Web Survey Bibliography
Title An Internet survey of asthma treatment
Author Janson, C., Wjst, M.
Source Journal of Asthma, 41, 1, pp. 49-55
Database Web of Science
Access date 12.10.2004
Abstract The aim of this investigation was to study pharmacological treatment in relation to asthma severity among patients visiting an asthma web site on the Internet. The study comprised 650 subjects from 30 countries with self-reported asthma that participated in an Internet based patient survey The survey was posted on the web site Asthma Information Centre (www.mdnet.de). Moderate or severe night cough or wheezing was reported by 43% and activity limitation by 55% of the asthmatics. Short-acting beta-agonists were used by 67% and inhaled steroids by 59%. The use of short-acting beta-agonists decreased with age, whereas the use of inhaled steroids,. long-acting beta-agonists and antileukotrienes was lowest in the youngest (0-20 years) and highest age groups (>60 years). The use of short-acting beta-agonists increased, and the use of inhaled steroids decreased with the severity of nocturnal symptoms (P < 0.01). Side effects were most often reported for oral beta-agonists (42%) and least often for antileukotrienes (9%). We conclude that despite problems with selection and external validity, an online asthma survey produces results that agree highly with more resource-demanding surveys. We find that many asthmatics have a low level of asthma control, and the survey indicates that underuse of inhaled steroids is one of the reasons why the goals set up in asthma guidelines so far have not been reached.
Access/Direct link Web of Science (abstract)
Year of publication2004
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Sweden (53)
- The effect of short formative diagnostic web quizzes with minimal feedback; 2013; Baelter, O., Enstroem, E., Klingenberg, B.
- Measure the response burden in the Swedish Intrastat system; 2012; Weideskog, F.
- Active-Q: Validation of the Web-Based Physical Activity Questionnaire Using Doubly Labeled Water; 2012; Bonn, S. E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y., Christensen, S. E., Moeller, E., Wright, A., Sjoelander, A., Baelter...
- Measuring risk online--feasibility of using FINDRISC in an online workplace survey; 2012; Gyberg, V., Hasson, D., Tuomilehto, J., Rydén, L.
- Triton: a general tool for data collection and micro editing; 2011; Erikson, J.
- Development and Validation of a Web-Based Questionnaire for Surveying Skydivers; 2011; Nilsson, J.; Friden, C.; Buren, V.; Ang, B.
- Comparison of Web and Mail Responses in a Census of Swedish Local Political Representatives; 2011; Gilljam, M., Granberg, D., Holm, B., Persson, M., Karlsson, D., Sundell, A.
- How to Survey All 14 000 Swedish Local Political Representatives And Get 10 000 Responses.; 2011; Gilljam, M.; Granberg, D.; Holm, B.; Persson, M.
- Internet-Based Follow-Up Questionnaire for Measuring Patient-Reported Outcome after Total Hip Replacement...; 2011; Rolfson, O., Salomonsson, R., Garellick, G., E.Dahlberg, L. E.
- Designing Input Fields for Non-Narrative Open-Ended Responses in Web Surveys; 2011; Couper, M. P., Kennedy, C., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- Using a Mixed-Mode Design to Survey Ethnic Minorities?; 2010; Feskens, R., Kappelhof, J.
- Item Nonresponse Analysis for a Mixed-Mode Survey.; 2010; Lorenc, B., Olsson, K.
- A Comparison of Psychometric Properties Between Internet and Paper Versions of Two Depression Instruments...; 2010; Andersson, G., Engstroem, I., Hollaendare, F.
- Contact Strategies to Improve Participation via the Web in a Mixed-Mode Mail and Web Survey; 2010; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Questionnaire Design Guidelines for Establishment Surveys; 2010; Morrison, R. L., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Internet administration of self-report measures commonly used in research on social anxiety disorder...; 2010; Hedman, E., Ljótsson, B., Rück, C., Furmark, T., Carlbring, P., Lindefors, N., Andersson, G.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- Statistical analysis of on-line courses; 2009; Baelter, O.
- Optimal Contact Strategy in a Mail and Web Mixed Mode Survey ; 2009; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Web-based measurement: Effect of completing single or multiple items per webpage; 2009; Thorndike, F. P., Carlbring, P., Smyth, F. L., Magee, J. C., Gonder-Frederick, L., Ost, L. G., Ritterband...
- Swedish National Data Service's Strategy for Sharing and Mediating Data; 2008; Carlhed, C., Alfredsson, I.
- Optimizing the design of web-based questionnaires – experience from a population-based study among...; 2007; Ekman, A., Klint, A.,Dickman, P. W., Adami, H.-O., Litton, J.-E.
- The power of the visible: Visual design for Web surveys; 2006; Couper, M. P.
- Feasibility of Using Web-based Questionnaires in Large Population-based Epidemiological Studies; 2006; Ekman, A., Dickman, P. W., Klint, A., Weiderpass, E., Litton, J.-E.
- Use and Non-use of Clarification Features in Web Surveys; 2006; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Peytchev, A.
- Measuring Perceived and Actual Response Burden in Business Surveys; 2005; Dale, T., Haraldsen, G., Jones, J., Hedlin, D.
- Web surveying academics in seven European countries: challenges encountered; 2005; Smeenk, S., van Selm, M., Eisinga, R.
- On the Cost-Efficiency of Mixed-Mode Data Collection with a Web Response Option: Results of a Survey...; 2005; Werner, P., Forsman, G.
- Simple Approaches to Estimating the Variance of the Propensity Score Weighted Estimator Applied on Volunteer...; 2005; Isaksson, A., Lee, Sunghee
- An Internet Study of Cybersex Participants; 2005; Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Mansson, S.-A.
- Web-based and Mailed Questionnaires: A Comparison of Response Rates and Compliance; 2005; Baelter, K., Balter, O., Fondell, E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y.
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Design your questions right: How to develop, test, evaluate and improve questionnaires; 2004; Henningsson, B.
- List-based Web Surveys: Quality, Timeliness, and Nonresponse in the Steps of the Participation Flow; 2004; Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Vehovar, V.
- Testing Web Surveys; 2004; Baeckstroem, H., Henningsson, B.
- An Internet survey of asthma treatment; 2004; Janson, C., Wjst, M.
- On the Variability of Estimates Based on Propensity-score-weighted Data from Web Panels; 2004; Forsman, G., Danielsson, S. , Isaksson, A.
- Car-user responses to travel demand management measures: goal setting and choice of adaptation alternatives...; 2004; Loukopoulos, P., Jakobsson, C., Garling, T., Schneider, C. M., Fujii, S.
- Measuring newspaper reading during summer period via mobile phones; 2003; Vogelius, L., Widman, L.
- A Comparison between Using the Web and Using the Telephone to Survey Political Opinions; 2003; Forsman, G., Isaksson, A.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- Doec propensity score weighting work for Web Surveys; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- The propensity score and estimation in nonrandom surveys - an overview; 2002; Danielsson, S.
- Mail and Web Surveys: A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in a Study on Students Housing Conditions; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Learning the Web: Internet User Experience and Response to Web Marketing in Sweden; 2002; Dahlen, M.
- IT Diffusion in Swedish organisations from an institutional-evolutionary perspective: Results from a...; 2001; Sandberg, M.
- Advantages of Conducting Employee Research on the Internet: A Case Study; 2000; Sparre, M., Steen, J.
- Differences between Internet samples and conventional samples of men who have sex with men: implications...; 2000; Ross, M. W., Tikkanen, R., Mansson, S.-A.