Web Survey Bibliography
Title Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?
Source American Psychologist, 53, 9, pp. 1017-1031
Access date 08.10.2004
Abstract The Internet could change the lives of average citizens as much as did the telephone in the early part of the 20th century and television in the 1950s and 1960s. Researchers and social critics are debating whether the Internet is improving or harming participation in community life and social relationships. This research examined the social and psychological impact of the Internet on 169 people in 73 households during their first 1 to 2 years on-line. We used longitudinal data to examine the effects of the Internet on social involvement and psychological well-being. In this sample, the Internet was used extensively for communication. Nonetheless, greater use of the Internet was associated with declines in participants' communication with family members in the household, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their depression and loneliness. These findings have implications for research, for public policy, and for the design of technology.
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1998
Web Survey Bibliography (6805)
- Measuring well-being: An analysis of different response scales; 2014; van Beuningen, J., van der Houwen, K., Moonen, L.
- The impact of contact effort and interviewer performance on mode-specific nonresponse and measurement...; 2014; Schouten, B., Cobben, F., van der Laan, J., Arends, J.
- How Surveys Can Beef Up Your Social Media Strategy; 2014
- The State of Survey Methodology: Challenges, Dilemmas, and New Frontiers in the Era of the Tailored...; 2014; Stern, M. J., Bilgen, I., Dillman, D. A.
- Topic sensitivity and research design: effects on internet survey respondents' motives; 2014; Albaum, G., Roster, C. A., Smith, S. M.
- Improving Survey Methods: Lessons from Recent Research Lessons from Recent Research; 2014; Engel, U., Jann, B., Lynn, P., Scherpenzeel, A., Sturgis, P.
- e-Social Science Perspective on Survey Process: Towards an Integrated Web Questionnaire Development...; 2014; Vehovar, V., Petrovcic, A., Slavec, A.
- Drop-out rates during completion of an occupation search tree in web-surveys; 2014; Tijdens, K. G.
- Picking up the Bread Crumbs: Holistic Insights from Social Media; 2014; Souda, P.
- Phenomenology of Manic Episodes According to the Presence or Absence of Depressive Features as Defined...; 2014; Vieta, E., Grunze, H., Azorin, J. M., Fagiolini, A.
- Internet and telephonic IVR mixed-mode survey for longitudinal studies: choice, retention, and data...; 2014; Verma, S. K., Courtney, T. K., Lombardi, D. A., Chang, W.-R., Huang, Y.-H., Brennan, M. J., Perry, M...
- Beauty is more than screen deep: Improving the web survey respondent experience through socially-present...; 2014; Casey, T. W., Poropat, A.
- Collecting Paradata for Measurement Error Evaluations; 2013; Olson, K., Parkhurst, B.
- Online questionnaire development: Using film to engage participants and then gather attitudes towards...; 2013; Middleton, A., Bragin, E., Morley, K. I., Parker, M.
- Intra-individual variation of extreme response style in mixed-mode panel studies; 2013; Aichholzer, J.
- 3xnew –A new era for magazine research in Norway; 2013; Broady Aasebø, A., Futsaeter, K. A., Sandvik, I., Østnes, T.
- Advantages of a global multimodal print & digital readership survey; 2013; Cour, N., Saint-Joanis, G.
- Australia: building a 21st century readership survey; 2013; Green, A., White, H.
- The new swiss national readership survey: fit for the future ; 2013; Amschler, H., Hoffmann, J.
- Co-creation with TickiT: Designing and evaluating a clinical eHealth platform for youth; 2013; Whitehouse, S. R.
- An Assessment of Incentive Versus Survey Length Trade-offs in a Web Survey of Radiologists; 2013; Ziegenfuss, J. Y. et al.
- Foster strengths and circumvent weaknesses: Advantages and disadvantages of online versus face-to-face...; 2013; Qiu, M., McDougall, D.
- Decision making in web survey participation of undergraduate students; 2013; Fan, W.
