Web Survey Bibliography
Title A field study comparing online and offline data collection methods for identifying product attribute preferences using conjoint analysis
Author Sethuraman, R., Kerin, R. A., Cron, W. L.
Source Journal of Business Research, 58, 5, pp. 602-610
Access date 01.02.2005
Abstract Do online and offline data collection methods yield different attribute preferences in an importance-rating task and a choice-based conjoint analysis task? This question is addressed in a field study designed to identify promising attributes for a new generation of wireless telephone handsets in an actual product development context. No practical differences in attribute preferences were observed between data collection methods when attribute preferences were measured using a direct importance-rating question. However, significant differences in attribute preferences were observed between the methods in the choice-based conjoint analysis task. Moreover, the online data collection method was judged superior to a traditional offline (paper-and-pencil) method on the basis of internal consistency and predictive (face) validity. These findings support the use of Internet/Web-enabled technology for conjoint analysis data collection. Other implications for research practice are discussed.
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2005
Web Survey Bibliography - Email surveys (342)
- Online Versus Paper: Format Effects in Tourism Surveys; 2009; Dolnicar, S., Laesser, C., Matus, K.
- Web-based surveys as an alternative to traditional mail methods ; 2009; Fleming, C. M., Bowden, M.
- Effect of incentives and mailing features on online health program enrollment; 2008; Couper, M. P. et al.
- Usability testing; 2008; Roe, D. J.
- The advisory panel on online public opinion survey quality - Final report June 4, 2008; 2008
- Email survey; 2008; Porter, S. R.
- Swedish National Data Service's Strategy for Sharing and Mediating Data; 2008; Carlhed, C., Alfredsson, I.
- Using Web Surveys to Reach Community College Students: An Analysis of Response Rates and Response Bias...; 2008; Sax, L. J., Gilmartin, S. K., Hagedorn, L. S., Lee, J. J.
- Asking the age question in mail and online surveys; 2008; Gendall, P., Healey, B.
- A Comparison of Address-Based Sampling (ABS) Versus Random-Digit Dialing (RDD) for General Population...; 2008; W., Battaglia, M. P., Frankel, M. R., Osborn, L., Mokdad, A.Link, M. W.
- Prenotification in Web-Based Access Panel Surveys: The Influence of Mobile Text Messaging Versus E-Mail...; 2008; Bosnjak, M., Neubarth, W., Couper, M. P., Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L.
- Mail and Internet Surveys ; 2008; Dillman, D. A.
- The influence of advance letters on response in telephone surveys; 2007; de Leeuw, E. D., Callegaro, M., Hox, J., Korendijk, E., Lensvelt-Mulders, G. J.
- The case for publishing (some) online polls; 2007; Taylor, H.
- Reinterview: A tool for survey quality improvement; 2007; Feindt, P. et al.
- Overcoming challenges to conducting online surveys; 2007; Ye, J.
- Opportunities and constraints of electronic research; 2007; Roberts, L. D.
- Online market research, 5th Edition; 2007; Comley, P.
- Mixed-mode surveys with Netservey; 2007; Papagiannidis, S., Li, F.
- Lessons learned: Converting a telephone survey panel to an internet panel; 2007; Roe, D. J., Stockdale, J., Farrelly, M., Heinrich, T.
- Electronic data collection methods; 2007; Singh, M., Burgess, S.
- A comparison of forced-choice and mark-all-that-apply formats for gathering information on health insurance...; 2007; Ericson, L., Nelson, C. T.
- When epidemiology meets the internet: Web-based surveys in the millennium cohort study ; 2007; Smith, B., Smith, T. C., Gray, G. C., Ryan, M. A. K.
- Email Surveys in Educational Research: Ethical and Net-Cultural Concerns; 2007; Nguyen, C. H.
- Data Preservation; 2007; Wyner, G. A.
- Visual Design, Order Effects, and Respondent Characteristics in a Self-Administered Survey; 2007; Stern, M. J., Dillman, D. A., Smyth, J. D.
- Effects of Answer Space Size on Responses to Open-ended questions in mail surveys; 2007; Israel, G. D.
- Comparison of Web and mail surveys for studying secondary consequences associated with substance use...; 2006; McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Cranford, J. A., Boyd, C. J.
- Understanding people. Sample matching; 2006; Rivers, D.
- The anonymous elect. Market research through online access panels; 2006; Postoaca, A.
- Testing on the Internet: Issues, challenges and opportunities in the field of occupational assessment...; 2006; Bartram, D.
- A framework for survey breakoffs; 2006; Peytchev, A.
- Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys 2006; 2006
- Online Student Ratings: Increasing Response Rates; 2006; Nelson, D. L.
- Using email questionnaires for research: Good practice in tackling non-response; 2006; Michaelidou, N., Dibb, S.
- Conducting Intensive Interviews Using Email; 2006; McCoyd, J. L. M., Schwaber Kerson, T.
- Sampling Methods for Web and E-mail Surveys; 2006; Fricker, R. D.
- An Application of E-mail Suvey Using a Word Form; 2006; Graeml, A. R., Csillag, J. M.
- Conducting Online Surveys; 2006; Van Selm, M., Jankowski, N. W.
- On the cost-efficiency of probability sampling based mail surveys with a Web response option; 2005; Werner, P.
- The Effect Of A Simultaneous Mixed-Mode (Mail And Web) Survey On Respondent Characteristics And Survey...; 2005; Brennan, M.
- The total survey error approach. A guide to the new science of survey research; 2005; Weisberg, H. F.
- E-mail versus Web survey response rates among health education professionals; 2005; Kittleson, M. J., Brown, S. L.
- Using the Internet to Survey College Students About Their Law School Plans; 2005; Meinhold, S. S., Gleiber, D. W.
- Similarity and Helping Behavior on the Web: The Impact of the Convergence of Surnames Between a Solicitor...; 2005; Gueguen, N., Pichot, N., Le Dreff, G.
- Effects of Survey Mode on Self-Reports of Adult Alcohol Consumption: A Comparison of Mail, Web and Telephone...; 2005; Link, M. W., Mokdad, A.
- Electronic Surveys – Pros and Cons; 2005; Anonymous
- A Report on the 2005 ISSP Non-Response Survey; 2005; Smith, T. W.
- Modes of Data Gathering in International Survey Research; 2005; Diez-Nicolás, J.
- Prenotification in online access panel surveys: E-mail versus mobile text messaging (SMS); 2005; Neubarth, W., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., Couper, M. P., Kaczmirek, L.