Web Survey Bibliography
Title Researching shyness: a contradiction in terms?
Author Scott, S.
Source Qualitative Research, 4, 1, pp. 91-105
Database SAGE Journals Online
Access date 09.09.2004
Abstract The image of the ‘ideal’ research participant as reflexive and articulate is typically associated with loquacious vocality. By contrast, the shy person is apparently quiet and reticent, representing the complete anathema of this ideal. Nevertheless, it is possible to conduct qualitative research with self-defined shy people if we treat shyness as an emergent property of interaction rather than a fixed personality trait. Methodological innovation can help us to avoid evoking shyness in the research encounter itself, as we see from a study in which in-depth interviews and an email-based discussion group allowed participants to step out of the shy role. Drawing on their experiences of observing social life from the margins, these actors provided detailed, reflexive narratives about the social context in which shyness is defined and managed. Paradoxically, therefore, the shy display a unique form of vocality and prove themselves to be remarkably similar to the ‘ideal’ research participant.
Access/Direct link SAGE Journals Online (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - United Kingdom (395)
- Multiple modes in cross-national surveys – a good mix?; 2011; Fitzgerald, R., Martin, P.
- Assessing mode effects: implications of embedding a children's quality of life questionnaire within...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- Survey Response via Mobile Phone: A Total Survey Error Perspective; 2011; Kaminska, O., Lynn, P.
- Usability testing of market research questionnaires; 2011; Coombe, R., Jarrett, C., Johnson, A.
- Applying maximum entropy weighting to on line panel data collection; 2011; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Hartmann, E., Sekhon, J.
- Are reluctant panelists worth the effort? Analysis of measurement error in a probability-based Internet...; 2011; Allum, N., Roberts, C., Sturgis, P.
- Indicators for Monitoring and Improving Representativeness of Response; 2011; Schouten, B., Shlomo, N., Skinner, C.
- Using the Internet for speech research: an evaluative study examining affect in speech; 2011; Knoll, M. A., Uther, M., Costall, A.
- Kids' Life and Times: using an Internet survey to measure children's health-related quality...; 2011; Lloyd, K.
- The effect of the internet on researcher motivations, behaviour and attitudes; 2011; Mulligan, A., Mabe, M.
- Online qualitative approaches: an appraisal; 2011; Parker, K.
- A web-based survey on mephedrone; 2011; Carhart-Harris, R. L., King, L. A., Nutt, D. J.
- Factorial trial found mixed evidence of effects of pre-notification and pleading on response to Web-...; 2011; Felix, L. M., Burchett, H. E., Edwards, P. J.
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey; 2011; Heiervang, E., Goodman, R.
- The Decision Maker's Guide to Online Research; 2010
- Mixed-Method Approaches to Social Network Analysis; 2010; Edwards, G.
- The psychology of survey response, 2nd Edition; 2010; Tourangeau, R., Bradburn, N. M.
- Social measurement through social surveys. An applied approach; 2010; Bulmer, M. et al.
- Designing questions for mixed mode data collection: What have we learnt so far?; 2010; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P.
- The Internet, Electoral Politics and Citizen Participation in Global Perspective; 2010; Gibson, R., Cantijoch, M.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Mobile Experience Sampling: Reaching the Parts of Facebook Other Methods Cannot Reach; 2010; Abdesslem, F. B., Parris, I., Henderson, T.
- Elastic-R, a Google docs-like portal for data analysis in the Cloud ; 2010; Chine, K.
- Is there a future for “real” qualitative market research interviewing in the digital age...; 2010; McPhee, N.
- Qualitative and Qualitative Longitudinal Resources in Europe; 2010; Bishop, L., Neale, B.
- Mobile Research: New Platform, New Thinking ; 2010; Johnson, A. J., Conry, S.
- Managing Quality in Large Multi-Country / Multi-Category / Multi-Modal Studies; 2010; Thompson, J.
- Mobile Research – The future’s in their hands: Exploring the Application of Digital Research...; 2010; Dodgson, S.
- Conditioning Effects in Online Communities; 2010; Cape, P. J.
- Kids' Life and Times: Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice; 2010; Lloyd, K.
- Thoughts on the rise and future of online research ; 2010; Day, D.
- Trial by Ordeal, a medieval approach to a modern day problem; 2010; Cape, P., Cavallaro, K.
- Developing a Research Framework for Usability in Online Surveys: Human-Survey Interaction; 2010; Kaczmirek, L.
- A Study Of Technology Adoption By Researchers: Web and e-science infrastructures to enhance research...; 2010; Pearce, N.
- Using the Internet to Give Children a Voice: An Online Survey of 10-and 11-Year-Old Children in Northern...; 2010; Lloyd, K., Devine, P.
- The ESRC Survey Resources Network - Opportunities for the advancement of survey methods; 2010; Lynn, P., Erens, B.
- The use of web questionnaires in second language acquisition and bilingualism research; 2010; Wilson, R., Dewaele, J. M.
- A mixed-mode approach to data collection: combining web and paper questionnaires to examine nurses...; 2010; Guise, V., Chambers, M., Välimäki, M., Makkonen, P.
- Use of an online questionnaire for follow-up of young female students recruited to a randomised controlled...; 2010; Atherton, H., Oakeshott, P., Aghaizu, A., Hay, P., Kerry, S.
- Effects of a Financial Incentive on Health Researchers’ Response to an Online Survey: a Randomized...; 2010; Wilson, P. M., Petticrew, M., Calnan, M., Nazareth, I.
- Innovations in Social Science Research Methods; 2009; Xenitidou, M., Gilbert, N.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- Sample Design for Understanding Society ; 2009; Lynn, P.
- The Use of Online Methodologies in Data Collection for Gambling and Gaming Addictions; 2009; Griffiths, M. D.
- The Decline And Fall Of The Response Rate: The Fightback ; 2009; Green, A., Staplehurst, S., Windle, R.
- A Structured Approach For Reducing Bias In Surveys Using Online Access Panels ; 2009; Farrer, N., Dayan, Y.
- Presenting Publications in Online Print Audience Questionnaires; 2009; Carroll, J., Collins, S., Farrer, N.