Web Survey Bibliography
Title Successful Recruitment for Online Access Panels
Author Goeritz, A.
Access date 17.03.2004
Abstract An Online Access Panel is a pool of Internet users who have signed-up to take part in WWW-based studies from time to time. Because participants are pre-recruited, surveys and experiments can thus be realized quickly and in a cost-efficient and methodologically favourable manner. A 4x2-factor recruitment experiment was conducted in a University-based Online Access Panel. The number of successfully recruited panelists was the dependent variable. The medium of solicitation was varied at four levels: Each time 500 randomly selected individuals were sent an invitation either by e-mail, letter, or fax, or they received a flyer. Furthermore, half of the solicitations mentioned a lottery into which the newly registered panelists would be entered, whereas the other half of the solicitations did not mention this lottery. There were marked differences in recruitment success between the four different means of contact. With the exception of flyers there were no significant differences due to the lottery information. On the basis of a cost-benefit analysis, recommendations for recruiting panelists are derived.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (790)
- The influence of the field time on data quality in list-based Web surveys; 2009; Goeritz, A., Stieger, S.
- Individual Follow-up of the Target Population: the Plural Strategies of a Web Survey; 2009; Markou, E., de Cledat, B., Razafindratsima, N., Laurent, R., Issenhuth, P.
- Preference for Mobile Interview Surveys? Interplay of costs, errors and biases; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- Asking Factual Knowledge Questions: Reliability in Web-Based, Passive Sampling Surveys ; 2009; Elo, K.
- If You Provide It, Will They Read It? Response Time Effects in a Choice Experiment; 2009; Vista, A. B., Rosenberger, R. S., Collins, A. R.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Yes, VASs can! Increasing the accuracy of survey measurements with computerized visual analogue scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Improving the Design of Complex Matrix Questions; 2009; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Donations to charity as incentives in online panels; 2009; Goeritz, A.; Hox, J.
- Reducing Measurement Error in Web Surveys; 2009; Couper, M. P.
- Collecting Customer Satisfaction Data With Web Surveys; 2009; Vuorensola, L.
- Visual Design Effects on Respondents’ Behavior in Web-Surveys; 2009; Greinöcker, A.
- Increasing the use of e-consultation in primary care: Results of an online survey among non-users of...; 2009; Nijland, N., van Gemert-Pijnen, J. E. W. C., Boer, H., Steehouder, M. F., Seydel, E. R.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Pause Mechanism in Complex Online Surveys; 2009; Milewski, J.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2009; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Response Formats in Cross-cultural Comparisons in Web-based Surveys; 2009; Thomas, R. K.l, Terhanian, G., Funke, F.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Distortion of demographics through technically induced dropout in restricted online surveys; 2009; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Goeritz, A.
- WebEXEC: A Short Self-Report Measure of Executive Function Suitable for Administration via the Internet...; 2009; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Does the seriousness check really sieve out datasets with bad data quality?; 2009; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Don't know and no opinion responses in Web surveys; 2009; Mechling, J., Baker, R. P., Couper, M. P.
- Investigating the High Hurdle Technique; 2009; Frauendorfer, D., Reips, U. -D.
- Volumetric Forecast based on Online Access Panels; 2009; Rodenhausen, T., Drewes, F.
- SNB - Social Network Barometer; 2009; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- Using Interactive Features to Motivate and Probe Responses to Open-Ended Questions; 2009; Christian, L. M., Oudejans, M.
- Payments via Paypal as an Incentive in Online Panels; 2009; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Advertising Effects of Online Video Ads; 2009; Wolf, M., Schönfeldt, J.
- The impact of privacy concerns on data collection; 2009; Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Schofield Paine, C.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Panel Conditioning in Web Surveys: A Comparison between Trained and Fresh Respondents; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Formatting Error with Visual Analogue Scales in Web Surveys; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.
- A literature review on constructing answer formats; 2009; Menold, N., Kaczmirek, L., Hoffmeyer-Zlotnik, J.
- Can a moral reasoning exercise improve response quality to surveys of healthcare priorities?; 2009; Johri, M.
- Methods to increase response to postal and electronic questionnaires; 2009; J., Roberts, I., Clarke, M. J., DiGuiseppi, C., Wentz, R., Kwan, I., Cooper, R., Felix, L. M., Pratap...
- Estimating the robustness of questionnaire results: lessons from a mixed-mode survey of expectations...; 2009; Bonsall, P., Shires, J.
- A hybrid online and offline approach to market measurement studies; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N., Moy, C.
- Impact of T-ACASI on Survey Measurements of Subjective Phenomena ; 2009; Harmon, T., F., Rogers, S. M., Eggleston, E., Roman, A. M., Villarroel, M. A., Chromy, J. R., Ganapathi...
- Open-Ended Questions in Web Surveys: Can Increasing the Size of Answer Boxes and Providing Extra Verbal...; 2009; Smyth, J. D., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M., McBride, M.
- Timing accuracy of Web experiments: A case study using the WebExp software package; 2009; Keller, F., Gunasekharan, S., Mayo, N., Corley, M.
- The reparation of trust after negative feedback – the results of two online experiments among...; 2009; Utz, S.