Web Survey Bibliography
Title The effect of different methods of collecting data: Mail, telephone and filter data collection issues in utility measurement
Author Hawthorne, G.
Source Quality of Life Research, 12, 8, pp. 1081-1088
Database Kluwer Journals
Access date 23.11.2004
Abstract When collecting data researchers can interview participants, conduct telephone interviews, or mailout questionnaires. Often mixed methods are used. Whether these methods produce equivalent data is under-researched in the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) field. In addition, the effect of using filter questions has not been researched among HRQoL multi-attribute utility instruments. This study randomly sampled from Melbourne, Australia, and employed a test–retest design to investigate whether mail or telephone interview made any difference to Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) instrument utility scores. A filter question AQoL version investigated the effect of filters on scores. There was no significant difference in standard AQoL scores between mail self-completion and telephone interview, regardless of which was administered first. Inclusion of filter questions encouraged respondents to select the best response category thereby screening out minor health conditions. The effect was to increase utility scores by 0.06 or 7%. This effect has not been previously reported in utility instruments and has profound implications for economic evaluations using cost-utility analysis; there are implications for researchers using filter questions in general. In conclusion, researchers should feel confident that utility scores elicited from the standard AQoL through self-completion mail and telephone interview administrations are directly comparable.
Access/Direct link Kluwer Journals (full text)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (396)
- Internet-based & Mail Survey: A Hybrid Probabilistic Survey Approach; 2003; Parackal, M.
- Interactive Features in Web Surveys; 2003; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- The Effect of Respondent and Technology Characteristics on the Intention to Participate in Internet-...; 2003; Deutskens, E., de Ruyter, K., Wetzels, M.
- Adjustments for non-telephone bias in random-digit-dialling surveys; 2003; Frankel, M. R., Srinath, K. P., Hoaglin, D. C.
- Mobile Phone Surveys; 2003; Vehovar, V.
- Data Collection of the 21st Century?; 2003; Giovannini, E.
- Collecting data in the information age: Exploring Web-based survey methods in educational research; 2003; Saxon, D., Garratt, D., Gilroy, P., Cairns, C.
- Tempestivit? and qualit: conceptual aspects and behaviors of answer in surveyings via Internet. An application...; 2003; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- The Impact of the Visible: Images, Spacing, and Other Visual Cues in Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G.
- Is the Applicability of Web-Based Surveys for Academic Research limited to the Field of Information...; 2003; Roztocki, N., Lahri, N. A.
- Ten years after; 2003; Bradford, D. P.
- Are you talking to the right people?; 2003; Davis, H.
- Be prepared; 2003; Fitzgerald, A.
- Watch out for dropouts; 2003; Hogg, A., Miller, J.
- Persuasive e-mail invitations; 2003; MacElroy, B.
- Online sample -- can you trust it?; 2003; Maginnis, C.
- Best practices for online research; 2003; Smith, L.
- WebSurveyor and Surveywriter; 2003; Macer, T.
- Internet surveys: limits and beyond limits; 2003; Mititelu, C.
- Validity of the Survey of Health and Internet and Knowledge Network's Panel and Sampling; 2003; Baker, L. C., Bundorf, M. K., Singer, S. J., Wagner, T. H.
- Email-Befragung unter Direktkandidaten. Methodische Erfahrungen aus Baden-Württemberg und Rheinland-...; 2003; Faas, T.
- Offline rekrutierte Access Panels: Königsweg der Online-Forschung?; 2003; Faas, T.
- Adoption of WAP-enabled mobile phones among Internet users; 2003; Teo, T. S. H., Pok, S. H.
- Conducting Research on the Internet: Online Survey Design, Development and Implementation Guidelines; 2003; Andrews, D., Nonnecke, B., Preece, J.
- Understanding the effects of audio-CASI on self-reports of sensitive behavior; 2003; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- Internet-based intervention to promote organ donor registry participation and family notification; 2003; Merion, R. M., Vinokur, A. D., Couper, M. P.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Cohen, M. L., Groves, R. M., Kalsbeek, W., Cork, D. L.
- Survey Research: In-Person, Mail, Telephone and Web Methods; 2003; Leon, J. J., Brown, W. C., Ruch, L. O., Johnson, T. E.
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods; 2003; Lewis-Beck, M., Bryman, A. E., Futing Liao, T.
- Conducting Qualitative Research On-Line in Student Affairs; 2003; Flowers, L. A., Moore III, J. L.
- Gratification Niches of Monthly Print Magazines and the World Wide Web Among a Group of Special-Interest...; 2003; Randle, Q.
- Web survey data collection and retrieval to plan teleradiology implementation; 2003; Alaoui, A., Collmann, J. R., Johnson, J. A., Lindisch, D., Mun, S. K.
- Database Design for Dynamic Online Surveys; 2003; Pargas, R. P., Witte, J. C., Jaganathan, K., Davis, J. S.
- Prevention and Treatment of Item Nonresponse; 2003; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Huisman, M.
- Localizing TAM to meet industry’s needs utilizing mixed methodology in the Chinese TV market; 2003; Brosenne, M., Taniguchi, M., Wang, P.
- Installing peoplemeter TAM panels in 2000; 2003; Sellick-Petra, A.
- A full year of audience research with PPM. What we’ve learned so far; 2003; Webb, B. M., Patchen, R. H.
- 21st century measurement of 21st century media. PPM’s capture of radio 'dial' switching: The new...; 2003; Stinnett, S., McConochie, R. M., Goerlich, B.
- Measuring formats. Electronic measurement boosts programming; 2003; Mueller, R., Daehler, M.
- Programming and marketing in a PPM world; 2003; Rogerson, D.
- Does recall-based audience measurement truly represent the audiences of speech stations? The results...; 2003; MacKenzie, K., Ridley, B.
- Diary and telephone-based measurement of the network radio audience in the United States. A comparison...; 2003; Lapovsky, D., Evans, T. C. N.
- Keeping visitors and communication effects in site; 2003; Dahlen, M., Rosengren, S., Shulakov, N.
- Measuring consumers' Internet behavior. Unique challenges require new solutions; 2003; Fulgoni, G. M.
- Real Profile. A new approach to online media planning; 2003; Ejdys, P., Cisek, T., Modzelewski, C.
- A new paradigm in interactive audience measurement. Census methodology used to produce online audience...; 2003; Webb, R., Long, M., Caldwell, J.
- Defining the gold standard for user centric global online audience measurement. Developing global standards...; 2003; Goosey, R. W.
- The Canadian experience in developing an outdoor reach & frequency model. Getting from there to here...; 2003; Falbo, M. E., van der Burgt, J.
- The pros and cons of using GPS in outdoor research. The Italian experience; 2003; Mezzasalma, A.
- Online vs. offline administration of print audience measurement studies. A statistical comparison; 2003; Melton, E., Vriens, M.