Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Quality of Ego-Centered Network Data: A comparison of online versus offline data collection
Author Snijders, C., Matzat, U.
Access date 22.04.2005
Abstract We analyze whether there are differences in kind and quality of ego-centered network data that were collected on the web compared to data collected with the help of an interviewer. Many mode effects on the quality of web survey data have been analyzed (Couper 2000) for more or less standard questions. The collection of ego-centered network data, however, is notoriously more difficult than the collection of other survey data because it faces the respondent with a more complex answering task. Until now, we do not know whether web surveys lead to a substantial reduction of data quality and quantity (see Lozar Manfreda, Vehovar & Hlebec 2004). In our study university researchers of different disciplines at a Dutch university (n=110), either filled out ego-centered data through a web questionnaire or were probed about their network in a personalized interview. Ego-centered network data collection makes use of so-called "name generators" that are both hard to explain properly and moreover give the respondent a special opportunity to shorten the answer procedure. For this reason, interviewers are often deemed critical in the proper collection of ego-centered network data. Hence our analysis provides a strong test of the feasibility of data collection through the Internet. The emphasis of our analysis is on whether there are differences in the ego-centered network data between the groups of respondents. One could argue that respondents who are not interviewed in person are tempted to answer in a much more time saving manner than other respondents, and are moreover more likely to make mistakes or simply quit. We focus on drop out rates, the number of missing values, the size and density of the ego-centered networks, as well as other properties of the networks.The paper presents the results of the hypotheses testing.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Germany (413)
- The influence of the field time on data quality in list-based Web surveys; 2009; Goeritz, A., Stieger, S.
- Twisting Rating Scales: Horizontal versus Vertical Visual Analogue Scales versus Categorical Scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Are Respondents Sharing their Mobile Phones? Preliminary results based on a mobile phone panel in Germany...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Potential of self-administered mobile surveys; 2009; Bosnjak, M.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Galesic, M.
- Representativeness of Mobile Internet Surveys - A comparative study of CAMI vs. CATI ; 2009; Maier, U., Neubarth, W., Grosser, A., Hombach, A.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Results from 6 Independent Web Experiments Comparing Visual Analogue Scales with Categorical Scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- An Online Study on Coping with Anxiety and Disease-Specific Internet Use in Panic Attack Sufferers; 2009; König, D., Hiebler, C., Kryspin-Exner, I.
- Respondents’ Evaluations of Questionnaires: A Single-Item Open-Ended Instrument for Quality Control...; 2009; Baier, C., Kaczmirek, L., Züll, C.
- Volumetric Forecast based on Online Access Panels; 2009; Rodenhausen, T., Drewes, F.
- How representative are sentiments expressed in social media for the marketing target audience? A comparison...; 2009; Jarchow, C., Thomas, J.
- SNB - Social Network Barometer; 2009; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- Payments via Paypal as an Incentive in Online Panels; 2009; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Advertising Effects of Online Video Ads; 2009; Wolf, M., Schönfeldt, J.
- The impact of privacy concerns on data collection; 2009; Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Schofield Paine, C.
- Online election forecasts; 2009; Faas, T., Geißler, H.
- Why Do I Use the Social Web?” Exploring the Motives of Active and Passive Users via Focus Groups...; 2009; Jers, C., Taddicken, M., Schenk, M.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- AGOF internet facts – increasing the response rate for onsite-surveys; 2009; Förstel, H.
- It’s all about customer satisfaction - Advantages and limitations of online surveys in applied...; 2009; Einhorn, M., Klein-Reesink, T., Löffler, M.
- Potential Of The Mobile Internet - What You Ask Is What You Get; 2009; Neubarth, W., Maier, U., Geißlitz, A.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Using Tag Clouds to Analyse and Visualise Results of Open Ended Questions; 2009; Melles, T., Jaron, R.
- Measuring Perceived Virtual Social Support in Online Self-Help Groups; 2009; Preiß, H.
- Personalization as Strategy to Increase Response Rates; 2009; Althoff, S.
- Integrating Mobile Surveys into digital market research: Recommendations for Mobile Panel operation...; 2009; Friedrich-Freksa, M., de Groote, Z., Metzger, G.
- Social Web and Self-Disclosure = Participation vs. Privacy? Exploring How Users Manage this Dilemma...; 2009; Taddicken, M., Jers, C., Schenk, M.
- The Video-Enhanced Web Survey Data Quality and Cognitive Processing of Questions; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Gender-of-Interviewer Effects in a Video-Enhanced Web Survey: Results from a Randomized Field Experiment...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Differences in the Visual Design Language of Paper-and-Pencil Surveys Versus Web Surveys A Field Experimental...; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Mobility, Flexibility and Identity - How the use of mobile questionnaires improves the data quality...; 2009; Hellwig, O., Wirth, T.
- Evaluating two different mobile survey approaches: personal mobile panel research and ad-hoc mobile...; 2009; Friedrich-Freksa, M., Metzger, G.
- Online Reputation Systems: The Effects of Feedback Comments and Reactions on Building and Rebuilding...; 2009; Utz, S., Matzat, U., Snijders, C.
- Coverage- und Nonresponse-Effekte bei Online-Bevölkerungsumfragen ; 2009; Bandilla, W., Kaczmirek, L., Blohm, M., Neubarth, W.
- Using the World-Wide Web to obtain large-scale word norms: 190,212 ratings on a set of 2,654 German...; 2009; Lahl, O., Goeritz, A., Pietrowsky, R., Rosenberg, J.
- The impact of the field time on response, retention, and response completeness in list-based Web surveys...; 2009; Goeritz, A., Stieger, S.
- Human-Survey Interaction: Usability and Nonresponse in Online Surveys; 2008; Kaczmirek, L.
- Internet-basierte Messung sozialer Erwünschtheit: Theoretische Grundlagen und experimentelle Untersuchung...; 2008; Kaufmann, E., Reips, U. -D.
- Sozialforschung im Internet: Methodologie und Praxis der Online-Befragung; 2008; Jackob, N., Schoen, H., Zerback, T. (eds.)
- Does speed in completing an online questionnaire have an influence on its reliability?; 2008; Montag, C., Reuter, M.
- Response Effects in Video-enhanced Web Surveys; 2008; Fuchs, M.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2008; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Using Internet Pages of Organisations as Data Source for Social Science Research; 2008; Baumgarten, B., Grauel, J.
- Representativeness in Online-Surveys Through Stratified Sample; 2008; Blasius, J.