Web Survey Bibliography
Title Survey Response Quality: Shirking Behaviour in Internet and Telephone Surveys
Author VanBeselaere, C.
Access date 09.10.2004
Full text pdf (299k)
Abstract The Internet has recently been recognized as a valuable instrument for the collection of opinion data (Schillewaert et al., 1998). One reason the Internet has attracted a lot of attention is because telephone and face-to-face surveys are becoming increasingly difficult to conduct — Americans are more difficult to contact at home or on the phone and are often unwilling to participate in traditional surveys (Remington, 1992).1 Low costs, rapid turn around and the ability to present complex graphical material make the Internet appealing as a new survey mode (Tse et al., 1995; Mehta and Sividas, 1995). However, skepticism remains concerning the ability to obtain useful information through web-based surveys. The objective of survey research is to obtain information about a population of interest. To achieve this, a small proportion of the total population is sampled and survey data from this sample is used to make inferences about the larger population. For useful information to be obtained from the sample, not only is it important that the sample be representative but respondents must provide considered and accurate responses. The issue of sample selection is important if results from samples are to be generalized. This paper, however, focuses on comparing the quality of responses across survey modes.
Access/Direct link Homepage - ISAO (full text)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeReports, seminars
Web Survey Bibliography - Reports, seminars (266)
- SDSC Announces scalable, high-performance data storage cloud; 2011
- Mobile, webmail, desktops: Where are we viewing email now?; 2011
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- Just published: Forrester Wave™ of enterprise feedback management satisfaction and loyalty solutions...; 2011; McInnes, A.
- ISER working paper 2011-31. Is it a good idea to optimise question format for mode of data collection...; 2011; Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hope, S., Jaeckle, A., Lynn, P.
- Internet access quarterly update 2011 Q1; 2011
- Households with Computers, Telephone Subscriptions, and Internet Access, Selected Years, 1997 - 2010; 2011
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Global market research 2011; 2011
- Eurobarometer Special surveys: EB75.1 E-Communications Household Survey. Special Eurobarometer 362; 2011
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- Causes of survey incompletes: Why panelists say they abandon surveys; 2011; Henning, J.
- Beyond data stability: Rising above quality concerns; 2011
- Background - QSOAP; 2011
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2011; 2011
- Web Survey Methodology: Interface Design, Sampling and Statistical Inference; 2011; Couper, M. P.
- Effect of interview modes on measurement of identity; 2011; Nandi, A., Platt, L.
- Maintaining Cross-Sectional Representativeness in a Longitudinal General Population Survey ; 2011; Lynn, P.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 3: Results from Methodological Experiments; 2011; Burton, J., Budd, S., Gilbert, E., Jaeckle, A., McFall, S., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- The Effect of a Mixed Mode Wave on Subsequent Attrition in a Panel Survey: Evidence from the Understanding...; 2011; Lynn, P.
- In the Face of Declining Budgets: The Student Experience at Washington State University ; 2011; Allen, T., Dillman, D. A., Garza, B., Millar, M. M.
- Anchoring vignettes: response consistency and order effects; 2011; Kapteyn, A., Smith, J. P., van Soest, A., Vonkova, H.
- Framing Effects and Expected Social Security Claiming Behavior; 2011; Brown, J., Kapteyn, A., Mitchell, O. S.
- The psychology or survey response. An ASA webinar; 2010; Tourangeau, R.
- Site-intercpet survey best practices; 2010; Henning, J.
- Real ID. State of The Art Representative and Repeatable Online Samples. Behaviorally Profiled Respondents...; 2010; Gittelman, S. H., Trimarchi, E.
- Overview of data collection methodology; 2010
- Libraries nationwide receiving ALA-APA Library Salary Survey Invitation; 2010; Grady, J.
- Global market research 2010; 2010
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct; 2010
- Ekos' observation of MRIA study - Canadian online panels: similar or different?; 2010
- Demographics of mechanical Turk. Ceder working papers; 2010; Ipeirotis, P. G.
- Broadband adoption and use in America; 2010; Horrigan, J.
- Continuity and Innovation in the Design of Understanding Society: the UK Household Longitudinal Study...; 2010; Laurie, H.
- Weighting Strategy for Understanding Society; 2010; Lynn, P., Kaminska, O.
- Lessons from a Randomised Experiment with Mixed-Mode Designs for a Household Panel Survey; 2010; Lynn, P., Uhrig, S.C. N., Burton, J.
- Understanding Society Innovation Panel Wave 2: Results from Methodological Experiments ; 2010; Burton, J., Laurie, H., Uhrig, S.C. N.
- Codebook and explanatory note on the WageIndicator dataset ; 2010; Tijdens, K., van Zijl, S., Hughie-Williams, M., van Klaveren, M., Steinmetz, S.
- Online Survey Research in the Work-Family Field: Basic Concepts and Definitions; 2010; Lambert, A. D.
- Choosing Between Telephone and Online for Survey Data Collection ; 2010; Baker, R. P.
- Using KnowledgePanel® to Improve the Sample Representativeness and Accuracy of Opt-in Panel Data...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Graham, P.
- AAPOR Report on Online Panels; 2010; Baker, R. P., Blumberg, S. J., Brick, J. M. et. al.
- A comparison of surveys using different modes of data collection; 2010; Revilla, M., Saris, W. E.
- Using Address Based Sampling to Survey the General Public by Mail vs. 'Web plus Mail'; 2010; Messer, B. L., Dillman, D. A.
- MarketTools TrueSample; 2009
- ISO 26362 Access panels in market, opinion, and social research-Vocabulary and service requirements; 2009
- Global market research 2009; 2009
- Exploring mode effects in a panel survey of new businesses; 2009; Santos, B., DesRoches, D.