Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?
Source American Psychologist, 53, 9, pp. 1017-1031
Access date 08.10.2004
Abstract The Internet could change the lives of average citizens as much as did the telephone in the early part of the 20th century and television in the 1950s and 1960s. Researchers and social critics are debating whether the Internet is improving or harming participation in community life and social relationships. This research examined the social and psychological impact of the Internet on 169 people in 73 households during their first 1 to 2 years on-line. We used longitudinal data to examine the effects of the Internet on social involvement and psychological well-being. In this sample, the Internet was used extensively for communication. Nonetheless, greater use of the Internet was associated with declines in participants' communication with family members in the household, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their depression and loneliness. These findings have implications for research, for public policy, and for the design of technology.
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (7074)
- Differences in intrapersonal and interactional empowerment between lurkers and posters in health-related...; 2014; Petrovcic, A., Petric, G.
- On the Relative Advantage of Mixed-Mode versus Single-Mode Surveys; 2014; Vannieuwenhuyze, J. T. A.
- The 2013 Market Research Technology Survey; 2014; Macer, T.; Wilson, S.
- Test-retest reliability of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood questionnaire...; 2014; Yoshida, K., Adachi, Y., Sasaki, M., et al.
- Risk factors of work disability in patients with inflammatory bowel disease — A Dutch nationwide...; 2014; van der Valk, M. E., Mangen, M.-J. J., Leenders, M., et al.
- Characterizing the practice of oocyte donation: a web-based international survey; 2014; Weissman, A., Leong, M., Sauer, M. V., Shoham, Z.
- Web-based Emergency Department Patient Satisfaction Surveys May Introduce Potential for Bias; 2014; Broadwater-Hollifield, C., Fair, J., Podolsky, S., et al.
- Process Planning for CNC Machining of Swedish Subcontractors – A Web Survey; 2014; Anderberg, S., Beno, T., Pejryd, L.
- Perceptions on developing clinical practice guidelines for traditional medicine in Korea: Results of...; 2014; Choi, J., Choi, T.-Y., A.; A., Yun, K.-J., A., Lim, H.-J., Lee, J. A., Lee, M. S.
- Recognition of and interventions for Mibyeong (subhealth) in South Korea: a national web-based survey...; 2014; Lee, J., Lee, Y., Dong, S. O., Kim, S.-H., Lee, S.
- Are primary care physicians prepared to assist patients for smoking cessation? Results of a national...; 2014; Nobile, C. G. A., Bianco, A., Biafore, A. D., Manuti, B., Pileggi, C., Pavia, M.
- Recruiting an Internet Panel Using Respondent-Driven Sampling; 2014; Schonlau, M., Weidmer, B., Kapteyn, A.
- Systematic Review of the Use of Online Questionnaires of Older Adults; 2014; Remillard, M. L., Mazor, K. M., Cutrona, S. L., Gurwitz, J. H., Tjia, J.
- Validating respondents' identity in online samples; 2014; Baker, R., Miller, C., Kachhi-Jiwani, D., Lange, K., Wilding-Brown, L., Tucker, J.
- Online panel software; 2014; Macer, T.
- The relationship between nonresponse strategies and measurement error; 2014; Malhotra, N., Miller, J. M., Wedeking, J.
- Nonresponse and measurement error in an online panel; 2014; Roberts, C., Allum, N., Sturgis, P.
- Estimating the effects of nonresponses in online panels through imputation; 2014; Zhang, W.
- An empirical test of the impact of smartphones on panel-based online data collection; 2014; Drewes, F.
- Internet and mobile ratings panels; 2014; Napoli, P. M.; Lavrakas, P. J.; Callegaro, M.
- Professional respondents in nonprobability online panels; 2014; Hillygus, D. S., Jackson, N. M., Young, M.
- The impact of speeding on data quality in nonprobability and freshly recruited probability-based online...; 2014; Greszki, R., Meyer, M., Schoen, H.
- Informing panel members about study results; 2014; Scherpenzeel, A., Toepoel, V.
- Determinants of the starting rate and the completion rate in online panel studies; 2014; Goeritz, A.
- The untold story of multi-mode (online and mail) consumer panels; 2014; McCutcheon, A. L., Rao, K., Kaminska, O.
- Online panels and validity; 2014; Groenlund, K., Strandberg, K.
- Assessing representativeness of a probability-based online panel in Germany; 2014; Struminskaya, B., Kaczmirek, L., Schaurer, I., Bandilla, W.
- A critical review of studies investigating the quality of data obtained with online panels based on...; 2014; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Yeager, D. S., Krosnick, J. A.
- Online panel research; 2014; Callegaro, M., Baker, R., Bethlehem, J., Goeritz, A., Krosnick, J. A., Lavrakas, P. J.
- Motives for joining nonprobability online panels and their association with survey participation behavior...; 2014; Keusch, F., Batinic, B., Mayerhofer, W.
- Improving web survey quality; 2014; Steinmetz, S., Bianchi, S. M., Tijdens, K. G., Biffignandi, S.
- Facebook Advertisements Recruit Parents of Children With Cancer for an Online Survey of Web-Based Research...; 2014; Akard, T. F., Wray, S., Gilmer, M. J.
- Is Mobile a Reliable Platform For Survey Taking? Defining Quality in Online Surveys From Mobile Respondents...; 2014; Cook, W. A.
- Uses and Misuses of Online-Survey Panels in Digital Research; 2014; Fulgoni, G.
- Design and Implementation of an Online Questionnaire Tool; 2014; Schaniel, R.
- The Influence of the Answer Box Size on Item Nonresponse to Open-Ended Questions in a Web Survey; 2014; Zuell, C., Menold, N., Koerber, S.
- What are the Links in a Web Survey Among Response Time, Quality, and Auto-Evaluation of the Efforts...; 2014; Revilla, M., Ochoa, C.
- Does Age Matter? The Influence of Age on Response Rates in a Mixed-Mode Survey; 2014; Gigliotti, L. M., Dietsch, A.
- Does the Choice of Header Images influence Responses? Findings from a Web Survey on Students’...; 2014; Barth, A.
- Methods and systems for managing an online opinion survey service; 2014; Mcloughlin, M. H., Seton, N., Blesy, K.
- Comparison of the quality estimates in a mixed-mode and a unimode design: an experiment from the European...; 2014; Revilla, M.
- Forget gamification; try writing a humanized survey; 2014; Pettit, A.
- Using respondent tweets to fill in survey gaps; 2014; Murphy, J.
- Using Paradata to Predict and to Correct for Panel Attrition in a Web-based Panel Survey; 2014; Rossmann, J., Gummer, T.
- Targeting the bias – the impact of mass media attention on sample composition and representativeness...; 2014; Steinmetz, S., Oez, F., Tijdens, K. G.
- Offline Households in the German Internet Panel; 2014; Bossert, D., Holthausen, A., Krieger, U.
- Which fieldwork method for what target group? How to improve response rate and data quality; 2014; Wulfert, T., Woppmann, A.
- Exploring selection biases for developing countries - is the web a promising tool for data collection...; 2014; Tijdens, K. G., Steinmetz, S.
- Evaluating mixed-mode redesign strategies against benchmark surveys: the case of the Crime Victimization...; 2014; Klausch, L. T., Hox, J., Schouten, B.
- The quality of ego-centered social network data in web surveys: experiments with a visual elicitation...; 2014; Marcin, B., Matzat, U., Snijders, C.