Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?
Source American Psychologist, 53, 9, pp. 1017-1031
Access date 08.10.2004
Abstract The Internet could change the lives of average citizens as much as did the telephone in the early part of the 20th century and television in the 1950s and 1960s. Researchers and social critics are debating whether the Internet is improving or harming participation in community life and social relationships. This research examined the social and psychological impact of the Internet on 169 people in 73 households during their first 1 to 2 years on-line. We used longitudinal data to examine the effects of the Internet on social involvement and psychological well-being. In this sample, the Internet was used extensively for communication. Nonetheless, greater use of the Internet was associated with declines in participants' communication with family members in the household, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their depression and loneliness. These findings have implications for research, for public policy, and for the design of technology.
Year of publication1998
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (7215)
- Exploring Factors in Contributing Student Progress in the Open University; 2016; Arifin, M. H.
- Does Opinion Leadership Increase the Followers on Twitter; 2015; Hwang, Y.
- Measuring birdwatchers preferences: A case for using online networks and mixed-mode surveys; 2015; Guimaraes, M. H., Nunes, L. C., Madureira, L., Santos, J. L., Boski, T., Dentinho, T.
- Query on Data Collection for Social Surveys; 2014; Blanke, K., Luiten, A.
- ESSnet (DCSS) - Lessons so far; 2014; Blanke, K., Luiten, A.
- ESSnet Project: Data Collection for Social Surveys using Multiple Modes (DCSS) ; 2014; Ruenz, P., Blanke, K.
- A mixed-methods study on perceptions towards use of Rapid Ethical Assessment to improve informed consent...; 2014; Addissie, A., Davey, G., Newport, M. J., Addissie, T., MacGregor, H., Feleke, Y., Farsides, B.
- Questionnaire length and breakoffs in web surveys: a meta study; 2014; Vehovar, V., Cehovin, G.
- The need of and the demand for completing surveys on mobile devices; 2014; Toninelli, D., Revilla, M., Ochoa, C.
- The design for an advanced, multi-country, web-based occupational survey and coding tool for ISCO-08; 2014; Tijdens, T.
- Does switching the way verbal and numeric scale labels are assigned influence responses?; 2014; Struminskaya, B., Schaurer, I., Bosnjak, M.
- Targeting the bias – the impact of mass media attention on sample composition and representativeness...; 2014; Steinmetz, S., Tijdens, K. G., Oez, F., de Pedraza, P.
- Using computational linguistic resources to evaluate and improve survey questions; 2014; Slavec, A., Vehovar, V.
- Investigating respondent multitasking in web surveys: comparison of self-reports and paradata indicators...; 2014; Sendelbah, A., Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- The use of text messages in a web-survey. The case of a survey of Italian graduates; 2014; Sala, E., Respi, C., Decataldo, A.
- The ICT monitoring of chronic patients as a longitudinal survey: an innovative approach and a challenge...; 2014; Romano, M. F., Sardella, M. V., Alboni, F.
- Survey participation via mobile devices in a probability-based online-panel: Prevalence, determinants...; 2014; Poggio, T., Bosnjak, M., Weyandt, K.
- Nonresponse problem in surveys of online communities: An experiment; 2014; Petrovcic, A., Lozar Manfreda, K., Petric, G.
- Towards a systematic use of paradata: the case of the Italian ICT survey; 2014; Nuccitelli, A., Nunnari, A., Nurra, A., Fazio, N. R.
- Coverage error in mobile web surveys across European countries; 2014; Fuchs, M., Metzler, A.
- A gamification effect in web surveys among children and adolescents; 2014; Mavletova, A. M.
- A new efficiency oriented approach for Official Business Web surveys; 2014; Macchia, S., Papa, P.
- Web response in mixed mode designs in official statistics; 2014; Luiten, A.
- A comparison of instant versus delayed interactive feedback in grid questions; 2014; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- Applying survey participation theory to Web surveys; 2014; Keusch, F.
