Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Feasibility of Computer-Assisted Survey Interviewing in Africa: Experience from Two Rural Districts in Kenya
Source Social Science Computer Review, 22, 3, pp. 319-334
Database OCLC ECO
Access date 12.10.2004
Abstract This paper explores the use of an audio computer-assisted self-interviewing (audio-CASI) methodology in a household survey of adolescents in two districts of Kenya. Computer software was developed as part of a research project comparing audio-CASI with traditional methods of interviewing about sensitive behaviors, including sexual initiation, risky sexual behavior, coerced sex, and drug and alcohol use. The paper describes the experience of carrying out a household-based study using computers and explores the technical challenges faced by the data collection teams. Few problems emerged with the computer hardware and software, despite the difficult interviewing conditions. The adolescent respondents easily adapted to the computerized interview and were able to complete the survey with minimal assistance from the interviewing staff. However, the computers were not a completely neutral part of the data collection process and added to problems encountered during the fieldwork in one of the districts. Unexpected findings regarding respondents’ perceptions of privacy and confidentiality were also observed.
Access/Direct link OCLC ECO (full text)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Social Science Computer Review (114)
- Comparing Survey Results Obtained via Mobile Devices and Computers: An Experiment With a Mobile Web...; 2013; de Bruijne, M., Wijnant, A.
- Cognitive Probes in Web Surveys: On the Effect of Different Text Box Size and Probing Exposure on Response...; 2013; Behr, D., Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L., Braun, M.
- Data Quality in PC and Mobile Web Surveys; 2013; Mavletova, A. M.
- The Design of Grids in Web Surveys; 2013; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Zhang, C.
- How Do Lotteries and Study Results Influence Response Behavior in Online Panels?; 2013; Goeritz, A., Luthe, S. C.
- Mode Effects in Free-list Elicitation: Comparing Oral, Written, and Web-based Data Collection; 2013; Gravlee, C. C., Bernard, H. R., R., Jacobsohn, A., R.Maxwell, C. R.
- Combining Mail and E-Mail Contacts to Facilitate Participation in Mixed-Mode Surveys; 2012; Israel, G. D.
- Effects of E-Mailed Versus Mailed Invitations and Incentives on Response Rates, Data Quality, and Costs...; 2012; Dykema, J., Stevenson, J., Klein, L., Kim, Y., Day, B.
- The Effectiveness of Survey Recruitment Methods in Second Life; 2012; Dean, E., Cook, S., Murphy, J., Keating, M.
- Asking Probing Questions in Web Surveys: Which factors have an Impact on the Quality of Responses? ; 2012; Behr, D., Kaczmirek, L., Braun, M., Bandilla, W.
- Using the Internet to Administer More Realistic Vignette Experiments; 2012; Caro, F. G., Ho, T., McFadden, D., Gottlieb, A. S., Yee, C., Chan, T.,
- The Impact of Mobilization Media on Off-Line and Online Participation: Are Mobilization Effects Medium...; 2012; Vissers, S., Hooghe, M., Stolle, D., Maheo, V.-A.
- Succinct Survey Measures of Web-Use Skills; 2012; Hargittai, E., Hsieh, Y. P.
- Assessing the Effects of Technical Variance on the Statistical Outcomes of Web Experiments Measuring...; 2012; Brand, A., Bradley, M. T.
- The Effect of Invitation Design on Web Survey Response Rates; 2012; Kaplowitz, M. D., Lupi, F., Couper, M. P., Thorp, L.
- Survey Mode Effects on Data Quality: Comparison of Web and Mail Modes in a U.S. National Panel Survey...; 2012; Shin, E., Johnson, T. P., Rao, K.
- Online Data Collection in Developing Nations: An Investigation into Sample Bias in a Sample of South...; 2012; Payne, J., Barnfather, N.
- Conducting Internet Research With the Transgender Population: Reaching Broad Samples and Collecting...; 2012; Miner, M. H., Bockting, W. O., Swinburne Romine, R., Raman, S.
- How to Increase Response Rates in List-Based Web Survey Samples; 2012; Keusch, F.
