Web Survey Bibliography
Title Decentralised CATI Versus Paper and Pencil Interviewing: Effects on the Results in the Swedish Labour Force Surveys
Author Bergman, L. R., Kristiansson, K. -E., Olofsson, A., Safstrom, M.
Source Journal of Official Statistics, 10, 2, pp. 181-195
Access date 16.12.2004
Full text pdf (1736k)
Abstract The results of decentralised computer assisted telephone interviewing (DCATI) and decentralised paper and pencil interviewing (DPAPI) were compared in a large methods study within the Swedish Labour Force Surveys. In the main study (n=103,161 and 23,420 for DPAPI and DCATI, respectively) key estimates were compared for the two methods. Very similar results were obtained except for (a) the category weak attachment to the labour market for which a 2% difference was found, believed to have been caused by a different layout of the response alternatives in DCATI and DPAPI, and (b) the percentage working 40 hours for which also a 2% method difference was found. Results from a reinterview study (n=1,800 for both DPAPI and DCATI) indicated that the two methods had produced data of very similar quality. In a coding study (n=4,127), the quality of the information provided by the interviewers on occupation and industry in DCATI was compared with previously obtained information using DPAPI. Both methods seemed to have produced almost equivalent information.
Access/Direct link Homepage - journal (full text)
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication1994
Web Survey Bibliography - Journal of Official Statistics (75)
- Unit Nonresponse and Weighting Adjustments: A Critical Review; 2013; Brick, J. M.
- Addressing Disclosure Concerns and Analysis Demands in a Real-Time Online Analytic System; 2013; Krenzke, T., Gentleman, J. F., , Moriarity, C.Li, J.
- The General Survey System Initiative at RTI International: An Integrated System for the Collection and...; 2013; Thalji, L., Mitchell, S., A., Suresh, R., Speizer, H., Pratt, D.Hill, C. A.
- Consolidation and Standardization of Survey Operations at a Decentralized Federal Statistical Agency; 2013; Nealon, J., Gleaton, E.
- Disfluencies and Gaze Aversion in Unreliable Responses to Survey Questions; 2012; Schober, M. F., Conrad, F. G., Dijkstra, W., Ongena, Y. P.
- Evaluating Survey Questions: A Comparison of Methods; 2012; Yan, T., Kreuter, F., Tourangeau, R.
- Use of Paradata in a Responsive Design Framework to Manage a Field Data Collection; 2012; Wagner, J., West, B. T., Kirgis, N., Lepkowski, J. M., Axinn, W., Kruger-Ndiaye, S.
- Improving RDD Cell Phone Samples. Evaluation of Different Pre-call Validation Methods; 2012; Kunz, T., Fuchs, M.
- An Examination of Within-Person Variation in Response Propensity over the Data Collection Field Period...; 2012; Olson, K., Groves, R. M.
- Toward a Benefit-Cost Theory of Survey Participation: Evidence, Further Tests, and Implications; 2011; Singer, E.
- Indicators for Monitoring and Improving Representativeness of Response; 2011; Schouten, B., Shlomo, N., Skinner, C.
- Proxy Pattern-Mixture Analysis for Survey Nonresponse; 2011; Andridge, R. R. Little, R. J.
- Designing Input Fields for Non-Narrative Open-Ended Responses in Web Surveys; 2011; Couper, M. P., Kennedy, C., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Breakoff and Unit Nonresponse Across Web Surveys; 2011; Faas, T.
- Sources of measurement errors in business surveys; 2010; Bavdaz, M.
- Combining Link-Tracing Sampling and Cluster Sampling to Estimate Totals and Means of Hidden Human Populations...; 2010; Félix-Medina, M. H., Monjardin, P. E.
- Increasing Respondents' Use of Definitions in Web Surveys; 2010; Peytchev, A., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Contact Strategies to Improve Participation via the Web in a Mixed-Mode Mail and Web Survey; 2010; Holmberg, A., Lorenc, B., Werner, P.
