Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?
Source American Psychologist, 53, 9, pp. 1017-1031
Access date 08.10.2004
Abstract The Internet could change the lives of average citizens as much as did the telephone in the early part of the 20th century and television in the 1950s and 1960s. Researchers and social critics are debating whether the Internet is improving or harming participation in community life and social relationships. This research examined the social and psychological impact of the Internet on 169 people in 73 households during their first 1 to 2 years on-line. We used longitudinal data to examine the effects of the Internet on social involvement and psychological well-being. In this sample, the Internet was used extensively for communication. Nonetheless, greater use of the Internet was associated with declines in participants' communication with family members in the household, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their depression and loneliness. These findings have implications for research, for public policy, and for the design of technology.
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (7106)
- Check the Phone Book: Testing Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Recall Aids for Personal...; 2014; Hsieh, Y. P.
- Using Eye Tracking to Evaluate Email Notifications of Surveys and Online Surveys Collecting Address...; 2014; Olmsted, E. L., Nichols, E. M.
- Respondent Processing of Multiple Images throughout a Web Survey; 2014; Charoenruk, N., Stange, M.
- Using Eye Tracking to Examine the Visual Design of Web Surveys; 2014; Zhou, Q., Ricci, K., Olson, K., Smyth, J. D.
- Achieving Balance: Understanding the Relationship between Complexity and Response Quality; 2014; Kirchner, A., Powell, R.
- Question Grouping and Matrices in Web Surveys: Using Response and Auxiliary Data to Examine Question...; 2014; Bilgen, I., Stern, M. J.
- The Grouping of Items in Mobile Web Surveys; 2014; Mavletova, A. M., Couper, M. P.
- Evaluating the Efficacy of Mixed-Mode Intercept Surveys for Complex Questionnaires; 2014; Puniello, O. T.
- Experiments with Email Formatting; 2014; Lawrence, S., Phillips, B. T.
- Sequential or Simultaneous Multi-Mode? Results from Two Large Surveys of Electric Utility Consumers; 2014; Jackson, C., Ledoux, C.
- Correlates of Attrition in the German Internet Panel: Drop-Outs and Sleepers; 2014; Blom, A. G., Beissel-Durrant, G.
- Survey Breakoff in Online Panels; 2014; McCutcheon, A. L.
- Measuring Nonresponse Bias in Web Surveys: The Role of Health Status; 2014; Zhang, M.
- Providing a Deadline for Response: Results from Two Recent Experiments; 2014; Kaiser, A., Walston, J. T., Medway, R., Ye, C., Tourangeau, R.
- Respondents Playing Fast and Loose?: Antecedents and Consequences of Respondent Speed of Completion; 2014; Thomas, R. K., Barlas, F. M.
- An Epidemiologic Internet Survey of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain in Japan; 2014; Nakamura, I., Nishioka, K., Usui, C., Osada, K., Ichibayashi, H., Ishida, M., Turk, D. C., Matsumoto...
- Does Self-Selection Affect Samples' Representativeness in Online Surveys? An Investigation in Online...; 2014; Khazaal, Y., van Singer, M., Chatton, A., Achab, S., Zullino, D., Rothen, S., Khan, R., Billieux, J.,...
- Awareness and Treatment of Alcohol Dependence in Japan: Results from Internet-Based Surveys in Persons...; 2014; Taguchi, Y., Takei, Y., Sasai, R., Murteira, S.
- Internet-based survey on current practice for evaluation, prevention, and treatment of scars, hypertrophic...; 2014; Lumenta, D. B., Siepmann, E., Kamolz, L. P.
- Awareness and correlates of the role of physical activity in breast cancer prevention among Japanese...; 2014; Miyawaki, R., Shibata, A., Ishii, K., Oka, K.
- Evaluating the impact of response enhancement methods on the risk of nonresponse bias and survey costs...; 2014; Roberts, C.; Vandenplas, C.; Stähli, M.E.
