Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?
Source American Psychologist, 53, 9, pp. 1017-1031
Access date 08.10.2004
Abstract The Internet could change the lives of average citizens as much as did the telephone in the early part of the 20th century and television in the 1950s and 1960s. Researchers and social critics are debating whether the Internet is improving or harming participation in community life and social relationships. This research examined the social and psychological impact of the Internet on 169 people in 73 households during their first 1 to 2 years on-line. We used longitudinal data to examine the effects of the Internet on social involvement and psychological well-being. In this sample, the Internet was used extensively for communication. Nonetheless, greater use of the Internet was associated with declines in participants' communication with family members in the household, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their depression and loneliness. These findings have implications for research, for public policy, and for the design of technology.
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (7283)
- Exploring Factors in Contributing Student Progress in the Open University; 2016; Arifin, M. H.
- Web-based survey, calibration, and economic impact assessment of spending in nature based recreation; 2015; Paudel, K. P., Devkota, N., Gyawali, B.
- Predictors of inconsistent responding in web surveys; 2015; Akbulut, Y.
- Patient-Reported Outcomes and Therapeutic Affordances of Social Media: Findings From a Global Online...; 2015; Merolli, M., Gray, K., Martin-Sanchez, F., Lopez-Campos, G.
- The Prostate Cancer Journey Results of an Online Survey of Men and Their Partners; 2015; O'Shaughnessy, P. K., Laws, T. A., Esterman, A.
- Twelve-month prevalence and predictors of self-reported suicidal ideation and suicide attempt among...; 2015; Kang, E. H., Kim, G. M., Hyun, M. K., Choi, S. M., Kim, J. M., Woo, J. M.
- Association between first airborne cedar pollen level peak and pollinosis symptom onset: a web-based...; 2015; Bando, H., Sugiura, H., Ohkusa, Y., Akahane, M., Sano, T., Jojima, N., Okabe, N., Imamura, T.
- A Mixed-Methods Investigation of Factors and Scenarios Influencing College Students’ Decision...; 2015; Koskey, K. L. K.; Cain, B.; Alvim, H. G.; Slager, E. M.
- Selection error in single- and mixed mode surveys of the Dutch general population; 2015; Hox, J., Klausch, L. T., Schouten, B.
- Why do people participate in Web surveys? Applying survey participation theory to Internet survey data...; 2015; Keusch, F.
- Online Administration of a Quantified Self-Questionnaire for Elderly People: A User Satisfaction Survey...; 2015; Beauchet, O., Vilcocq-Merjagnan, C.
- Nannies' Knowledge, Attitude, and Management of Food Allergies of Children: An Online Survey; 2015; Greiwe, J. C., Pazheri, F., Schroer, B.
- Appropriateness, acceptance and sensory preferences based on visual information: A web-based survey...; 2015; Elzerman, J. E., Hoek, A. C., van Boekel, M. J. A. S., Luning, P. A.
- Does Opinion Leadership Increase the Followers on Twitter; 2015; Hwang, Y.
- Measuring birdwatchers preferences: A case for using online networks and mixed-mode surveys; 2015; Guimaraes, M. H., Nunes, L. C., Madureira, L., Santos, J. L., Boski, T., Dentinho, T.
- US Rehabilitation Act, Section 508; 2014
- What's going on? Age, distraction, and multitasking during online survey taking; 2014; Zwarun, L., Hall, Al.
- Unconditional and conditional incentives differentially improved general practitioners' participation...; 2014; Young, J. M., O'Halloran, A., McAulay, C., Pirotta, M., Forsdike, K., Currow, D.
- Nonprobability Web Surveys to Measure Sexual Behaviors and Attitudes in the General Population: A Comparison...; 2014; Erens, B.; Burkill, S.; Couper, M. P.; Conrad, F. C., Clifton, S., Tanton, C., Phelps, A., Datta, J.,...
- Luteal-phase support in assisted reproduction treatment: real-life practices reported worldwide by an...; 2014; Vaisbuch, E., de Ziegler, D., Leong, M., Shoham, Z., Weissman, A.
- Facebook, Twitter, & Qr Codes: An Exploratory Trial Examining The Feasibility Of Social Media Mechanisms...; 2014; Gu, L. L.
