Web Survey Bibliography
Title A Disk by Mail Survey of Pupils in Primary Schools: Data Quality and Logistics
Source Journal of Official Statistics, 15, 3, pp. 413-429
Access date 15.12.2004
Full text pdf (103k)
Abstract Computer-assisted self-reporting and disk by mail (DBM) surveys are less widespread than other forms of computer-assisted data collection, and they are generally restricted to special populations. The Netherlands has the unique situation that each primary school has at least one PC, thanks to a government-sponsored project to enhance computer literacy. Thus, when we were faced with the challenge of a survey among young children on bullying in schools, we decided to implement a disk by mail survey. Our main reason for using computer-assisted self-administered questionnaires (CSAQ) is the extremely sensitive nature of questions about bullying. Pupils are very reluctant to talk about bullying, even to their parents and teachers. CSAQ enhances the feeling of privacy, and in general does well with questions of a sensitive nature. In designing the questionnaires, we tried to make them as simple and attractive as possible. Diskettes were sent to 106 Dutch primary schools for use on levels five, six, seven, and eight (pupils aged 8-12). The pupils were surveyed individually, using self-administered computer-assisted questionnaires. The questionnaire focussed on attitudes to bullying and actual bullying (either as victim or as culprit). We were able to show that: (1) a DBM survey can be successfully implemented in Dutch primary schools; (2) children from the age of eight years can successfully complete a computer-assisted self-interview, and enjoy it; (3) the cited advantages of computer-assisted data collection (less item nonresponse, less social desirability) also hold when the subjects are children; (4) DBM results in less costs for each completed and returned questionnaire.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Year of publication1999
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - de Leeuw, E. D. (40)
- Does one really know?: Avoiding noninformative answers in a reliable way.; 2013; de Leeuw, E. D., Boevee, A., Hox, J.
- Counting and Measuring Online: The Quality of Internet Surveys; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Professional Respondents in Internet Panels: Who are They and What Do They Do to Our Data?; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D., Matthijsse, S.
- Question or Mode Effects in Mixed-Mode surveys: A Cross-cultural study in the Netherlands, Germany,...; 2012; de Leeuw, E. D., Nicolaas, G., Campanelli, P., Hox, J.
- Matrix vs. Single Question Formats in Web Surveys: Results from a large scale experiment; 2012; Klausch, L. T., de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., de Jongh, A., Roberts , A.
- Online Surveys: Past, Present, and Future; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Online-Telephone Mixed-Mode Surveys Question Wording Experiments in The Netherlands and Germany; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J.
- Flexibility of Web Surveys: Probing 'do-not-know' over the Phone and on the Web; 2011; Hox, J., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Surveying the General Population: Coverage bias in European Web Surveys; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Mohorko, A.
- Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys: Mode or Question Format?; 2011; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J.
- Internet Surveys as Part of a Mixed-Mode Design; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Source of Measurement Error in Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Scherpenzeel, A., Stam, S., Zandvliet, R.
- Mode Effect or Question Wording? Developing Robust Questions for Mixed Mode Surveys; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D., Scherpenzeel, A.
- Does Familiarity Breed Contempt? Measuring and Comparing Survey Attitude Among New and Repeat Respondents...; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Mixed-Mode Surveys and the Internet; 2010; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Online Interviewing through Access Panel: Quantity and Quality Assurance; 2009; Petric, I., Appel, M., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Reducing Measurement Errors in Surveys; 2009; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Missing data; 2008; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J.
- Advances in Telephone Survey Methodology; 2008; Lepkowski, J. M., Tucker, C., Brick, J. M., de Leeuw, E. D., Japec, L., Lavrakas, P. J., Sangster, R...
- International Handbook of Survey Methodology; 2008; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Dillman, D. A.
- Mixed-mode Surveys: When and Why; 2008; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Dillman, D. A.
- Self-Administered Questionnaires: Mail Survey and Other Applications; 2008; de Leeuw, E. D. Hox, J.
- Choosing the Method of Data Collection; 2008; de Leeuw, E. D.
- The influence of advance letters on response in telephone surveys; 2007; de Leeuw, E. D., Callegaro, M., Hox, J., Korendijk, E., Lensvelt-Mulders, G. J.
- Mixed-mode & Internet Interviewing; 2007; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Mixed Mode Data Collection Strategies in Surveys; 2006; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J.
- Mixed mode data collection strategies in surveys: An overview; 2005; de Leeuw, E. D.
- How to Mix Modes; 2005; de Leeuw, E. D.
- To Mix or Not to Mix Data Collection Modes in Surveys; 2005; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Prevention and Treatment of Item Nonresponse; 2003; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Huisman, M.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Trends in household survey nonresponse: A longitudinal and international comparison; 2001; de Leeuw, E. D., de Heer, W.
- Reducing Missing Data in Surveys: An Overview of Methods; 2001; de Leeuw, E. D.
- A Disk by Mail Survey of Pupils in Primary Schools: Data Quality and Logistics; 1999; van Hattum, M. J. C., de Leeuw, E. D.
- Computer-assisted Qualitative Interviewing: Testing and Quality Assessment of CAPI and CATI Questionnaires...; 1999; Snijkers, G., de Leeuw, E. D., Hoezen, D., Kuijpers, I.
- Overcoming the Problems of Special Interviews on Sensitive Topics: Computer Assisted Self-Interviwing...; 1997; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Kef, S., van Hattum, M. J. C.
- Technological Innovations in Data Collection: Acceptance, Data Quality and Costs; 1996; de Leeuw, E. D., Nicholls II, W. L.
- The effect of computer-assisted interviewing on data quality: A review.; 1995; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Snijkers, G.
- Data Quality in Mail, Telephone and Face to Face Surveys; 1992; de Leeuw, E. D.