Web Survey Bibliography
Title Exposure, Involvement and Satisfaction with Online Activities: A Cross-National Comparison of American and Indian Internet Users
Author Patwardhan, P.
Source Gazette, 66, 5, pp. 411-436
Database SAGE Journals Online
Access date 08.09.2004
Abstract Within a context of primary online activities (e-commerce, information search, communication and entertainment), this study explores exposure (time and frequency), involvement (cognitive and emotional) and post-exposure satisfaction with online activities among Internet users in the US and India. Data were collected through a cross-sectional online survey administered to a non-probability sample of US and Indian Internet users (N = 700). US and Indian Internet users displayed similar patterns of activity engagement. Informative and communicative Internet use, as compared to commercial and recreational use, appears more prevalent at this time. Satisfaction was highest for information search and communication, activities for which higher levels of cognitive and emotional involvement and exposure were also reported. By comparison, lower satisfaction levels were reported for e-commerce and online entertainment, with lower levels of involvement and exposure as well. A notable exception was high cognitive involvement in e-commerce, an activity in which higher levels of cognition may be expected. Indian users appear to be leapfrogging the digital divide. However, use of convenience sampling and likelihood of respondents being early Internet adopters in India may have influenced findings and further research is required to validate the results.
Access/Direct link SAGE Journals Online (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - 2004 (516)
- Mode effects on data quality in mixed mode self-administered paper, on-line and e-mail panel; 2004; Stangl, A.
- Sample Adjustment Weights for Internet Surveys: Restricted Access versus Voluntary Participation; 2004; Ayhan, H. O.
- The State of Online Surveys - Evidence from Germany; 2004; Faas, T.
- Qualitative Software and Methodological Change - on the gap between the writing, teaching and doing...; 2004; Richards, L.
- A Comparison of Sliding Scales with Other Scale Types in Online Surveys; 2004; Bayer, L. R., Thomas, R. K.
- Web Survey Design: Effect of Layout on Measurement Error; 2004; Peytchev, A.
- An Experimental Testing of Format Changes to Reduce Missing Data and Increase; 2004; Lavrakas, P. J., Steve, K. W., Bennett, M., Lai, J. W.
- Methodological and Ethical Problems in Analysis of Web Site Authors; 2004; Petric, G.
- Gender Specific Analysis of Virtual Communication in Panel Online Focus Groups; 2004; Salfinger, B., Paul, V.
- Social Research Methods and the Internet: A Thematic Review; 2004; Hine, C.
- Mobile Phones as a Survey Tool; 2004; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M., Kuusela, V.
- Access pools as a solution to the nonresponse problem?; 2004; Stoop, I.
- How Data Model has benefited application development and methods at ATP; 2004; Lyon, J.
- Designing and building web-based infrastructures for data sharing and collaboration (with examples from...; 2004; Ryssevik, J.
- A Comparison of Ranking versus Rating in Online Surveys; 2004; Thomas, R. K.
- The Validity of Person Tradeoff Measurements: Randomized Trial of Computer Elicitation Versus Face-to...; 2004; Damschroder, L. J., Baron, J., Hershey, J. C., Asch, D. A., Jepson, C., Ubel, P. A.
- Stages of Change and Condom Use among an Internet Sample of Gay and Bisexual Men; 2004; Gullette, D. L., Turner, J. G.
- Factor Structures of Three Measures of Research Self-Efficacy; 2004; Forester, M., Kahn, J. H., Hesson-McInnis, M. S.
- Internet Shopping Orientation Segments: An Exploration of Differences in Consumer Behavior; 2004; McKinney, L. N.
- Ethnography Online: ‘Natives’ Practising and Inscribing Community; 2004; Gatson, S. N., Zweerink, A.
- Researching shyness: a contradiction in terms?; 2004; Scott, S.
- What’s New: A Round-Up of New Products and Initiatives; 2004; Foster, P.
- Exposure, Involvement and Satisfaction with Online Activities: A Cross-National Comparison of American...; 2004; Patwardhan, P.
- How Health Policy and Health Services Researchers are Compensated: Analysis of a Nationwide Salary Survey...; 2004; Resneck, J. Jr., Luft, H.
- Attachment Style and Subjective Motivations for Sex; 2004; Davis, D., Shaver, P. R., Vernon, M. L.
- Modeling Participation in an Online Travel Community; 2004; Wang, Y., Fesenmaier, D. R.
- Methodological Comparison: Telephone vs. Web-based Survey; 2004; Anonymous
- E-Mail Contacts: A Test of Complex Graphical Designs in Survey Research; 2004; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Impacts of the Use of E-Mail and the Internet on Personal Trip-Making Behavior; 2004; Tonn, B. E., Hemrick, A.
- Instrument Effects of Images in Web Surveys: A Research Note; 2004; Witte, J. C., Pargas, R. P., Mobley, C., Hawdon, J.
- How You Ask Counts: A Test of Internet-Related Components of Response Rates to a Web-Based Survey; 2004; Trouteaud, A. R.
- The New Survey on Producer Prices on Non-Domestic Market: A Mixed Mode Data Collection; 2004; de Santis, V., Iacobacci, T.
- VISICAI A Tool for Improving the Quality of Computer Based Questionnaires; 2004; Bachmann, T.
- The Electronic Questionnaire in ISTAT’s New CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Grassia, M. G., Pintaldi, F., Quattrociocchi, L.
- An Experience of Internet Data Collection for a National Survey on Graduates; 2004; Brait, F., Sorvillo, M. P., Venturi, M.
- A Comparison of CAPI and PAPI in a Nationally Representative Danish Health Survey; 2004; Ekholm, O., Hesse, U., Norlev, J., Davidsen, M.
- Changing from PAPI to CAPI: A Longitudinal Study Dealing with Mode-Effects in the German Socio-Economic...; 2004; Schraepler, J. -P., Schupp, J., Wagner, G. G.
- Social Changes and Social Surveys Techniques: New Strategies and Challenges for the Italian Statistical...; 2004; Sabbadini, L. L.
- New Methods for Measuring Quality Indicators of ISTAT’s New CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Giuliani, G., Grassia, M. G., Quattrociocchi, L., Ranaldi, R.
- New Strategies to Improve Quality of ISTAT new CAPI/CATI Labour Force Survey; 2004; Bergamasco, S., Gazzelloni, S., Quattrociocchi, L., Ranaldi, R., Toma, A.
- Catalysts for Change: The Rationale for Mixed Mode Data Collection in the UK; 2004; Jones, J., Borgerson, H., Williams, G., Scott, L., Woolford, J.
- WebmeterTM. Internet audience measurement for media planning; 2004; Molenaar, R., Verhulst, E., Appel, M.
- Exposure data for online media in a mixed media planning database: Research concept and online media...; 2004; Schneller, J., Faehling, G.
- Online measurement. Making sense of streaming media; 2004; Webb, R.
- Online administration of a print audience measurement study. Doing it for real; 2004; Melton, E.
- Print and the online world. The Dutch approach; 2004; Petric, I., Ross, R.
- Internet research ethics in historical context; 2004; Ess, C.
- Legal issues of Internet research; 2004; Weiser, P.
- Internet Research Methods; 2004; Markham, A. N.
- Choosing qualitative software: why does QSR have two packages (N6 and NVivo) and how to choose between...; 2004; Richards, T., Richards, L.