Web Survey Bibliography
Title New Strategies to Improve Quality of ISTAT new CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey
Access date 01.09.2004
Abstract During the last two years, Italian National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT) has undertaken a whole project aimed at redesigning the Labour Force Survey (LFS) in order to fulfil the European Union (EU) regulation. The main project objectives has been not only achieving in fulfilling the EU requirements but also deploying a survey system based on high quality levels in every task composing the process survey. The major enhancements implemented can be itemized in 1. The adoption of a Mixed Mode survey technique (CAPI/CATI survey); 2. The implementation of a detailed monitoring system and 3. The deployment of an information system supporting the “whole survey process” from the sample definition to the data collection and elaboration. The adoption of a Mixed Mode survey has been due to the need of interviewing the households belonging to the sample for four waves: the first interview is generally carried out by CAPI technique, the last three interviews are carried out by a CATI technique or by a CAPI interview depending on the household willingness to be contacted by telephone. Moreover, firstly the CAPI interviews are conducted by a professional interviewers network managed directly by ISTAT and regularly managed and monitored by a local intermediate level represented by ISTAT regional office (UURR) and the secondly the CATI interviews are carried out by a specialised CATI supplier. To sum up all the needs briefly described above has requested the design and deployment of a complex information system whose core is a database able to manage all the tasks assigned to ISTAT interviewers, to co-ordinate the Mixed Mode technique and to contain both the survey data and the management information (the data process). From a technological perspective the information system grants that all the interviewer activities are achieved by reliable hardware and software tools assuring all the requirements of a secure information system (data privacy, data availability and data integrity) and simultaneously, from an organisational perspective, provides a monitoring system based on a series of indicators rigorously defined in order to plan and control the methodological choices, the implemented survey process and the quality of information collected. The goal of this paper is to focus on the solutions ISTAT has deployed to succeed in a so demanding process survey renovation.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Italy (94)
- The challenge of a mixed-mode design survey and new IT tools application: the case of the Italian Structure...; 2013; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- The Design of the Online Questionnaire of the Italian Population Census ; 2013; Tininini, L., Virgillito, A.
- The behaviour of respondents while filling in a web questionnaire: the case of the Italian business...; 2013; Masselli, M., Nuccitelli, A.
- A web-based Census of services: an ISTAT evolutionary study ; 2013; Cesaro, A., Palazzi, B., Paterniti, M., Ranaldi, P.
- A web based management system for addressing census complexity: the Italian experience; 2013; Bruno, M., Giacummo, M., Silipo, M., Vaste, G.
- Online Survey on Twitter: A Urological Experience; 2013; Dal Moro, F.
- Web Panel Representativeness; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Measuring the impact of the Web: Rasch modelling for survey evaluation; 2013; Annoni, P., Weziak-Bialowolska, D., Farhan, H.
- Responsive design for mixed-mode panel data; 2013; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S.
- Adjusting for bias in a mixed-mode CAWI survey on University students ; 2013; Clerici, R., Giraldo, A.
- Comparative analysis of data from web and face-to-face surveys. A case study on e-commerce in young...; 2013; Cappello, C., Pellegrino, D.
- Online Survey Participation via Mobile Devices: implications for nonresponse; 2013; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M.
- The Relation of Survey Topic and Participation Behavior. Analyzing Unit Nonresponse using web-generated...; 2013; Zillmann, D., Schmitz, A., Blossfeld, H. P.
- A walking exercise on a tightrope: trying to balance coverage, probabilistic sampling and the costs...; 2013; Poggio, T.
- Sampling, Channels, and Contact Strategies in Internet Survey; 2013; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Norme di qualita' Assirm (Assirm quality rules]; 2012
- Social research in online context: methodological reflections on web surveys from a case study; 2012; Pandolfini, V.
- The re-engineering of the Structural Earnings survey process: Mixed - Mode data collection and new E...; 2012; Cardinaleschi, S., De Santis, S., Rocci, F., Spinelli, V.