- The effect of language in answering qualitative questions in user experience evaluation web-surveys; 2013; Walsh, T., Nurkka, P., Petrie, H., Olson, J.
- Assessing data quality with time measurements of responses in the Estonian mixed-mode survey experiment...; 2013; Lumiste, K.
- Mixed-mode and the European Social Survey (ESS): evidence from the UK ; 2013; Park, A., Humphrey, A., Agur, M.
- Does Internet Use Improve Surveys?: Studies of Costs, Response Rates and Coverage. ; 2013; Lesser, V. M., Newton, L., Yang, D.
- An Experimental Evaluation of How Mode Sequence for offering Internet, Mail and Telephone Options Affects...; 2013; Finamore, J., Dillman, D. A.
- Survey errors and costs - comparison of mixed-mode and face - to face ESS surveys in Estonia; 2013; Ainsaar, M., Lumiste, K., Lilleoja, L., Roots, A.
- ESS Mixed Mode Experiment Results in Estonia (CAWI and CAPI Mode Sequential Design); 2013; Ainsaar, M., Lilleoja, L., Lumiste, K., Roots, A.
- Video Content in Web Surveys: Effects on Selection Bias and Validity; 2013; Shapiro-Luft, D., Cappella, J.
- Offline Status, Online Status Reproduction of Social Categories in Personal Information Skill and Knowledge...; 2013; Park, Y. J.
- Recruitment strategies of methamphetamine-using men who have sex with men into an online survey; 2013; Wilkerson, J. M., Shenk, J. E., Grey, J. A., Rosser, B. R. S., Noor, S. W.
- Quality of Web surveys; 2013; Revilla, M.
- Web Surveys and Official Statistics: Perspectives and Cases ; 2013; Martelli, B.
- The use of paradata to investigate non-response ; 2013; Vicente, P.
- Developing A Web-Smartphone-Telephone Questionnaire ; 2013; Boreham, R., Wijnant, A.
- Measuring Compliance in Mobile Longitudinal Repeated-Measures Design Study; 2013; Link, M. W.
- Using smartphones in survey research: a multifunctional tool Implementation of a time use app; a feasability...; 2013; Sonck, N., Fernee, H.
- Knowledge of palliative care: An online survey; 2013; Al Qadire, M.
- Application of Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy in Clinical Practice: An Online Survey ; 2013; Pedlow, K., Lennon, S., Wilson, Co.
- Identifying the Research Information Needs of the Racing and Breeding Industries in New Zealand: Results...; 2013; Bolwell, C., Gray, Da., Reid, Ja.
- Online, face-to-face and telephone surveys—Comparing different sampling methods in wine consumer...; 2013; Szolnoki, G., Hoffmann, D.
- Management of Electronic Serials in Academic Libraries: The Results of an Online Survey; 2013; Branscome, B. A.
- Street racing video games and risk-taking driving: An Internet survey of automobile enthusiasts; 2013; Vingilis, E., Seeley, J., Wiesenthal, D. L., Wickens, C. M., Fischer, P., Mann, R. E.
- Reducing Mortality in Acute Kidney Injury Patients: Systematic Review and International Web-Based Survey...; 2013; Landoni, G., Bove, T., Székely, A., Comis, M., Rodseth, R. N., Pasero, D., Ponschab, M., Mucchetti,...
- Differences in self-reported outcomes of open prostatectomy patients and robotic prostatectomy patients...; 2013; O'Shaughnessy, P. K., Laws, T. A., Pinnock, C., Moul, J. W., Esterman, A.
- Cross-cultural comparisons of attitudes toward schizophrenia amongst the general population and physicians...; 2013; Richards, M., Hori, H., Sartorius, N., Kunugi, H.
- Analysis of Urban Public Tran sit Information Requirements in China by Web-based Survey ; 2013; Hou, X., Chen, X.
- Can Mobile Web Surveys Be Taken on Computers? A Discussion on a Multi-Device Survey Design; 2013; de Bruijne, M., Wijnant, A.