Web Survey Bibliography
Title Modeling Participation in an Online Travel Community
Author Wang, Y., Fesenmaier, D. R.
Source Journal of Travel Research, 42, 3, pp. 261-270
Database SAGE Journals Online
Access date 08.09.2004
Abstract This study contributes to the understanding of online travel communities by extending and empirically testing a conceptual framework of online travel community member needs. Specifically, the relationships between member needs and their level of participation in an online travel community are examined; in addition, the effects of duration of membership on the level of participation and the role of demographic differences in terms of member needs and participation are explored. The results show that social and hedonic needs have positive effects on level of participation while functional need has a negative effect. Membership status had an influence on level of participation and demographic characteristics were found to play important roles in terms of member needs and participation in online communities. Implications of these findings are discussed as they provide important guidelines for the development of online travel communities.
Access/Direct link SAGE Journals Online (full text)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Leisure (29)
- Surveying “difficult-to-sample” backpackers through Facebook? Employing a mixed-mode dual...; 2013; Morris Paris, C.
- Ebook readings jumps, print book reading declines; 2012; Rainie, L., Duggan, M.
- Using e-surveys to access the views of football fans within online communities; 2012; Gibbons, T., Nuttall, D.
- Exploring New Pathways to Survey Recruitment; 2012; Bilgram, V., Stadler, D.Jawecki, G.
- Recreation Participation and Conservation Attitudes: Differences Between Mail and Online Respondents...; 2011; Graefe, A., Mowen, A. J., Covelli, E.
- Cross-country Comparisons: Effects of Scale Type and Response Style Differences; 2011; Thomas, R. K.
- Separation of selection bias and mode effect in mixed-mode survey – Application to the face-to...; 2011; Bayart, C., Bonnel, P.
- Movie Mobile Polls: Does Survey Mode Make a Difference?; 2010; Williams, D.
- 3 screen measurement: Soccer World Cup 2010; 2010; Conry, S., Benezra, K., Singh, S.
- E-mail Experiments in Web Surveys; 2010; Hupp, A., Murray-Close, M.
- Communicating Disclosure Risk in Informed Consent Statements; 2010; Singer, E., Couper, M. P.
- Effects of Personalization, Length and Choice of Mode on Cooperation Rates for Mixed Mode Recontact...; 2010; Steiger, D. M., Chattopadhyay, M., Royal, D.
- Does Providing a Choice of Survey Modes Influence Response?; 2010; Lesser, V. M., Newton, L., Yang, D.
- Can a professional questionnaire layout make up for a boring topic? The mediating role of topic interest...; 2010; Keusch, F., Mayerhofer, W., Jungreithmaier, S., Weilbuchner, N., Führer, R., Kling, H.
- Differential Effects of Web-Based and Paper-Based Administration of Questionnaire Research Instruments...; 2010; Hardré, P. L., Crowson, H. M., Xie, K.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2010; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- Regular events in travel behaviour research: setup of a longitudinal websurvey; 2006; Cools, M., Moons, E., Wets, G.
- Comparing Mail and Web-Based Survey Distribution Methods: Results of Surveys to Leisure Travel Retailers...; 2005; Cole, S. T.
- An Internet Study of Cybersex Participants; 2005; Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Mansson, S.-A.
- Modeling Participation in an Online Travel Community; 2004; Wang, Y., Fesenmaier, D. R.
- Coverage Error Embedded in Self-Selected Internet-Based Samples: A Case Study of Northern Indiana; 2004; Hwang, Y.-H., Fesenmaier, D. R.
- Open-ended vs. Close-ended Questions in Web Questionnaires; 2003; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- A comparison of online and postal data collection methods in marketing research; 2003; Adam, S., McDonald, H.
- Use of Internet-based household travel diary survey instrument; 2002; Adler, T., Rimmer, L., Carpenter, D.
- Usability Testing of Web Data Collection Instruments; 2002; Thalji, L., Antunes, M. J., Wiebe, E. F.
- Using the Internet for travel and tourism survey research: Experiences from the net traveler survey; 1996; Schonland, A., Williams, P.