Web Survey Bibliography
Title A brief screening questionnaire for infant sleep problems: Validation and findings for an Internet sample
Author Sadeh, A.
Source Pediatrics, 113, 6, pp. 570-577
Database Web of Science
Access date 12.10.2004
Abstract Objective. To develop and validate (using subjective and objective methods) a brief infant sleep questionnaire (BISQ) that would be appropriate for screening in pediatric settings. Design. Two studies were performed to assess the properties of the BISQ. Study I compared BISQ measures with sleep diary measures and objective actigraphic sleep measures for clinical (N = 43) and control (N = 57) groups of infants (5-29 months of age). The second study was based on an Internet survey of 1028 respondents who completed the BISQ posted on an infant sleep web site. Results. In study I, BISQ measures were found to be correlated significantly with sleep measures derived from actigraphy and sleep diaries. BISQ measures (number of night wakings and nocturnal sleep duration) were the best predictors for distinguishing between clinical and control samples. High test-retest correlations (r > .82) were demonstrated for BISQ measures for a subsample of 26 infants. Study II provided a developmental perspective on BISQ measures. The study demonstrated that BISQ measures derived from a large Internet survey provided developmental and sleep ecology-related findings that corresponded to the existing literature findings on sleep patterns in early childhood. Conclusions. The findings provide psychometric, clinical, and ecologic support for the use of the BISQ as a brief infant sleep screening tool for clinical and research purposes. Potential clinical cutoff scores are provided.
Access/Direct link Web of Science (abstract)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (435)
- Web-Based Questionnaires and the Mode Effect: An Evaluation Based on Completion Rates and Data Contents...; 2006; Denscombe, M.
- Formative Evaluation and Three-Month Follow-Up of an Online Personalized Assessment Feedback Intervention...; 2006; Cunningham, J. A., Humphreys, K., Kypri, K., van Mierlo, T.
- Comparing web and mail responses in a mixed mode survey in college alcohol use research; 2006; McCabe, S. E., Diez, A., Boyd, C. J., Nelson, T. F., Weitzman, E. R.
- Measuring health beliefs on the Internet: A comparison of paper and Internet administrations of the...; 2006; Hewson, C. M., Charlton, J. P.
- Telephone and Web: The Mixed-mode Challenge; 2006; Speize, H., Baker, R. P., Wiitala, W., Greene, J.
- Comparison of Web and mail surveys for studying secondary consequences associated with substance use...; 2006; McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Cranford, J. A., Boyd, C. J.
- Developing and validating a nursing website evaluation questionnaire; 2005; Tsai, S. - L., Chai, S.-K.
- Computer adaptive testing; 2005; Gershon, R. C.
- Survey of substance use among high school students in Taipei: Web-based questionnaire versus paper-and...; 2005; Wang, Y. C., Lee, C. M., Lew-Ting, C. Y., Hsiao, C. K., Chen, W. J.
- E-mail versus Web survey response rates among health education professionals; 2005; Kittleson, M. J., Brown, S. L.
- Effects of Survey Mode on Self-Reports of Adult Alcohol Consumption: A Comparison of Mail, Web and Telephone...; 2005; Link, M. W., Mokdad, A.
- Effects of survey mode, gender, and perceived sensitivity on the quality of data regarding sensitive...; 2005; Mi Kyung, J.
- Sexual and Relationship Characteristics Among an Internet-Based Sample of U.S. Men with and without...; 2005; Cameron, A., Rosen, R. C., Swindle, R. W.
- Using Computer Games Design to Increase Response Rates; 2005; Baelter, O.
- Alternative Modes for Health Surveillance Surveys: An Experiment with Web, Mail, and Telephone; 2005; Link, M. W., Mokdad, A.
- Is a Web survey as effective as a mail survey? A field experiment among computer users; 2005; Kiernan, N. E., Kiernan, M., Oyler, M. A., Gilles, C.
- Benefits of participating in Internet interviews: Women helping women; 2005; Beck, C. T.
- Online Research: Online research captures audience insight, competitive data; 2005; Hirt-Marchand, J.
- Online Research Displacing Phone and Mail Methods.; 2005; Anonymous
- Preliminary validation of a hope scale for a rare health condition using web-based methodology; 2005; Vernberg, D., Snyder, C. R., Schuh, M.