- Barriers and facilitators for participation in a preventive pelvic floor muscle training program from...; 2014; Albers-Heitner, P., Moossdorff-Steinhauser, H., Weemhoff, M., Nieman, F., Berghmans, B.
- Leading Edge Insights: Foundations of Quality 2.0; 2014; Fuguitt, G.
- Current Practices in Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in India: Results of an Online Survey; 2014; Kumar, A.
- Factors associated with the need for information about medicines among pregnant women – a multinational...; 2014; Haemeen-Anttila, K., Kokki, E., Lupatelli, A., Nordeng, H., Jyrkkae, J., Vainio, K., Enlund, H.
- Inside the Turk Understanding Mechanical Turk as a Participant Pool; 2014; Paolacci, G., Chandler, J.
- Differences in intrapersonal and interactional empowerment between lurkers and posters in health-related...; 2014; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G.
- On the Relative Advantage of Mixed-Mode versus Single-Mode Surveys; 2014; Vannieuwenhuyze, J. T. A.
- The 2013 Market Research Technology Survey; 2014; Macer, T.; Wilson, S.
- Test-retest reliability of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood questionnaire...; 2014; Yoshida, K., Adachi, Y., Sasaki, M., et al.
- Risk factors of work disability in patients with inflammatory bowel disease — A Dutch nationwide...; 2014; van der Valk, M. E., Mangen, M.-J. J., Leenders, M., et al.
- Characterizing the practice of oocyte donation: a web-based international survey; 2014; Weissman, A., Leong, M., Sauer, M. V., Shoham, Z.
- Web-based Emergency Department Patient Satisfaction Surveys May Introduce Potential for Bias; 2014; Broadwater-Hollifield, C., Fair, J., Podolsky, S., et al.
- Process Planning for CNC Machining of Swedish Subcontractors – A Web Survey; 2014; Anderberg, S., Beno, T., Pejryd, L.
- Perceptions on developing clinical practice guidelines for traditional medicine in Korea: Results of...; 2014; Choi, J., Choi, T.-Y., A.; A., Yun, K.-J., A., Lim, H.-J., Lee, J. A., Lee, M. S.
- Recognition of and interventions for Mibyeong (subhealth) in South Korea: a national web-based survey...; 2014; Lee, J., Lee, Y., Dong, S. O., Kim, S.-H., Lee, S.
- Are primary care physicians prepared to assist patients for smoking cessation? Results of a national...; 2014; Nobile, C. G. A., Bianco, A., Biafore, A. D., Manuti, B., Pileggi, C., Pavia, M.
- Recruiting an Internet Panel Using Respondent-Driven Sampling; 2014; Schonlau, M., Weidmer, B., Kapteyn, A.
- Systematic Review of the Use of Online Questionnaires of Older Adults; 2014; Remillard, M. L., Mazor, K. M., Cutrona, S. L., Gurwitz, J. H., Tjia, J.
- Validating respondents' identity in online samples; 2014; Baker, R., Miller, C., Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Lange, K., Wilding-Brown, L., Tucker, J.
- Online panel software; 2014; Macer, T.
- The relationship between nonresponse strategies and measurement error; 2014; Malhotra, N., Miller, J. M., Wedeking, J.
- Nonresponse and measurement error in an online panel; 2014; Roberts, C., Allum, N., Sturgis, P.
- Estimating the effects of nonresponses in online panels through imputation; 2014; Zhang, W.
- An empirical test of the impact of smartphones on panel-based online data collection; 2014; Drewes, F.
- Internet and mobile ratings panels; 2014; Napoli, P. M.; Lavrakas, P. J.; Callegaro, M.
- Professional respondents in nonprobability online panels; 2014; Hillygus, D. S., Jackson, N. M., Young, M.
- The impact of speeding on data quality in nonprobability and freshly recruited probability-based online...; 2014; Greszki, R., Meyer, M., Schoen, H.
- Informing panel members about study results; 2014; Scherpenzeel, A., Toepoel, V.
- Determinants of the starting rate and the completion rate in online panel studies; 2014; Goeritz, A.