Web Survey Bibliography
Title Multiple Answer Questions in Self-administered Surveys: The Use of Check-All-That-Apply and Forced-Choice Question Formats
Access date 28.10.2004
Full text pdf (195k)
Abstract This paper reports results from a series of experimental manipulations of check-all-that-apply questions in an Internet survey. One purpose of the experiments was to determine whether reversing the order of the presentation of response options resulted in order effects, including primacy and anchoring. A second purpose was to determine the effects of converting check-all-that-apply guestions to a forced choice-format (e.g. Yes/No for each item). We found that the existence of order effects in check-all-that-apply questions appear to depend on whether questions require respondents to use temporarily or chronically accessible information, as has been previously reported for items requiring selection of only one response option. The conversion to a forced/choised format increased the percentage of respondents answering affirmatively to each response option. Aditionally, forced-choice formatted questions were unaffected by the use of more active answer categories (e.g. fan/not a fan) asw opposed to the common yes/no format. Finally the results from the survey of a random sample of 1503 University students, were quite similar to results from a previous mail survey experiment, suggesting that the response patterens observed in the current experiment result from self-administation in general, and not from a unique characteristic of web survey.
Access/Direct link Hompage - Dillman (full text)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (396)
- Internet-based & Mail Survey: A Hybrid Probabilistic Survey Approach; 2003; Parackal, M.
- Interactive Features in Web Surveys; 2003; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- The Effect of Respondent and Technology Characteristics on the Intention to Participate in Internet-...; 2003; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Adjustments for non-telephone bias in random-digit-dialling surveys; 2003; Frankel, M. R., Srinath, K. P., Hoaglin, D. C.
- Mobile Phone Surveys; 2003; Vehovar, V.
- Data Collection of the 21st Century?; 2003; Giovannini, E.
- Collecting data in the information age: Exploring Web-based survey methods in educational research; 2003; Saxon, D., Garratt, D., Gilroy, P., Cairns, C.
- Tempestivit? and qualit: conceptual aspects and behaviors of answer in surveyings via Internet. An application...; 2003; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- The Impact of the Visible: Images, Spacing, and Other Visual Cues in Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Is the Applicability of Web-Based Surveys for Academic Research limited to the Field of Information...; 2003; Roztocki, N., Lahri, N. A.
- Ten years after; 2003; Bradford, D. P.
- Are you talking to the right people?; 2003; Davis, H.
- Be prepared; 2003; Fitzgerald, A.
- Watch out for dropouts; 2003; Hogg, A., Miller, J.
- Persuasive e-mail invitations; 2003; MacElroy, B.
- Online sample -- can you trust it?; 2003; Maginnis, C.
- Best practices for online research; 2003; Smith, L.
- WebSurveyor and Surveywriter; 2003; Macer, T.
- Internet surveys: limits and beyond limits; 2003; Mititelu, C.
- Validity of the Survey of Health and Internet and Knowledge Network's Panel and Sampling; 2003; Baker, L. C., Bundorf, M. K., Singer, S. J., Wagner, T. H.
- Email-Befragung unter Direktkandidaten. Methodische Erfahrungen aus Baden-Württemberg und Rheinland-...; 2003; Faas, T.
- Offline rekrutierte Access Panels: Königsweg der Online-Forschung?; 2003; Faas, T.
- Adoption of WAP-enabled mobile phones among Internet users; 2003; Teo, T. S. H., Pok, S. H.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Online Survey Design, Development and Implementation Guidelines; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Understanding the effects of audio-CASI on self-reports of sensitive behavior; 2003; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Internet-based intervention to promote organ donor registry participation and family notification; 2003; Merion, R. M., Vinokur, A. D., Couper, M. P.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Cohen, M. L., Groves, R. M., Kalsbeek, W., Cork, D. L.
- Survey Research: In-Person, Mail, Telephone and Web Methods; 2003; Leon, J. J., Brown, W. C., Ruch, L. O., Johnson, T. E.
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods; 2003; Lewis-Beck, M., Bryman, A. E., Futing Liao, T.
- Conducting Qualitative Research On-Line in Student Affairs; 2003; Flowers, L. A., Moore III, J. L.
- Gratification Niches of Monthly Print Magazines and the World Wide Web Among a Group of Special-Interest...; 2003; Randle, Q.
- Web survey data collection and retrieval to plan teleradiology implementation; 2003; Alaoui, A., Collmann, J. R., Johnson, J. A., Lindisch, D., Mun, S. K.
- Database Design for Dynamic Online Surveys; 2003; Pargas, R. P., Witte, J. C., Jaganathan, K., Davis, J. S.
- Prevention and Treatment of Item Nonresponse; 2003; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Huisman, M.
- Localizing TAM to meet industry’s needs utilizing mixed methodology in the Chinese TV market; 2003; Brosenne, M., Taniguchi, M., Wang, P.
- Installing peoplemeter TAM panels in 2000; 2003; Sellick-Petra, A.
- A full year of audience research with PPM. What we’ve learned so far; 2003; Webb, B. M., Patchen, R. H.
- 21st century measurement of 21st century media. PPM’s capture of radio 'dial' switching: The new...; 2003; Stinnett, S., McConochie, R. M., Goerlich, B.
- Measuring formats. Electronic measurement boosts programming; 2003; Mueller, R., Daehler, M.
- Programming and marketing in a PPM world; 2003; Rogerson, D.
- Does recall-based audience measurement truly represent the audiences of speech stations? The results...; 2003; MacKenzie, K., Ridley, B.
- Diary and telephone-based measurement of the network radio audience in the United States. A comparison...; 2003; Lapovsky, D., Evans, T. C. N.
- Keeping visitors and communication effects in site; 2003; Dahlen, M., Rosengren, S., Shulakov, N.
- Measuring consumers' Internet behavior. Unique challenges require new solutions; 2003; Fulgoni, G. M.
- Real Profile. A new approach to online media planning; 2003; Ejdys, P., Cisek, T., Modzelewski, C.
- A new paradigm in interactive audience measurement. Census methodology used to produce online audience...; 2003; Webb, R., Long, M., Caldwell, J.
- Defining the gold standard for user centric global online audience measurement. Developing global standards...; 2003; Goosey, R. W.
- The Canadian experience in developing an outdoor reach & frequency model. Getting from there to here...; 2003; Falbo, M. E., van der Burgt, J.
- The pros and cons of using GPS in outdoor research. The Italian experience; 2003; Mezzasalma, A.
- Online vs. offline administration of print audience measurement studies. A statistical comparison; 2003; Melton, E., Vriens, M.