- Survey Data Collection and Integration; 2012; Davino, C., Fabbris, L.
- Online Data Collection in the Agro-Food Sector; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- Mobile Survey Participation Rates in Commercial Market Research: A Meta-Analysis; 2012; Bosnjak, M., Poggio, T., Becker, K. R., Funke, F., Wachenfeld, A., Fischer, B.
- Panel retention rate and data quality: experimental results drawing on Reciprocity design; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- Web Surveys: Methodological Problems and Research Perspectives; 2012; Biffignandi, S., Bethlehem, J.
- About Web Surveys ; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Errors in Web Surveys; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- Sampling for Web Surveys.; 2012; Bethlehem, J., Biffignandi, S.
- A Generalized System for Aided Development and Monitoring of Web Surveys; 2011; Torelli, R.
- Using survey data collection as a tool for improving the survey process; 2011; Biffignandi, S., Perani, G., Laureti, A.
- The Main Innovations of Data Editing and Imputation for the 2010 Italian Agricultural Census ; 2011; Bianchi, G., Lipsi, R. M., Ruocco, G., Salvatore, M. A.
- Facebook sampling methods: some methodological proposals; 2011; Macrì, E., Tessitore, C.
- Errors within web-based surveys: a comparison between two different tools for the analysis of tourist...; 2011; Polizzi, G., Oliveri, A. M.
- Applying maximum entropy weighting to on line panel data collection; 2011; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Hartmann, E., Sekhon, J.
- Use of new technologies in social research: Self-administered mobile surveys; 2011; Bosnjak, M.
- Internet Survey Methodology: Recent Trends and Developments ; 2011; Biffignandi, S.
- Modeling non-sampling errors and participation in Web surveys; 2010; Biffignandi, S.
- Influence of Outliers on Some Multiple Imputation Methods; 2010; Quintano, C., Castellano, R., Rocca, A.
- L’uso di Internet nella ricerca sociale: vantaggi e svantaggi di una web survey; 2010; Pandolfini, V.
- A Web-Based Versus Paper Questionnaire on Alcohol and Tobacco in Adolescents; 2010; Lygidakis, C., Rigon, S., Cambiaso, S., Bottoli, E., Cuozzo, F., Bonetti, S., Della Bella, C., Marzo...
- Web-based macroseismic survey in Italy: method validation and results; 2010; Sbarra P., Tosi, P., De Rubeis, V.
- Web-based versus paper-based data collection for the evaluation of teaching activity: empirical evidence...; 2010; Lalla, M., Ferrari, D.
- Young people, the Internet and Political Participation: Findings of a web survey in Italy, Spain and...; 2009; Calenda, D., Meijer, A.
- Web based macroseismic survey: fast information exchange and elaboration of seismic intensity effects...; 2009; De Rubeis, V., Sbarra P., Sorrentino, D., Tosi, P.
- Factors Contributing to Participation in Web‐based Surveys among Italian University Graduates; 2009; Cimini, C., Girottu, C., Gasperoni, G.
- Integration of different data collection techniques using the propensity score; 2009; Camillo, F., Conti, V., Ghiselli, S.
- Modelling online survey participation among Italian university graduates ; 2009; Cimini, C., Girotti, C., Gasperoni, G.
- Coverage rates of mobile telephones and the Internet in Italy ; 2009; Fabbris, L., Gorelli, S.
- An experiment on the effects of non-response reweighting on estimators' precision in a web survey; 2009; Fabrizi, E., Biffignandi, S., Toninelli, D.
- Anticipated estimation from a panel Web survey: the case of the presence of tourists in the Province...; 2009; Scaffai, G., Pratesi, M.
- The Electronic Questionnaire Experience in Business Surveys: mode effects on quality and on response...; 2009; Biffignandi, S., Siesto, G., Zeli, A.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.