Web Survey Bibliography
Title Item Non Response and Dropouts in Web Surveys
Source RC33 6th International Conference on Social Science Methodology: Recent Developments and Applications in Social Research Methodology, 2004
Access date 14.09.2004
Abstract Dropouts and item non-response are major problems in online surveys, respondents often do not fill out the complete questionnaire. To avoid dropouts and item non-response, questionnaires are often very short and contain simple constructed items only. However, dropouts might be also caused by the way of contacting the respondents. In the framework of a survey conducted by the German Central Library of Medicine (GCLM), medical professionals such as University professors and practitioners (self-employed and in hospitals) were asked for their information behaviour. The questionnaire contains 69 items, some of them with high complexity. We used several different ways for contacting them: 1. Via personal e-mails in which the medical professionals were asked to enter the server where the questionnaire was located. 2. Via pop-up-windows that were placed within the web-pages of the GCLM and within a certain medical information provider where only registered medical professionals have access. 3. Via a link that was integrated in the homepage of Multimedica, which is also an important information provider for medical professionals. As incentive for participating in the survey the respondents were offered three copies of articles from scientific medical journals of their choice (free of charge). After six weeks more than 5000 medical professionals were contacted and more than 1800 interviews were completed without dropouts. Considering the complexity of the individual items, in the presentation we will show the effect of the way of contacting the respondents on dropouts and item non-response.
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - Germany (456)
- Recruiting Online Panel Members from a Mail survey in the General Population: Results from an Exploratory...; 2010; Reuband, K.H.
- Collecting Genetic Samples in Population Wide (Panel) Surveys: Feasibility, Nonresponse and Selectivity...; 2010; Dohmen, T., Falk, A., Montag, C., Reuter, M., Schonlau, M., Schupp, J., Siegel, N., Sunde, U., Wagner...
- The Influence of Response Sets on the Results and Quality of Multivariant Analyses; 2010; Jandura, O., Brosius, H.-B.
- Testing the Applicability of Respondent Driven Sampling as an Online Research Method to Sample Hidden...; 2010; Pajak, D.
- Seriousness Checks are Useful to Improve Data Validity in Online Research; 2010; Diedenhofen, D., Aust, F., Ullrich, S., Musch, J.
- Enrichment of Qualitative Research through Online Approaches: New Insights due to Online CoCreation...; 2010; Krischke-Ramaswamy, M., Knorr, H.
- Eye Tracking and Cognitive Interviewing: Steps to improve online questionnaires; 2010; Tries, S., Sattelberger, S.
- How new engagement techniques and question approaches are revolutionizing online research data gathering...; 2010; Puleston, J.
- Social Networking Sites: New approaches for Online-Panels?; 2010; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- The Impact of Visual and Functional Design Elements in Online Survey Research; 2010; Hammen, K.
- Are well-selected panelists better respondents? Insights into the effect of a master screener on panel...; 2010; Irmer, C., Tress, F.
- Selection Bias in Web Surveys and the Use of Propensity Scores in Forecasting the Result of the 2009...; 2010; Musch, J., Ullrich, S., Diedenhofen, D.
- Self-administered mobile surveys: Usability and (non)participation; 2010; Scherrer, S., Bosnjak, M.
- Social desirability and self-reported health risk behaviors in web-based research: three longitudinal...; 2010; Crutzen, R., Goeritz, A.
- Attention and Usability in Internet Surveys: Effects of Visual Feedback in Grid Questions; 2010; Kaczmirek, L.
- Security and Data Protection: Collection, Storage, Feedback in Internet Research; 2010; Thiele, O., Kaczmirek, L.
- Wie empfinden Teilnehmer die Fragen in Online-Befragungen? Entwicklung eines Diktionärs für die automatische...; 2010; Kaczmirek, L., Baier, C., Züll, C.
- Methoden der Online-Forschung; 2010; Welker, M., Wünsch, C.
- Online-Befragungen im Kontext von Lehrevaluationen – praktisch und unzuverlässig; 2010; Meinefeld, W.
- The Effects of Different Incentives on Data Quantity and Data Quality in Online Panels; 2010; Singh, R. K., Voggeser, B. J., Goeritz, A.
- Breakoff in Web Surveys of the German Longitudinal Election Study (GLES); 2010; Blumenstiel, J. E., Roßmann, J., Steinbrecher, M.
- The longitudinal effect of incentives on participation and data quality in online panels; 2010; Neumann, B. P., Goeritz, A.
- Using lotteries, loyalty points, and other incentives to increase participant response and completion...; 2010; Goeritz, A.
- Cognitive burden of survey questions and response times: A psycholinguistic experiment; 2010; Lenzner, T., Kaczmirek, L., Lenzner, A.
- Mobile surveys from a technological perspective; 2009; Pferdekämper, T., Batanic, B.
- The Effect of Phrasing Scale Items in Low-Brow or High-Brow Language on Responses; 2009; Blasius, J., Friedrichs, J.
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- Methodeneffekte von Web-Befragungen: Soziale Erwünschtheit vs. Soziale Entkontextualisierung; 2009; Taddicken, M.
- A Comparison of Different Survey Periods in Online Surveys of Persons with Eating Disorders and Their...; 2009; Wesemann, D., Grunwald, A., Grunwald, M.
- Are telephone Surveys a dying bread. How declining response rates can be explained and resolved; 2009; Degen, M., Obermüller, A., Schielicke, A.-M.
- Are people sharing their mobile phones? Selection probabilities in cellular telephone surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M., Busse, B.
- Accuracy of Estimates in Access Panel based Surveys; 2009; Enderle, T., Münnich, R., Bruch, C.
- Survey cooperation: response to initial and follow-up requests - Recent experiences from the recruitment...; 2009; Bartsch, S., Engel, U., Schnabel, C., Vehre, H.
- Using Mobile Phones to Administer a Working Memory Updating Task in a Survey - Cognitive Performance...; 2009; Schmiedek, F., Riediger, M., Lindenberger, U., Wagner, G. G.
- Accessibility of individuals for mobile phone surveys; 2009; Gabler, S., Häder, S.
- Mobile Phone Surveys in Germany – Response rates and response behaviour; 2009; Hader, S., Schneiderat, G.
- Interviewer voice characteristics and productivity in telephone surveys; 2009; Best, H., Bauer, G., Steinkopf, L.
- The impact of forgiving wording and question context on social desirability bias in sensitive surveys...; 2009; Naher, A.- F., Krumpal, I.
- Interactive feedback can improve accuracy of responses in web surveys; 2009; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Galesic, M.
- The influence of the field time on data quality in list-based Web surveys; 2009; Goeritz, A., Stieger, S.
- Twisting Rating Scales: Horizontal versus Vertical Visual Analogue Scales versus Categorical Scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Are Respondents Sharing their Mobile Phones? Preliminary results based on a mobile phone panel in Germany...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Potential of self-administered mobile surveys; 2009; Bosnjak, M.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Galesic, M.
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys - A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI ; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Results from 6 Independent Web Experiments Comparing Visual Analogue Scales with Categorical Scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.