- Information Needs and Visitors' Experience of an Internet Expert Forum on Infertility; 2005; Himmel, W., Meyer, J., Kochen, M. M., Michelmann, H.-W.
- How New Subscribers Use Cancer-Related Online Mailing Lists; 2005; Rimer, B. K., Lyons, E. J., Ribisl, K. M., Bowling, J. M., Golin, C. E., Forlenza, M. J., Meier, A.
- Use of Internet Audience Measurement Data to Gauge Market Share for Online Health Information Services...; 2005; Wood, F. B., Benson, D., LaCroix, E.-M., Siegel, E. R., Fariss, S.
- There Is Hope for the Future: National Survey Results Reveal that Geriatric Medicine Fellows Are Well...; 2005; Pan, C. X., Carmody, S., Leipzig, R. M., Granieri, E., Sullivan, A., Block, S. D., Arnold, R. M.
- Evaluation of surgical margins in melanocytic lesions: a survey among 152 dermatopathologists; 2005; Sellheyer, K., Bergfeld, W. F., Stewart, E., Roberson, G., Hammel, J.
- Web-based and Mailed Questionnaires: A Comparison of Response Rates and Compliance; 2005; Baelter, K., Balter, O., Fondell, E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y.
- Using a web-based survey to assess correlates of intention towards HIV testing among never-been-tested...; 2005; Hou, S.-I., Wisenbaker, J. M.
- Smoking Cessation Research via the Internet: A Feasibility Study; 2005; Stoddard, J. L., Delucchi, K. L., Muñoz, R. F., Collins, M., Pérez-Stable, E. J., Augustson,...
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Analysis of Break-off Patterns in Web Surveys; 2005; Ahsan, S., Broach, R. J.
- Evaluation of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in Young People Using a Web-Based Survey Technique.; 2005; Chung, J. H., des Roches, C. M., Meunier, J., Eavey, R. D.
- The psychometric properties of pen-and-pencil and internet versions of the midlife women's symptom index...; 2005; Im, E. O., Chee, W., Bender, M., Cheng, C.- Y., Tsai, H.- M., Kang, N. M., Lee, H. S.
- An overview of the ethics of cyber-space research and the implication for nurse educators; 2005; Haigh, C., Jones, N. A.
- Demands on web survey tools for epidemiological research; 2005; Baelter, O., Baelter, K.
- Challenges of Internet Recruitment: A Case Study with Disappointing Results; 2005; Koo, M., Skinner, H.
- Challenges in conducting longitudinal randomized controlled trials online - The story of evaluating...; 2005; Davidovich, U.
- Adjusting for selection bias in Web surveys using propensity scores: the case of the Health and Retirement...; 2005; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P.
- Internet-administered adolescent health questionnaires compared with a paper version in a randomized...; 2005; Mangunkusumo, R. T., Moorman, P. W., van den Berg -de Ruiter, A. E., van der Lei, J., de Koning, H....
- Mode effects for collecting alcohol and tobacco data among 3rd and 4th grade students: A randomized...; 2005; McCabe, S. E., Boyd, C. J., Young, A., Crawford, S. D., Pope, D.
- An experiment in call scheduling; 2004; Cunningham, P., Martin, D., Brick, J. M.
- A household panel as a tool for cost-effective health-related population surveys: validity of the "...; 2004; Potthoff, P., Heinemann, Lothar A.J., Guther, B.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Alcohol-related problems experienced by university students in New Zealand; 2004; McGee, R., Kypri, K.
- Using the Web to trap data; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection in Women's Health Research: A Study of Perimenopausal Women with Migraines; 2004; Moloney, M. F.
- The web survey network of sudden infant death syndrome and apparent life-threatening events in the Emilia...; 2004; Parmigiani, S., Bevilacqua, G., Leali, L., Pisani, F.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison (2); 2004; Leece, P., Bhandari, M., Swiontkowski, M., Schemitsch, E., Tornetta, P., Devereaux, P. J., Guyatt, G...
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison; 2004; Ritter, P., Lorig, K., Laurent, D., Matthews, K.
- Feasibility of Collecting Diary Data From Asthma Patients Through Mobile Phones and SMS (Short Message...; 2004; Anhoej, J., Moeldrup, C.
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.