Web Survey Bibliography
Title Navigating the Rapids of Change: Some Observations on Survey Methodology in the Early 21st Century
Author Dillman, D. A.
Access date 15.11.2004
Full text pdf (144k)
Abstract These are chalenging times for survey methodologists. The telephone is no longer the most impropriate technology for conducting survey. But the internet has not served as an immediate source of salvation. It is limited by restriction on acces, an inability to develop sampling frames, and response rates that are mostly lower than those achievable by telephone. Other data collection methodologies, from Interactive Voice Response to classroom and home administration for computers, and mixed-mode designs are beeing proposed as unique for specific survey topics and populations. Random sampling from defined populations is beeing forgone by some, replaced by modeling of data collected from volunteer panels. The current situation, seen from a methodological perspective, has elements of beeing both the best and worst of time. Less than a decade into the era of electronic surveying is not atime for either despair or jubilation, but i think it's an appropriate time to take a look at where survey methodology has been and where it might be going.
Access/Direct link Homepage - Dillman (full text)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Voice technology (40)
- Media tracker; 2012
- Specific mixed-mode methodology to reach sensory disabled people in quantitative surveys; 2012; Fontaine, S.
- The Usage of a Cloud Service as an Effective Way of Sharing Cognitive and Usability Test Information; 2012; Rouhunkoski, J., Godenhjelm, P.
- For winning qualitative, make it high-touch + high-tech; 2012; Barber, E., McIlrath, M.
- Using Text-to-Speech (TTS) for Audio-CASI; 2012; Couper, M. P., Kirgis, N., Buageila, S., Berglund, P.
- Data Quality from Low Cost Data Collection Methodologies; 2012; Traugott, M. W.
- Survey paradata: a review; 2011; Nicolaas, G.
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- Population screening of risky alcohol and drug use via Internet and Interactive Voice Response (IVR):...; 2011; Sinadinovic, K., Wennberg, P., Berman, A. H.
- IVR and web administration in structured interviews utilizing rating scales: exploring the role of motivation...; 2011; Yang, Y., Callegaro, M., Bhola, D. S., Dillman, D. A.
- The impact of next and back buttons on time to complete and measurement reliability in computer-based...; 2010; Gershon, R. C. et al.
- Interactive Voice Response and web-based questionnaires for population-based infectious disease reporting...; 2010; Bexelius, C., Merk, H., Sandin, S., Nyrén, O., Kühlmann-Berenzon, S., Linde, A., Litton, J.-E.
- Continuous Measurement of Musically-Induced Emotion: A Web Experiment ; 2009; Egermann, H., Nagel, F., Altenmueller, E., Kopiez, R.
- E-epidemiology : Adapting epidemiological methods for the 21st century; 2009; Bexelius, C.
- Innovative online research: The US presidential campaign of Barack Obama case study; 2009; Riley, R.
- Mobile phone surveys in mixed mode environment; 2009; Vehovar, V.
- IVR: Interactive voice technology; 2008; Miller-Steiger, D., Conroy, B.
- Improving Data Quality from Student Surveys: A Natural Experiment in South Africa to Test the Impact...; 2007; Courser, M., Zimmerman, R., Cupp, P., Bhana, A.
- Evolution of Audio Recording in Field Surveys; 2007; Thissen, R., Sattaluri, S., McFarlane, E., Biemer, P. P.
- Methods and Horse Races: How Internet, IVR and Phone Polls Performed in the 2006 Elections; 2007; Blumenthal, M., Franklin, C. H.
- Evaluating Patients' Experiences with Individual Physicians: A Randomized Trial of Mail, Internet, and...; 2006; Rodriguez, H. P., von Glahn, T., Rogers, W. H., Chang, H., Fanjiang, G., Safran, D. G.
- Complementing Random-Digit-Dial Telephone Surveys term with Other Approaches to Collecting Sensitive...; 2006; Galesic, M., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P.
- Sound Bytes: Capturing Audio in Survey Interviews; 2005; Hansen, S. E., Krysan, M., Couper, M. P.
- A household panel as a tool for cost-effective health-related population surveys: validity of the "...; 2004; Potthoff, P., Heinemann, Lothar A.J., Guther, B.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Usability, Comparability And Data Quality Across Modes And Technologies In Census Data Collection; 2004; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Does Voice Matter? An Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Experiment; 2004; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Does the Web Doom Traditional Call Centers?; 2004; Olsen, R. J.
- Modeling Survey Respondents' Speech to Improve Speech Survey Interface; 2004; Ehlen, P., Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G.
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book); 2003; Zimmerman, D. E.
- Humanizing self-administered surveys: experiments on social presence in web and IVR surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Stegier, D.M.Steiger, D. M.; de Rouvray, C.
- Web Surveys to Digital Movies: Technological Tools of the Trade; 2002; Fetterman, D. M.
- Navigating the Rapids of Change: Some Observations on Survey Methodology in the Early 21st Century; 2002; Dillman, D. A.
- IAPI (Internet Aided Personal Interview); 2002; Muehlenfeld, H. -U.
- An Experiment Comparing Computer-Assisted and Paper Modes of Data Collection for the Short Form in Census...; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., Nguyen, L., Guarino, J. A.
- Self-administered questions by telephone: Evaluating interactive voice response; 2002; Tourangeau, R., Steiger, D. M.,
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book Review); 2001; Faubion, C. W., Andrew, J. D.
- Humanizing Self-Administered Surveys: Experiments on Social Presence on the Web and Interactive Voice...; 2001; Steiger, D. M., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Comparison of Telephone, Mail, Web, and IVR Surveys; 2000; Bason, J. J.
- A Conversational Approach to Text-Based Computer-Administered Questionnaires; 1999; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.