Web Survey Bibliography
Title New Methods for Measuring Quality Indicators of ISTAT’s New CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey
Access date 01.09.2004
Abstract In the last two years, the Italian Institute of Statistics has invested huge resources to transform the labour force survey in compliance with EUROSTAT standards while revolutionising the survey technique. From a PAPI technique in the current labour force survey, with interviewers of the municipalities which entered the sample, we have passed to a mixed technique: CAPI for the first family interviews and CATI for the confirmation interviews following the first, with the direct management of interviewers in the new survey on the part of ISTAT. The internal survey network has made it necessary to evaluate interviewer performance in time, as well as their impact on survey quality. But what indicators should be used to monitor the continuous data collection process? The first aim has been to construct an indicator plan comprising indicators useful to monitor the data collection process and changes in time of the network of interviewers, as well as the panel survey in its entirety, and therefore the impact of its course on sampling error. This indicator plan has been constructed in line with international standards for official face-to-face and telephone surveys (AAPOR1 Standard Definitions). The second aim has been to analyse these indicators using multidimensional analysis techniques, in order to ensure the comprehension of the “quality” phenomenon, a complex issue in itself. In particular for the network of interviewers, the issue was to evaluate and represent the work of n interviews working in different geographical locations and with different personal characteristics, observing p outcomes of interviews in t time intervals. The aim was therefore to evaluate if and to what extent differences in the survey’s quality indicators can be ascribed to personal and/or geographical characteristics. To this purpose we applied STATIS method and we proposed new developments of it, which, on the basis of the main quality indicators, allows us to estimate the latent factors that measure structural differences and dynamics through time. The results show the formation of clusters of units with common personal and geographical characteristics which progressively diverge.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (452)
- A Wish List for the Future of CASIC at the National Agricultural Statistics Service; 2004; Manning, A.
- E-Mail Contacts: A Test of Complex Graphical Designs in Survey Research; 2004; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Impacts of the Use of E-Mail and the Internet on Personal Trip-Making Behavior; 2004; Tonn, B. E., Hemrick, A.
- Instrument Effects of Images in Web Surveys: A Research Note; 2004; Witte, J. C., Pargas, R. P., Mobley, C., Hawdon, J.
- The Electronic Questionnaire in ISTAT’s New CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Grassia, M. G., Pintaldi, F., Quattrociocchi, L.
- Changing from PAPI to CAPI: A Longitudinal Study Dealing with Mode-Effects in the German Socio-Economic...; 2004; Schraepler, J. -P., Schupp, J., Wagner, G. G.
- New Methods for Measuring Quality Indicators of ISTAT’s New CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Giuliani, G., Grassia, M. G., Quattrociocchi, L., Ranaldi, R.
- New Strategies to Improve Quality of ISTAT new CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Bergamasco, S., Gazzelloni, S., Quattrociocchi, L., Ranaldi, R., Toma, A.
- Web Surveys; 2004; Vehovar, V.
- Meta Analysis of Reliability and Validity Estimates for Egocentered Network Data Using a Multilevel...; 2004; Coenders, G., Coromina, L.
- Effects of Immediate versus Delayed Notification of Prize Draw Results and Announced Survey Duration...; 2004; Tuten, T. L., Galesic, M., Bosnjak, M.
- To Do or Not to Do?: A Comparison of Behavioral Intention Measures; 2004; Thomas, R. K., Behnke, C. S., Johnson, A. M.
- A Global Study of Knowledge Workers: Using the Internet, Dealing with Cultural Variation, and Commercial...; 2004; Day, R., Ross, J.
- Is the American Public as Informed about Science as They Say They Are?; 2004; Gentry, R. J.
- A Comparison of Web and Mail Survey Response Rates; 2004; Kaplowitz, M. D., Hadlock, T. D., Levine, R.
- Car-user responses to travel demand management measures: goal setting and choice of adaptation alternatives...; 2004; Loukopoulos, P., Jakobsson, C., Garling, T., Schneider, C. M., Fujii, S.
- Building parallel corpora by automatic title alignment using length-based and text-based approaches; 2004; Yang, C. C., Wing Li, K.
- Paper and pencil or online? Methodological Experiences from an employee survey; 2004; Poetschke, M.
- The Influence of Visual Layout on Scalar Questions in Web Surveys; 2003; Christian, L. M.
- Data Editing By Reporting Enterprises; 2003; Anonymous
- Initiative and Clarification in Web-Based Surveys; 2003; Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G., Ehlen, P., Lind, L. H., Coiner, T.
- The Impact of the Visible: Images, Spacing, and Other Visual Cues in Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Measuring newspaper reading during summer period via mobile phones; 2003; Vogelius, L., Widman, L.
- Editing strategies used by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics in Data Collection over the Internet; 2003; Cohen, S. H.
- GPRS m-telephone interviewing - a survey method for the future?; 2003; Tjostheim, I.
- The Relative Importance of External, Internal, Individual and Procedural Equity to Pay Satisfaction:...; 2003; Terpstra, D. E., Honoree, A. L.
- Conducting Web-based survey research: a lesson in Internet designs; 2003; Daley, E. M., McDermott, R. J., Brown, K. R. M., Kittleson, M. J.
- Easy as e-mail; 2003; Johnson, H.
- Preferences and social contacts in an online community; 2003; Adamic, L. A.
- Comparing Propensity Score Weighting with Other Weighting Methods: A Case Study; 2003; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- Studying hate crime with the Internet: What makes racist advocate racial violence?; 2002; Glaser, J., Dixit, J., Green, D. P.
- Cognitive processes when answering online questionnaires; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- Visual design issues in Web surveys; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- Ethical decision-making and Internet research: Recommendations from the aoir ethics working committee...; 2002; Ess, C., AoIR
- The Use of Web-Based International Surveys In Information Systems Research; 2002; Lang, M.
- July 2002 Status of Forces Survey of Active-Duty Members: Tabulations of Responses; 2002
- Conducting online research and evaluation; 2002; Zimitat, C., Crebert, G.
- Web Surveys to Digital Movies: Technological Tools of the Trade; 2002; Fetterman, D. M.
- Electronic measurement of magazine reading. New methodology, new problems, new solutions; 2002; Mattlin, J.
- The Internet and city tourism - information sources for travel planning; 2002; Tjostheim, I., Tronvoll, B.
- The Internet in competition with the traditional information sources; 2002; Tjostheim, I.
- The Role of Technology in Organization Development and Change; 2002; Church, A. H., Gilbert, M., Oliver, D. H., Paquet, K., Surface, C.
- Evaluation of Users' Experience of the Census 2000 Internet Form; 2002; Stapleton, C., Murphy, E. D.
- Online surveys with simple random samples for large populations; 2002; Kreuels, B.
- Comparison of Response Rates and Quality of Response in a Survey Conducted by Mail, Email and Web; 2002; Lesser, V. M., Newton, L.
- U.S. Army Web-based, Internet Surveys; 2002; Lynn, M.
- The effects of delivery mode upon survey response rate and perceived attitudes of Texas agri-science...; 2002; Fraze, S., Hardin, K., Brashears, T., Smith, J. H., Lockaby, J.