- Combining transaction data with survey data in the Consumer Expenditure Diary; 2014; Haraldsen, G., Amdam, S.
- The effect of a Sequential Mixed-Mode Design on panel attrition: Evidence from an experiment of the...; 2014; Gaia, A.
- Matrix versus paging designs in a brand attribution task; 2014; Conrad, F. G., McCullough, W., Nishimura, R.
- Measuring satisfaction with GOV.UK; 2014; Breeze, N., Jarrett, C.
- Improving the quality of volunteer web panels: Evaluating propensity score adjustments methods and variables...; 2014; Bianchi, A., Steinmetz, S., Toepoel, V.
- Web-respondent-driven sampling; 2014; Bianchi, A., Biffignandi, S., Artaz, R.
- How the survey presentation affects the answers you get: Estimate bias effect in a comparative study; 2014; Bartoli, B., Zucconi, S.
- Comparing errors from non-coverage to other errors in a mobile Web survey; 2014; Antoun, C., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Off-Label Baclofen Prescribing Practices among French Alcohol Specialists: Results of a National Online...; 2014; Rolland, B., Paille, F., Fleury, B., Cottencin, O., Benyamina, A., Aubin, H.-J.
- Influences on regression testing strategies in agile software development environments; 2014; Parsons, D., Susnjak, T., Lange, M.
- The New Majority: How Will Latino Youth Succeed in the Context of Low Educational Expectations and Assumptions...; 2014; Gomez, C. A., Villasenor, E., Mann, E. S., Mandic, C. G., Valladares, E. S., Mercado, V., et al.
- The role of email addresses and email contact in encouraging web response in a mixed mode design ; 2014; Cernat, A., Lynn, P.
- Correlates of Individual Versus Joint Participation in Online Survey Research with Same-Sex Male Couples...; 2014; Millar, B. M., Parsons, J. T., Starks, T. J.
- Self-assessed level of graduating nursing students' nursing skills; 2014; Kajander-Unkuri, S., Katajisto, J., Suhonen, R., Meretoja, R., Saarikoski, M., Salminen, L., Leino-Kilpi...
- Testing if Healthy Perfectionism Enhances Academic Achievement in Australian Secondary School Students...; 2014; Thorpe, E., Nettelbeck, T.
- Emotion management in online groupwork reported by Chinese students; 2014; Xu, J., Du, J., Fan, X.
- Examining the Effect of Prenotification Postcards on Online Survey Response Rate in a University Graduate...; 2014; Lalasz, C. B., Doane, M. J., Springer, V. A., Dahir, V. B.
- A Comparison of Six Sample Providers Regarding Online Privacy Benchmarks; 2014; Schnorf, S., Sedley, A., Ortlieb, M., Woodruff, A.
- The Power of Partisanship in Brazil: Evidence from Survey Experiments; 2014; Samuels, D., Zucco, C.
- Online Polls and Registration-Based Sampling: A New Method for Pre-Election Polling; 2014; Barber, M. J., Mann, C. B., Monson, J. Q., Patterson, K. D.
- Keeping Surveys Valid, Reliable, and Useful: A Tutorial; 2014; Greenberg, M. R., Weiner, M. D.
- Improving Response Rates and Questionnaire Design for Mobile Web Surveys; 2014; de Bruijne, M., Wijnant, A.
- Surveying Louisiana waterfowl hunters: Open web and random mail surveys produce similar responses to...; 2014; Laborde, L. P., Rohwer, F. C., Kaller, M. D., Reynolds, L. A.
- Strategies to address participant misrepresentation for eligibility in Web-based research; 2014; Rubin, A., Coster, W., Helmuth, E., Hermos, J., Kramer, J., Rosenbloom, D.
- Accessing sexual health information online: use, motivations and consequences for youth with different...; 2014; Mitchell, K. J., Ybarra, M. L., Korchmaros, J. D., Kosciw, J. G.