Web Survey Bibliography
Title Theory Building in Qualitative Research and Computer Programs for the Management of Textual Data
Author Kelle, U.
Source Sociological Research Online, 2, 2
Access date 14.09.2004
Full text doc (146k)
Abstract This article refers to recent debates about the potential methodological costs and benefits of computer use in qualitative research and about the relationship between methodological approaches (eg. 'Grounded Theory') on the one hand and computer-aided methods of qualitative research on the other. It is argued that the connection between certain computer-aided strategies and methodological approaches is far more loose than is often assumed. Furthermore, the danger of methodological biases and distortion arising from the use of certain software packages is overemphasized in current discussions, as far as basic tasks of textual data management ('coding and retrieval') usually performed by this software are concerned. However, with the development of more advanced and complex coding and retrieval techniques, which are regarded by some authors as tools for 'theory building' in qualitative research, methodological confusion may arise if basic prerequisites of qualitative theory building are not taken into consideration. Therefore, certain aspects of qualitative theory building which are relevant for computer aided methods of textual data management are discussed in the paper.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication1997
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 1997 (115)
- Reinterview: A tool for survey quality improvement; 2007; Feindt, P. et al.
- Thinking about answers. The application of cognitive processes to survey methodology; 1997; Sudman, S., Bradburn, N. M., Schwarz, N.
- Internet marketing research: resources and techniques; 1997; Forrest, E.
- How users read on the web; 1997; Nielsen, J.
- From theoretical concepts to survey question; 1997; Hox, J.
- Feeling thermometers versus 7-point scales. Which are better?; 1997; Alwin, D. F.
- Electronic methods of collecting survey data: A review of E-research; 1997; Tuten, T. L.
- Editing of survey data: How much is enough?; 1997; Grandquist, L., Kovar, J. G.
- Designing rating scales for effective measurernent in surveys; 1997; Krosnick, J. A., Fabrigar, L. R.
- Internet Surveys by Direct Mailing An Innovative Way of Collecting Data; 1997; Swoboda, W. J., Muehlberger, N., Weitkunat, R., Schneeweiss, S.
- Operate your own World-Wide Web server; 1997; Hoffman, R., Macdonald, J., Schmidt, W. C.
- Best Practices in Interviewing Via the Internet; 1997; Witt, K. J.
- Some Considerations for Conducting an Electronic Mail Study with University Students; 1997; Williams, A. N., Morphew, C.C., Nusser, S. M.
- Sixth World Wide Web survey; 1997; Guzdial, M.
- Between Anecdote and Science: Using E-Mail To Learn about Student Experiences; 1997; Furlong, D. K.
- Determining Effective Follow-up of E-Mail Surveys; 1997; Kittleson, M. J.
- A Web-Based Archive of Psychological Experiments: Challenges for Client Server Interactions; 1997; Oehlmann, R.
- Research on internet; 1997; Batagelj, Z.
- Theory Building in Qualitative Research and Computer Programs for the Management of Textual Data; 1997; Kelle, U.
- On the Uses of Computer-Assisted Simulation Modeling in the Social Sciences; 1997; Hanneman, R., Patrick, S.
- Developing Online Market Research Methods and Tools - Considering Theorizing Interacivity: Model and...; 1997; Harris, C.
- Web Survey Issues; 1997; Runfeldt, S.
- The Effect of E-Personality on Research Results; 1997; MacElroy, B.
- Spam and Research on the Internet; 1997; Colby, C.
- Search no Further. Yahoo!'s Audience Analysis Project - A Case Study; 1997; Kottler, R. E.
- Achieving Greater Understanding of Your Target Market Through Online Research; 1997; Stark, M. M.
- New possibilities?! How the enemies of market research try to kill the industry by 'market research...; 1997; Pfleiderer, R.
- The Harris Poll Online; 1997; Jeavons, A., Bayer, L. R.
- Will Interviewers Become Redundent?; 1997; Gerrard, L.
- Online interviewing via world wide web; 1997; Losemann, F.
- Exploiting the Research Potential of the World Wide Web; 1997; Kottler, R. E.
- Conducting Survey Research on the WWW: A Critical Evaluation of Resources; 1997; Kempcke, K.
- How Reuters is Using the Web for Customer Surveys; 1997; Perrott, N.
- The Firm: Automating the Research Process Via the Net; 1997; Haugland, B.
- Ukopinion.com - A Dedicated Web Site Approach to On-line Interviewing; 1997; Comley, P.
- Web Surveys - The Professional Way; 1997; Kottler, R. E.
- QML - Questionnaire Markup Language; 1997; Batagelj, Z.
- Forget the millennium ... the future is www.now; 1997; Lee, H. K., Dea, D.
- Questionnaire Administration via the WWW: A Validation & Reliability Study for a User Satisfaction Questionnaire...; 1997; Harper, B., Slaughter, L., Norman K. L.
- The Internet: Access grows, policies lag; 1997; Frost, M.
- Declarative Specifications and Program Generation Techniques; 1997; Leung, J.
- Choosing E-mail or Web for on-line research; 1997; Chisholm, J.
- CustomerSat.com: Billion Technology Firm Conducts Worldwide Customer Satisfaction Survey via the Internet...; 1997; Chisholm, J., Slevin, J.,
- From here to eternity electronic commerce survey; 1997; Anonymous
- New Software Brings Power and Capability to Web Research; 1997; Anonymous
- On-Line Recruitment & Web Sampling; 1997; Froggatt, M., Coates, D.
- Advertising on the web: Is there response before click-through?; 1997; Briggs, R., Hollis, N.
- FIRM - Technology to Build Your Infrastructure; 1997; Haugland, B.
- The Use of the Internet for Opinion Polls; 1997; Comley, P.