- LinkedIn and Facebook in Belgium: The Influences and Biases of Social Network Sites in Recruitment and...; 2011; Caers, R., Castelyns, V.
- Researching Personal Information on the Public Web - Methods and Ethics; 2011; Wilkinson, D., Thelwall, M.
- Words, Numbers, and Visual Heuristics in Web Surveys: Is There a Hierarchy of Importance?; 2011; Toepoel, V., Dillman, D. A.
- Sliders for the Smart: Type of Rating Scale on the Web Interacts With Educational Level; 2011; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D., Thomas, R. K.
- Measuring Political Knowledge in Telephone and Web Surveys: A Cross-National Comparison; 2011; Strabac, Z., Aalberg, T.
- Response Rates and Data Quality in Web and Mail Surveys Administered to PhD Holders; 2011; Barrios, M., Villarroya, A., Borrego, A., Olle, C.
- Computer Literacy and the Accuracy of Substance Use Reporting in an ACASI Survey; 2010; Johnson, T. P., Fendrich, M., Mackesy-Amiti, M. E.
- Mobile Phones in an Environment of Competing Survey Modes: Applying Metric for Evaluation of Costs and...; 2010; Vehovar, V., Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Using Questionnaire Design to Fight Nonresponse Bias in Web Surveys; 2010; Vicente, P., Reis, E.
- Experiments in Mobile Web Survey Design - Similarities to Other Modes and Unique Considerations; 2010; Peytchev, A., Hill, C. A.
- Understanding the Willingness to Participate in Mobile Surveys: Exploring the Role of Utilitarian, Affective...; 2010; Bosnjak, M., Metzger, G., Graef, L.
- Social Network Services as Data Sources and Platforms for e-Researching Social Networks; 2009; Ackland, R.
- The Mode Effect in Mixed-Mode Surveys: Mail and Web Surveys; 2009; Börkan, B.
- Asking Factual Knowledge Questions: Reliability in Web-Based, Passive Sampling Surveys ; 2009; Elo, K.
- An Update on Survey Measures of Web-Oriented Digital Literacy; 2009; Hargittai, E.
- Differences in the Visual Design Language of Paper-and-Pencil Surveys Versus Web Surveys A Field Experimental...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- The Influence of Topic Interest and Interactive Probing on Responses to Open-Ended Questions in Web...; 2009; Holland, J. L., Christian, L. M.
- Matching the Message to the Medium: Results from an Experiment on Internet Survey Email Contacts ; 2008; Klofstad, C. A., Boulianne, J. S., Basson, D.
- Prenotification in Web-Based Access Panel Surveys: The Influence of Mobile Text Messaging Versus E-Mail...; 2008; Bosnjak, M., Neubarth, W., Couper, M. P., Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L.
- How Demographic Characteristics Affect Mode Preference in a Postal/Web Mixed-Mode Survey of Australian...; 2007; Diment, K., Garrett-Jones, S.
- Reducing Nonresponse by SMS Reminders in Mail Surveys; 2007; Virtanen, V., Sirkiä, T., Jokiranta, V.
- Compensating for low topic interest and long surveys: A field experiment on nonresponse in Web surveys...; 2007; Marcus, B., Bosnjak, M., Lindner, S., Pilischenko, S., Schuetz, A.
- Drop Downs and Scroll Mice: The Effect of Response Option Format and Input Mechanism Employed on Data...; 2007; Healey, B.
- Lotteries as Incentives in Longitudinal Web Studies; 2007; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G.
- Cash Lotteries as Incentives in Online Panels; 2006; Goeritz, A.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse and Coverage Errors in a Prerecruited Probability Web Panel Survey; 2006; Lee, Sunghee
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Visual Analog Scales: A Web Experiment; 2006; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Singer, E.
- Web-Based Questionnaires and the Mode Effect: An Evaluation Based on Completion Rates and Data Contents...; 2006; Denscombe, M.
- Trust, Identity, and the Effects of Voting Technologies on Voting Behavior; 2005; Oostveen, A. M., Besselaar, P.
- Technology Trends in Survey Data Collection; 2005; Couper, M. P.
- When Methodology Interferes With Substance; 2005; Schoen, H., Faas, T.