- Mode differences in a mixed-mode health interview survey among adults; 2014; Hoebel, J., von der Lippe, E., Lange, C., Ziese, T.
- Time-dependent variation in the responses to the web-based ISAAC questionnaire; 2014; Yoshida, K., Sasaki, M., Odajima, H., Itazawa, T., Hashimoto, K., Furukawa, M., Adachi, Y.
- A Web-Based Survey To Evaluate The Factors Associated With Treatment Seeking Behavior In Adults With...; 2014; Bhattacharya, R., Dwibedi, N.
- 640 Current trends in management of high-risk prostate cancer in Europe: Results of a web-based survey...; 2014; Briganti, A., Isbarn, H., Ost, P., Ploussard, G., Sooriakumaran, P., Van Den Bergh, R.C.N., Van Oort...
- Perioperative management in order to minimise postoperative delirium and postoperative cognitive dysfunction...; 2014; Jildenstål, P. K., Jakobsson, J. G., Hallen, J. L., Berggren, L., Rawal, N.
- A web-based survey of United Kingdom sedation practice in the intensive care unit; 2014; Yassin, S. M., Yassin, J., Terblanche, M., McKenzie, C. A.
- Data Collection Mode Effects On Political Knowledge; 2014; Liu, M., Wang, Y.
- An Experimental Test of the Effects of Survey Sponsorship on Internet and Mail Survey Response; 2014; Edwards, M. L., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- Assessing the Potential of Paradata and Other Auxiliary Data for Nonresponse Adjustments; 2014; Krueger, B. S., West, B. T.
- QRTEngine: An easy solution for running online reaction time experiments using Qualtrics; 2014; Barnhoorn, J. S., Haasnoot, E., Bocanegra, B. R., van Steenbergen, H.
- Disclosure of sensitive behaviors across self-administered survey modes: a meta-analysis; 2014; Gnambs, T., Kaspar, K.
- Build your own social network laboratory with Social Lab: a tool for research in social media; 2014; Garaizar, P., Reips, U.-D.
- Is Vague Valid? The Comparative Predictive Validity of Vague Quantifiers and Numeric Response Options...; 2014; Al Baghal, T.
- The Effect of Answering in a Preferred Versus a Non-Preferred Survey Mode on Measurement; 2014; Smyth, J. D., Olson, K., Kasabian, A.
- Self-reported cheating in web surveys on political knowledge; 2014; Jensen, C., Thomsen, J. P. F.
- The invisible Interviewer: Old and New Methodological Issues in Online Research; 2014; Niero, M.
- Mobile Response in Web Panels; 2014; de Bruijne, M., Wijnant, A.
- Improving Survey Response Rates in Online Panels Effects of Low-Cost Incentives and Cost-Free Text Appeal...; 2014; Pedersen, M. J., Nielsen, C. V.
- Open-ended questions in Web Surveys-Using visual and adaptive questionnaire design to improve narrative...; 2014; Emde, M.
- Query on Data Collection for Social Surveys; 2014; Blanke, K., Luiten, A.
- ESSnet (DCSS) - Lessons so far; 2014; Blanke, K., Luiten, A.
- ESSnet Project: Data Collection for Social Surveys using Multiple Modes (DCSS) ; 2014; Ruenz, P., Blanke, K.
- A mixed-methods study on perceptions towards use of Rapid Ethical Assessment to improve informed consent...; 2014; Addissie, A., Davey, G., Newport, M. J., Addissie, T., MacGregor, H., Feleke, Y., Farsides, B.
- Questionnaire length and breakoffs in web surveys: a meta study; 2014; Vehovar, V., Cehovin, G.
- The need of and the demand for completing surveys on mobile devices; 2014; Toninelli, D., Revilla, M., Ochoa, C.
- The design for an advanced, multi-country, web-based occupational survey and coding tool for ISCO-08; 2014; Tijdens, T.
- Does switching the way verbal and numeric scale labels are assigned influence responses?; 2014; Struminskaya, B., Schaurer, I., Bosnjak, M.
- Targeting the bias – the impact of mass media attention on sample composition and representativeness...; 2014; Steinmetz, S., Tijdens, K. G., Oez, F., de Pedraza, P.
- Using computational linguistic resources to evaluate and improve survey questions; 2014; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.