approaches to E-Research in the Digital Age; 2012; Salmons, J.
- The use of new technologies on the British Birth Cohort Studies; 2012; Calderwood, L.
- Opportunities and Challenges for the Digital Researcher; 2012; Blank, G., Morey, Y.
- Reliable Online Social Network Data Collection; 2012; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Little experience with technology as a cause of nonresponse in online surveys; 2012; Struminskaya, B., Schaurer, I., Kaczmirek, L., Bandilla, W.
- The Impact of Mobilization Media on Off-Line and Online Participation: Are Mobilization Effects Medium...; 2012; Vissers, S., Hooghe, M., Stolle, D., Maheo, V.-A.
- Succinct Survey Measures of Web-Use Skills; 2012; Hargittai, E., Hsieh, Y. P.
- Where gamification came from and why it could be here to stay; 2012; Ewing, T.
- Gamification 101 - from theory to practice - part II ; 2012; Puleston, J.
- The impact of two-stage highly interesting questions on completion rates and data quality in online...; 2012; Hansen, J. M., Smith, S. M.
- User models as revealed in web-based research services; 2012; Bodoff, D., Raban, D.
- Search and email still top the list of most popular online activities; 2011; Purcell, K.
- User agent; 2011
- Unpublisihed internal Google report on break off rates by device type; 2011; Callegaro, M.
- The GfK NOP Media Efficiency Panel; 2011; Moy, C. et al.
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Going online with assessment; 2011; Burke, E. et al.