- Questionnaire Design Guidelines for Establishment Surveys; 2010; Morrison, R. L., Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Design of Web Questionnaires: The Effect of Layout in Rating Scales; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- The Presentation of a Web Survey, Nonresponse and Measurement Error among Members of Web Panel; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Kennedy, C., Yan, T.
- Dependent Interviewing: Effects on Respondent Burden and Efficiency of Data Collection; 2008; Jaeckle, A.
- Seam Effects in Longitudinal Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M.
- Risk of Disclosure, Perceptions of Risk, and Concerns about Privacy and Confidentiality as Factors in...; 2008; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Conrad, F. G., Groves, R. M.
- Dual Frame Web-Telephone Sampling for Rare Groups; 2006; Blair, E., Blair, J.
- Merely Incidental?: Effects of Response Format on Self-reported Behavior; 2006; Thomas, R. K., Klein, J. D.
- The Influence of Web-based Questionnaire Presentation Variations on Survey Cooperation and Perceptions...; 2006; Walston, J. T., Lissitz, R. W., Rudner, L. M.
- Can Web and Mail Survey Modes Improve Participation in an RDD-based National Health Surveillance?; 2006; Link, M. W., Mokdad, A.
- Dropouts on the Web: Effects of Interest and Burden Experienced During an Online Survey; 2006; Galesic, M.
- Propensity Score Adjustment as a Weighting Scheme for Volunteer Panel Web Surveys; 2006; Lee, Sunghee
- Use and Non-use of Clarification Features in Web Surveys; 2006; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Peytchev, A.
- Putting a Questionnaire on the Web is not Enough # A Comparison of Online and Offline Surveys Conducted...; 2006; Faas, T., Schoen, H.
- An Experimental Study on the Effects of Personalization, Survey Length Statements, Progress Indicators...; 2006; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- To Mix or Not to Mix Data Collection Modes in Surveys; 2005; de Leeuw, E. D.
- Promoting Uniform Question Understanding in Today's and Tomorrow's Surveys; 2005; Conrad, F. G., Schober, M. F.
- Telephone, Internet, and Paper Data Collection Modes for the Census 2000 Short Form; 2005; Schneider, S. J., Cantor, D., Malakhoff, L., Arieira, C., Segel, P., -L., Nguyen, K.-L., Guarino Tancreto...
- List-based Web Surveys: Quality, Timeliness, and Nonresponse in the Steps of the Participation Flow; 2004; Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Biffignandi, S., Vehovar, V.
- Does Voice Matter? An Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Experiment; 2004; Couper, M. P., Singer, E., Tourangeau, R.
- TADEQ: A Tool for the Documentation and Analysis of Electronic Questionnaires; 2004; Bethlehem, J., Hundepool, A.
- Identifying and Reducing Response Burdens in Internet Business Surveys; 2004; Haraldsen, G.
- Weighting methods; 2003; Kalton, G., Flores Cervantes, I.
- Prevention and Treatment of Item Nonresponse; 2003; de Leeuw, E. D., Hox, J., Huisman, M.
- Models in the Practice of Survey Sampling (Revisited); 2002; Kalton, G.
- A Comparison Between Mail and Web Surveys: Response Pattern, Respondent Profile, and Data Quality; 2002; Kwak, N., Radler, B.T.
- Developing Usability Guidelines for AudioCasi Respondents with Limited Literacy Skills; 2000; J., Schneider, S. J.
- Technology Effects: Do CAPI or PAPI Interviews Take Longer?; 2000; Fuchs, M., Couper, M. P., Hansen, S. E.
- Calibration as a standard method for treatment of nonresponse; 1999; Lundstrom, S., Sarndal, C.-E.
- A Comparison of Mail and E-mail for a Survey of Employees in U.S. Statistical Agencies; 1999
- A Disk by Mail Survey of Pupils in Primary Schools: Data Quality and Logistics; 1999; van Hattum, M. J. C., de Leeuw, E. D.
- The Effect of Incentives on Response Rates in Interviewer-Mediated Surveys; 1999; Singer, E., van Hoewyk, J., Gebler, N., Raghunathan, T., McGonagle, K.