Web Survey Bibliography
Title An Experience of Internet Data Collection for a National Survey on Graduates
Access date 01.09.2004
Abstract The development of new methods of data collections is one of the main tasks of national statistical offices, in order to improve the quality of collected data and, at the same time, to minimize the statistical burden on respondents. Under this regard, new technologies and the spreading of Internet can help, both from the collector and the supplier side. In the field of analysis of transition from school to work, Istat (Italian national statistical office) carries out a set of 3 surveys. One of these is addressed to those who have completed upper secondary school (diplomati). The sample design includes a first step (sample of clusters of schools) and a second step (extraction of the sample of graduates to interview). The schools identified in the first step are requested to send the complete list of those who graduated three years before, extracting information from their administrative registers. In the previous editions of the survey, each school in the sample received a paper form to fill in. This solution presented some drawbacks: the consistency of information in every paper form had to be checked ex post, and some corrections had to be made calling back the school. Starting from this experience, a different strategy was decided for the new edition of the survey, planned in 2003/2004: to ask each school for the complete list of graduates, and to organize an electronic exchange of data from the schools to Istat via Internet. The new collection system is realized on a web platform. Each school received a user-id and a password to enter an application in a web site at the address http://diplomati.istat.it. Once entered the application, the school had the opportunity to fill in an electronic questionnaire or to upload data from a standard format file. For both choices, data were checked on-line and, if completely consistent and correct, they were entered into a data base at Istat service centre. The application architecture is client/server, which allows lower occupation of the internet connection, speeding up the collection operation and the sending of the form. A three-layer architecture has been created, as follows: 1. The client, which can be a simple PC with an Internet connection and which connects via a Netscape or Explorer browser to the ad hoc site. 2. The web server, which is Apache, where the HTML and JAVA servlets are located. 3. The DBMS ORACLE server, which is used to store data. This innovation in the process of data collection has guaranteed a diminution of statistical burden for respondents; furthermore, an improvement in data quality has been achieved, as shown by a comparison with data sent on paper form, because of on line checking procedures.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Italy (94)
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Web Panel Representativeness; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Measuring the impact of the Web: Rasch modelling for survey evaluation; 2013; Annoni, P., Weziak-Bialowolska, D., Farhan, H.
- Responsive design for mixed-mode panel data; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Adjusting for bias in a mixed-mode CAWI survey on University students ; 2013; Clerici, R., Giraldo, A.
- Comparative analysis of data from web and face-to-face surveys. A case study on e-commerce in young...; 2013; Cappello, C., Pellegrino, D.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: implications for nonresponse; 2013; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M.
- The Relation of Survey Topic and Participation Behavior. Analyzing Unit Nonresponse using web-generated...; 2013; Zillmann, D., Schmitz, A., Blossfeld, H. P.
- A walking exercise on a tightrope: trying to balance coverage, probabilistic sampling and the costs...; 2013; Poggio, T.
- Sampling, Channels, and Contact Strategies in Internet Survey; 2013; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Norme di qualita' Assirm (Assirm quality rules]; 2012
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Survey Data Collection and Integration; 2012; Davino, C., Fabbris, L.
- Online Data Collection in the Agro-Food Sector; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- Mobile Survey Participation Rates in Commercial Market Research: A Meta-Analysis; 2012; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Becker, K. R., Funke, F., Wachenfeld, A., Fischer, B.
- Panel retention rate and data quality: experimental results drawing on Reciprocity design; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- Web Surveys: Methodological Problems and Research Perspectives; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Bethlehem, J.
- About Web Surveys ; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Errors in Web Surveys; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Sampling for Web Surveys.; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- A Generalized System for Aided Development and Monitoring of Web Surveys; 2011; Torelli, R.
- Using survey data collection as a tool for improving the survey process; 2011; Biffignandi, S., Perani, G., Laureti, A.
- The Main Innovations of Data Editing and Imputation for the 2010 Italian Agricultural Census ; 2011; Bianchi, G., Lipsi, R. M., Ruocco, G., Salvatore, M. A.
- Facebook sampling methods: some methodological proposals; 2011; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Errors within web-based surveys: a comparison between two different tools for the analysis of tourist...; 2011; Polizzi, G., Oliveri, A. M.
- Applying maximum entropy weighting to on line panel data collection; 2011; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Hartmann, E., Sekhon, J.
- Use of new technologies in social research: Self-administered mobile surveys; 2011; Bosnjak, M.
- Internet Survey Methodology: Recent Trends and Developments ; 2011; Biffignandi, S.
- Modeling non-sampling errors and participation in Web surveys; 2010; Biffignandi, S.
- Influence of Outliers on Some Multiple Imputation Methods; 2010; Quintano, C., Castellano, R., Rocca, A.
- L’uso di Internet nella ricerca sociale: vantaggi e svantaggi di una web survey; 2010; Pandolfini, V.
- A Web-Based Versus Paper Questionnaire on Alcohol and Tobacco in Adolescents; 2010; Lygidakis, C., Rigon, S., Cambiaso, S., Bottoli, E., Cuozzo, F., Bonetti, S., Della Bella, C., Marzo...
- Web-based macroseismic survey in Italy: method validation and results; 2010; Sbarra P., Tosi, P., De Rubeis, V.
- Web-based versus paper-based data collection for the evaluation of teaching activity: empirical evidence...; 2010; Lalla, M., Ferrari, D.
- Young people, the Internet and Political Participation: Findings of a web survey in Italy, Spain and...; 2009; Calenda, D., Meijer, A.
- Web based macroseismic survey: fast information exchange and elaboration of seismic intensity effects...; 2009; De Rubeis, V., Sbarra P., Sorrentino, D., Tosi, P.
- Factors Contributing to Participation in Web‐based Surveys among Italian University Graduates; 2009; Cimini, C., Girottu, C., Gasperoni, G.
- Integration of different data collection techniques using the propensity score; 2009; Camillo, F., Conti, V., Ghiselli, S.
- Modelling online survey participation among Italian university graduates ; 2009; Cimini, C., Girotti, C., Gasperoni, G.
- Coverage rates of mobile telephones and the Internet in Italy ; 2009; Fabbris, L., Gorelli, S.
- An experiment on the effects of non-response reweighting on estimators' precision in a web survey; 2009; Fabrizi, E., Biffignandi, S., Toninelli, D.
- Anticipated estimation from a panel Web survey: the case of the presence of tourists in the Province...; 2009; Scaffai, G., Pratesi, M.
- The Electronic Questionnaire Experience in Business Surveys: mode effects on quality and on response...; 2009; Biffignandi, S., Siesto, G., Zeli, A.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.