Web Survey Bibliography
Title Strategies for reducing online privacy risks: Why consumers read (or don't read) online privacy notices
Source Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18, 3, pp. 15-29
Database Willey InterScience
Access date 19.11.2004
Abstract Online privacy notices are intended to promote consumer choice and reduce the risks of disclosing personal information online. However, these effects result only if consumers read and use the information contained in the notices. This study used an online survey of 2,468 U.S. adult Internet users to investigate why online consumers read privacy notices across a variety of situations. We found that reading is related to concern for privacy, positive perceptions about notice comprehension, and higher levels of trust in the notice. This suggests that effective privacy notices serve an important function in addressing risk issues related to e-commerce. We further found that reading privacy notices is only one element in an overall strategy consumers use to manage the risks of disclosing personal information online.
Access/Direct link Wiley InterScience (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2004
Web Survey Bibliography - 2004 (516)
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.
- The Psychometric Properties of the Internet Addiction Test; 2004; Widyanto, L., McMurran, M.
- New Age Eunuchs: Motivation and Rationale for Voluntary Castration; 2004; Wassersug, R. J., Zelenietz, S. A., Squire, G. F.
- Self-reported Premature Ejaculation and Aspects of Sexual Functioning and Satisfaction; 2004; Rowland, D., Perelman, M., Althof, S., Barada, J., McCullough, A., Bull, S., Jamieson, C., Ho, K. -F...
- What makes an error unacceptable? A factorial survey on the disclosure of medical errors; 2004; Schwappach, D. L. B., Koeck, C. M.
- Surgical Management of Obese Patients with Eating Disorders: A Survey of Current Practice; 2004; Devlin, M. J., Goldfein, J. A., Flancbaum, L., Bessler, M., Eisenstadt, R.
- Egg Consumption Patterns and Salmonella Risk in Finland; 2004; Lievonen, S., Havulinna, A. S., Maijala, R.
- Current Status of Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine Headache in Japanese Women; 2004; Igarashi, H., Sakai, F.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S. -W.
- Development of web-based qualitative and quantitative data collection systems: Study on daily symptoms...; 2004; Kanzaki, H., Makimoto, K., Takemura, T., Ashida, N.
- Nurses' autonomy: influence of nurse managers' actions; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection from Video Game Players: Methodological Issues; 2004; Wood, R. T. A., Griffiths, M. D., Eatough, V.
- The usability of CAS systems: an Intemet-based survey; 2004; Wu, T., Zimolong, A., Radermacher, K.
- The design and analysis of anonymous Internet marketing survey protocol; 2004; Qi, M., Ma, Q. M., Liu, Y. F.
- Recent converts; 2004; Fielding, M.
- Does Telephone Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing Improve the Accuracy of Prevalence Estimates...; 2004; Currivan, D. B., Nyman, A. L., Biener, L. F., Turner, C. F.
- Pros and cons of paper and electronic surveys; 2004; Porter, S. R.
- Electronic Survey Administration: Assessment in the Twenty-First Century; 2004; Olsen, D., Wygant, S., Brown, B. L.
- Formative Evaluation of a Family Life Education Web Site; 2004; Steimle, B. M., Duncan, S. F.
- The state of readiness of student health professionals for web-based learning environments; 2004; Stokes, C. W., Cannavina, C., Cannavina, G.
- A comparison of a computer-based questionnaire and personal interviews in determining oral health-related...; 2004; Chestnutt, I. G., Morgan, M. Z., Hoddell, C., Playle, R.
- A Comparison of Three Data Collection Survey Modes Among Southern Baptist Youth Workers; 2004; Sedwick, J. L.
- The Survey Says; 2004; Amine, R., Fourqurean, J.
- Strategies for reducing online privacy risks: Why consumers read (or don't read) online privacy notices...; 2004; Milne, G. R., Culnan, M. J.
- Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members; 2004; Flume, P. A., Taylor, L. A., Anderson, D. L., Gray, S., Turner, D.
- Customer perceived value, satisfaction, and loyalty: The role of switching costs; 2004; Yang, Z., Peterson, R. T.
- Will Libraries' Web-based Survey Methods Replace Existing Non-Electronic Survey Methods?; 2004; Perkins, G. H.
- Library usage patterns in the electronic information environment; 2004; Franklin, B., Plum, T.
- The Influence of Incremental Increases in Token Cash Incentives on Mail Survey Response; 2004; Trussell, N., Lavrakas, P. J.
- Thoughts on the Future of Survey Research; 2004; Bradburn, N. M.
- A Comparison of Web- with Paper-Based Surveys of Gay and Bisexual Men Who Vacationed in a Gay Resort...; 2004; Knapp Whittier, D., Seeley, S., st. Lawrence, J. S.
- The influence of mobile phone usage on survey data collection; 2004; Vehovar, V., Belak, E.
- Web-Based Behavioral Surveillance Among Men Who Have Sex With Men: A Comparison of Online and Offline...; 2004; Elford, J., Bolding, G., Davis, M., Sherr, L., Hart, G.
- The impact of material incentives on response quantity, response quality, sample composition, survey...; 2004; Goeritz, A.
- Comparison of the quality of qualitative data obtained through telephone, postal and email surveys; 2004; Coderre, F., St-Laurent, N., Mathieu, A.
- Spacing, Position, and Order: Interpretive Heuristics for Visual Features of Survey Questions; 2004; Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Flow on the net: detecting Web users' positive affects and their flow states; 2004; Chen, H.
- Attempting to adjust for selection bias in Web surveys with propensity scores: the case of the Health...; 2004; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P., Winter, J.
- Implementing multilingual touch-screen audio-CASI applications; 2004; Cooley, P. C., Ganapathi, L., Li, S.
- Internet data collection; 2004; Best, S. J., Krueger, B. S.
- Designing Surveys: A Guide to Decisions and Procedures; 2004; Czaja, R., Blair, J.
- Using Electronic Surveys; 2004; Conway, M., Thomas, S. J.
- The Feasibility of Computer-Assisted Survey Interviewing in Africa: Experience from Two Rural Districts...; 2004; Hewett, P. C., Erulkar, A. S., Mensch, B. S.
- The Influence of Graphical and Symbolic Language Manipulations on Responses to Self-Administered Questions...; 2004; Christian, L. M., Dillman, D. A.
- Scientific LogAnalyzer: A Web-based tool for analyses of server log files in psychological research; 2004; Reips, U. -D., Stieger, S.
- An Internet-based survey method for college student drinking research; 2004; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J., Cashell-Smith, M. L.
- Internet research: privacy, ethics and alienation: an open source approach; 2004; Berry, D. M.
- Identifying and Reducing Response Burdens in Internet Business Surveys; 2004; Haraldsen, G.
- A comparison of response characteristics from web and telephone surveys; 2004; Roster, C. A., Rogers, R. D., Albaurn, G., Klein, J. D.
- Recruitment of research participants through the Internet; 2004; Im, E. O., Chee, W.