Web Survey Bibliography
Title Impacts of the Use of E-Mail and the Internet on Personal Trip-Making Behavior
Source Social Science Computer Review, 22, 2, pp. 270-280
Database SAGE Journals Online
Access date 06.09.2004
Abstract This article presents the results of a web survey of 118 residents in the Knoxville, Tennessee, metropolitan region to explore the impacts of the use of e-mail and the Internet on personal trip-making behavior. Respondents were required to be active drivers and users of e-mail and/or the Internet. Approximately 40% reported that their use of these information technologies has led to less driving overall, and 18% reported less rush hour driving. Although use of the Internet has led to both trip reduction and new trip generation, overall, weekly trips appear to be reduced by 8% from the national average of almost 28 person trips per week in 2001. The number of places respondents have access to e-mail and the Internet is highly related to trip reduction and new trip generation. Education and income were positively related to new trip generation.
Access/Direct link SAGE Journals Online (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Other (451)
- Experience-Based Suggestions for Achieving a High Survey Response Rate; 2006; Bruce, S., Hawkins, P., Sharp, M., Keller, A.
- Successful Web Survey Methodologies for Measuring the Impact of Networked Electronic Services (MINES...; 2006; Franklin, B., Plum, T.
- The Measurement Equivalence of Web-Based and Paper-and-Pencil Measures of Transformational Leadership...; 2006; Cole, M. S., Bedeian, A. G., Feild, H. S.
- An Experimental Study on the Effects of Personalization, Survey Length Statements, Progress Indicators...; 2006; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Online visual landscape assessment using Internet survey techniques in landscape planning and environmental...; 2006; Roth, M.
- Using personal digital assistants (PDAs) for the collection of safety belt use data in the field; 2006; Vivoda, J. M., Eby, D. W.
- Improving Quality by Lowering Non-Response: A Guideline for Online Surveys; 2006; Jackob, N., Zerback, T.
- Validating the use of Internet survey techniques in visual landscape assessment—An empirical study...; 2006; Roth, M.
- Higher Education and Student Affairs Professionals' Survey Preferences: A Research Note; 2006; Flowers, L. A., Massie, R. F.
- Mobile vs. Fixed-line Surveys in Hong Kong; 2006; Bacon-Shone, J., Lau, L.
- Mobile Phones - Influence on Telephone Surveys; 2006; Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- The open research system: a web based metadata and data repository for collaborative research; 2005; Schweik, C. M., Stepanov, A., Grove, J. M.
- Internet-based travel surveys: Selected evidence on response rates, sampling bias and reliability; 2005; Arentze, T., Bos, I., Molin, E., Timmermans, H.
- Similarity and Helping Behavior on the Web: The Impact of the Convergence of Surnames Between a Solicitor...; 2005; Gueguen, N., Pichot, N., Le Dreff, G.
- Web-Based Surveys; 2005; Ellis, B., Zurita, F., Ventura, J.
- Taking pro-action: A survey of potential users before the availability of wireless access and the implementation...; 2005; Holden, H. A., Deng, M.
- Web survey design for predicting performance using network questions; 2005; Coromina, L.
- How Internet Surveys Are Changing Data Collection Practices: The Case of University Student Surveys...; 2005; Dillman, D. A., Allen, T.
- Sampling procedure, questionnaire design, online implementation; 2005; Jackob, N., Arens, J., Zerback, T.Jowell, R.; de Rouvray, C.
- Technology Trends in Survey Data Collection; 2005; Couper, M. P.
- On the Cost-Efficiency of Mixed-Mode Data Collection with a Web Response Option: Results of a Survey...; 2005; Werner, P., Forsman, G.
- Stated Preference Surveys on Internet – an Effective Method for Finding Passengers’ Preferences...; 2005; Nossum, A.
- Mode dilemmas in cross-national survey time-series; 2005; Jowell, R.
- Self-orientation and group-orientation: Intercultural differences in attitudes toward personalized Web...; 2005; Wernher, I., Nerb, J.
- Web-based Surveys: What Do We Know about Data Quality?; 2005; Pineau, V.
- Simple Approaches to Estimating the Variance of the Propensity Score Weighted Estimator Applied on Volunteer...; 2005; Isaksson, A., Lee, Sunghee
- Variance Estimation for Volunteer Panel Web Surveys Using Propensity Score Adjustment and Calibration...; 2005; Lee, Sunghee, Valliant, R. L.
- Migrating to a Web-based Format While Improving the Edit Process for the Public Libraries Survey; 2005; McLaughlin, J. F., Craig, T. L., O'Shea, P.
- An Experimental Comparison Of Web And Telephone Surveys; 2005; Fricker, S., Galesic, M., Tourangeau, R., Yan, T.
- Telephone Versus Online Surveys; 2005; Williams, T.
- Successful Web Survey Methodologies for Measuring the Impact of Networked Electronic Services; 2005; Franklin, B., Plum, T.
- Combining Operations Management and Information Systems Curricula: Assessing Alumni Preparations for...; 2005; Silva, D., McFadden, K. L.
- Online Interviews as an Instrument of the Development of Organizations. A Meta-Analysis of Online Surveys...; 2005; Poetschke, M., Simonson, J.
- Perceptions of journal quality and research paradigm: results of a web-based survey of British accounting...; 2005; Lowe, A., Locke, J.
- How to conduct behavioral research over the Internet: A begginer s guide to HTML and CGI/Perl; 2004; Fraley, R. C.
- Apache, MySQL, and PHP for Web surveys; 2004; Goeritz, A.
- Web Surveys in Library Research; 2004; Steffensen, J. B.
- An Experimental Study of Language Intensity and Response Rate in E Mail Surveys; 2004; Andersen, P. A., Blackburn, T. R.
- Internet-Based Surveys to Elicit the Value of Risk Reductions; 2004; Hojman, P., de Dios Ortúzar, J., Rizzi, L.
- SFSU Student Voting Survey; 2004; Blash, L., Kosheleva-Coats, J.
- Usability Issues Associated with Converting Establishment Surveys to Web-Based Data Collection; 2004; Fox, J. E., Mockovak, W., Fisher, S. K., Rho, C.
- Choosing the Right Survey Methodology – Telephone or Web?; 2004; Andrew Lester & Associates
- Profile, needs, and expectations of information professionals: What we learned from the 2003 ASIST membership...; 2004; Vaughan, L., Hahn, T. B.
- Valuation of Natural Resource Improvements in the Adirondacks; 2004; Banzhaf, S., Burtraw, D., Evans, D., Krupnick A.
- Assessing Internet Survey Data Collection Methods with Ethnic Nurse Shift Workers.; 2004; Hobbs, B. B., Farr, L. A.
- Nurses' autonomy: influence of nurse managers' actions; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection from Video Game Players: Methodological Issues; 2004; Wood, R. T. A., Griffiths, M. D., Eatough, V.
- The Influence of Graphical and Symbolic Language Manipulations on Responses to Self-Administered Questions...; 2004; Christian, L. M., Dillman, D. A.
- Internet research: privacy, ethics and alienation: an open source approach; 2004; Berry, D. M.
- A Wish List for the Future of CASIC at the National Agricultural Statistics Service; 2004; Manning, A.