Web Survey Bibliography
Title Electronic Survey Methodology: A Case Study in Reaching Hard to Involve Internet Users
Source International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 16, 2, pp. 185-210
Access date 17.11.2004
Abstract Using the Internet to conduct quantitative research presents challenges not found in conventional research. Some of our knowledge concerning the effective design and use of paper-based surveys does translate into electronic formats. However, electronic surveys have distinctive technological, demographic and response characteristics that affect how they should be designed, when they can be used and how they can be implemented. Survey design, subject privacy and confidentiality, sampling and subject solicitation, distribution methods and response rates and survey piloting are critical methodological components that must be addressed in order to conduct sound online research. This paper focuses on those distinctive characteristics. It reviews the current literature on the subject of electronic surveys and presents guidelines for designing, developing and implementing them, articularly web-based surveys. This paper argues that Web-based surveys are superior to email surveys in many aspects, but that email combined, perhaps with offline media, is an excellent vehicle for inviting individuals to participate in Web-based surveys. The application of these guidelines are demonstrated through the authors’ current research involving defining the nature of “non-public participation” (commonly referred to as lurking) in online discussion groups. Guidelines do not eliminate the many “trade-off” decisions required in the use of online surveys.
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (396)
- Internet-based & Mail Survey: A Hybrid Probabilistic Survey Approach; 2003; Parackal, M.
- Interactive Features in Web Surveys; 2003; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- The Effect of Respondent and Technology Characteristics on the Intention to Participate in Internet-...; 2003; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Adjustments for non-telephone bias in random-digit-dialling surveys; 2003; Frankel, M. R., Srinath, K. P., Hoaglin, D. C.
- Mobile Phone Surveys; 2003; Vehovar, V.
- Data Collection of the 21st Century?; 2003; Giovannini, E.
- Collecting data in the information age: Exploring Web-based survey methods in educational research; 2003; Saxon, D., Garratt, D., Gilroy, P., Cairns, C.
- Tempestivit? and qualit: conceptual aspects and behaviors of answer in surveyings via Internet. An application...; 2003; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- The Impact of the Visible: Images, Spacing, and Other Visual Cues in Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Is the Applicability of Web-Based Surveys for Academic Research limited to the Field of Information...; 2003; Roztocki, N., Lahri, N. A.
- Ten years after; 2003; Bradford, D. P.
- Are you talking to the right people?; 2003; Davis, H.
- Be prepared; 2003; Fitzgerald, A.
- Watch out for dropouts; 2003; Hogg, A., Miller, J.
- Persuasive e-mail invitations; 2003; MacElroy, B.
- Online sample -- can you trust it?; 2003; Maginnis, C.
- Best practices for online research; 2003; Smith, L.
- WebSurveyor and Surveywriter; 2003; Macer, T.
- Internet surveys: limits and beyond limits; 2003; Mititelu, C.
- Validity of the Survey of Health and Internet and Knowledge Network's Panel and Sampling; 2003; Baker, L. C., Bundorf, M. K., Singer, S. J., Wagner, T. H.
- Email-Befragung unter Direktkandidaten. Methodische Erfahrungen aus Baden-Württemberg und Rheinland-...; 2003; Faas, T.
- Offline rekrutierte Access Panels: Königsweg der Online-Forschung?; 2003; Faas, T.
- Adoption of WAP-enabled mobile phones among Internet users; 2003; Teo, T. S. H., Pok, S. H.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Online Survey Design, Development and Implementation Guidelines; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Understanding the effects of audio-CASI on self-reports of sensitive behavior; 2003; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Internet-based intervention to promote organ donor registry participation and family notification; 2003; Merion, R. M., Vinokur, A. D., Couper, M. P.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Cohen, M. L., Groves, R. M., Kalsbeek, W., Cork, D. L.
- Survey Research: In-Person, Mail, Telephone and Web Methods; 2003; Leon, J. J., Brown, W. C., Ruch, L. O., Johnson, T. E.
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods; 2003; Lewis-Beck, M., Bryman, A. E., Futing Liao, T.
- Conducting Qualitative Research On-Line in Student Affairs; 2003; Flowers, L. A., Moore III, J. L.
- Gratification Niches of Monthly Print Magazines and the World Wide Web Among a Group of Special-Interest...; 2003; Randle, Q.
- Web survey data collection and retrieval to plan teleradiology implementation; 2003; Alaoui, A., Collmann, J. R., Johnson, J. A., Lindisch, D., Mun, S. K.
- Database Design for Dynamic Online Surveys; 2003; Pargas, R. P., Witte, J. C., Jaganathan, K., Davis, J. S.
- Prevention and Treatment of Item Nonresponse; 2003; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Huisman, M.
- Localizing TAM to meet industry’s needs utilizing mixed methodology in the Chinese TV market; 2003; Brosenne, M., Taniguchi, M., Wang, P.
- Installing peoplemeter TAM panels in 2000; 2003; Sellick-Petra, A.
- A full year of audience research with PPM. What we’ve learned so far; 2003; Webb, B. M., Patchen, R. H.
- 21st century measurement of 21st century media. PPM’s capture of radio 'dial' switching: The new...; 2003; Stinnett, S., McConochie, R. M., Goerlich, B.
- Measuring formats. Electronic measurement boosts programming; 2003; Mueller, R., Daehler, M.
- Programming and marketing in a PPM world; 2003; Rogerson, D.
- Does recall-based audience measurement truly represent the audiences of speech stations? The results...; 2003; MacKenzie, K., Ridley, B.
- Diary and telephone-based measurement of the network radio audience in the United States. A comparison...; 2003; Lapovsky, D., Evans, T. C. N.
- Keeping visitors and communication effects in site; 2003; Dahlen, M., Rosengren, S., Shulakov, N.
- Measuring consumers' Internet behavior. Unique challenges require new solutions; 2003; Fulgoni, G. M.
- Real Profile. A new approach to online media planning; 2003; Ejdys, P., Cisek, T., Modzelewski, C.
- A new paradigm in interactive audience measurement. Census methodology used to produce online audience...; 2003; Webb, R., Long, M., Caldwell, J.
- Defining the gold standard for user centric global online audience measurement. Developing global standards...; 2003; Goosey, R. W.
- The Canadian experience in developing an outdoor reach & frequency model. Getting from there to here...; 2003; Falbo, M. E., van der Burgt, J.
- The pros and cons of using GPS in outdoor research. The Italian experience; 2003; Mezzasalma, A.
- Online vs. offline administration of print audience measurement studies. A statistical comparison; 2003; Melton, E., Vriens, M.