Web Survey Bibliography
Title The value of online surveys
Source Internet Research, 15, 2, pp. 195-219
Access date 26.04.2005
Abstract Purpose - To provide a thorough analysis of the role of the internet in survey research and to discuss the implications of online surveys becoming such a major force in research. Design/methodology/approach - The paper is divided into four major sections: an analysis of the strengths and potential weaknesses of online surveys; a comparison of online surveys with other survey formats; a discussion on the best uses for online surveys and how their potential weaknesses may be moderated; and an overview of the online survey services being offered by the world's largest research firms. Findings - If conducted properly, online surveys have significant advantages over other formats. However, it is imperative that the potential weaknesses of online surveys be mitigated and that online surveys only be used when appropriate. Outsourcing of online survey functions is growing in popularity. Practical implications - The paper provides a very useful source of information and impartial advice for any professional who is considering the use of online surveys. Originality/value - The paper synthesizes the vast literature related to online surveys, presents original material related to survey methodology, and offers a number of recommendations.
Access/Direct link Emerald (full text)
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - Internet Research (18)
- Examining the effects of website-induced flow in professional sporting team websites; 2010; O'Cass, A., Carlson, J.
- Web acceptance and usage model: A comparison between goal-directed and experiential web users; 2005; Sánchez-Franco, M. J., Roldán, J. L.
- The value of online surveys; 2005; Evans, J. R., Mathur, A.
- Internet research: privacy, ethics and alienation: an open source approach; 2004; Berry, D. M.
- A framework and methodology for evaluating e-commerce Web sites; 2003; van der Merwe, R., Bekker, J.
- Web site design benchmarking within industry groups; 2003; Kim, S. -E., Shaw, T., Schneider, H.
- Extending the capabilities of Internet-based research: lessons from the field; 2003; Tingling, P., Parent, M., Wade, M.
- Waiting online: a review and research agenda; 2003; Ryan, G., Valverde, M.
- Methodologies for crawler based Web surveys; 2002; Thelwall, M.
- Demographic and motivation variables associated with Internet usage activities; 2001; Teo, T. S. H.
- Online business education in the twenty-first century: an analysis of potential target markets; 2001; Evans, J. R., Haase, I. M.
- Quantifying and Correcting Unit Nonresponse-Errors in Online-Surveys; 2001; Lukawetz, G.
- Searching the Web: a survey of EXCITE users; 1999; Spink, A., Bateman, J., Jansen, B. J.
- Security implications of electronic commerce: a survey of consumers and businesses; 1999; Furnell, S. M., Karweni, T.
- Evaluating domestic and international Web-site strategies; 1999; Simeon, R.
- The effectiveness of commercial Internet Web sites: a user's perspective; 1998; Bell, H., Tang, N. K. H
- Identifying user-based criteria for Web pages; 1997; Abels, E. G., D., Hahn, K.White, M. D.
- The Ethics of Research in Cyberspace; 1994; Kennedy, K.