Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Internet and knowledge gaps - A theoretical and empirical investigation
Author Bonfadelli, H.
Source European Journal of Communication, 17, 1, pp. 65-84
Access date 29.03.2004
Abstract Although the knowledge gap hypothesis is often mentioned in connection with the social consequences of the Information Society, there is little discussion of its theoretical background or specific empirical evidence. Therefore, this article explores the theoretical potential of the knowledge gap perspective for Internet research and presents data based on two recent Internet surveys, which demonstrate a double digital divide. Access to the Internet in Switzerland is still dominated by well-educated, affluent, young males and between 1997 and 2000 the gap between those who do and those who do not have access widened not narrowed. Furthermore, there are gaps in the use of the Internet too. More educated people use the Internet more actively and their use is more information oriented, whereas the less educated seem to be interested particularly in the entertainment functions of the Internet.
Access/Direct link EbscoHost (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (418)
- Online Panels; 2002; Reinhold, N., Batinic, B., Goeritz, A.
- Personality Assessment via Internet: Comparing Online and Paper-and-Pencil Questionnaires; 2002; Hertel, G., Naumann, S., Konradt, U., Batinic, B.
- Context Effects in Web-Surveys; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Theory and techniques of conducting Web experiments; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Privacy Perceptions and Online Practices; 2002; Viseu, A., Clement, A., Aspinall, J.
- Are refusing particpants different or what influence do have forced-choice-items on drop-out?; 2002; Voracek, M., Ponocny, I., Stieger, S.
- Online- and Touchscreensurveys: on Some Similarities of Computer-based Forms of Data Collection; 2002; Weichbold, M., Griessner, E. M.
- The Networked Nature of Community Online and Offline; 2002; Wellman, B., Boase, J., Chen, W.
- The Influence of Words, Symbols, Numbers, and Graphics on Answers to Self-Administered Questionnaires...; 2002; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Characteristics of Respondents to a Web Survey of the General Public; 2002; Tarnai, J., Thom, A.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Beyond Usability: Using the ''Webpage Interview'' to Explore Literary Practices; 2002; Attar, D.
- Internet Surveys: How Can they Contribute to Improve Traditional Survey Data and Administrative Databases...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- Web Fragmentation: A Network Analysis Approach; 2002; Koren, G., Kovacic, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences; 2002; Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Collaborative Approach to Web Access Analysis; 2002; Grobelnik, M., Mladenic, D.
- The implementation of an electronic survey tool to help determine the information needs of a knowledge...; 2002; Foo, S., Hepworth, M.
- Interpreting the new online advertising effectiveness measures. How new online brand effectiveness measures...; 2002; Hughes, G.
- Cross-media measurement. The new medium necessitates a new approach to an old problem; 2002; Briggs, R.
- Internet inclusive multi-media reach/frequency and optimization. Theories and techniques for an evolving...; 2002; Collins, J. H., Mallett, D. T.
- Forecasting reach, frequency and GRPs on the Internet; 2002; Chandler -Pepelnjak, J.
- The reach and frequency approach to advertising planning on the Internet; 2002; Coffey, S., Mazumdar, M.
- Online research alternatives. Choices, choices, but which one is best for me?; 2002; Klein, C., Lonnie, K.
- User-centric Internet measurement and its role in media planning; 2002; O’Connell, F.
- Site-centric measurement. Can traditional panels meet the new standard?; 2002; FitzGerald, J.
- Monitoring Internet audience measurement panels. Methodological issues and market trends; 2002; Haering, H.
- Computing unique user counts from server log files. Comparative analysis of varying methods; 2002; Bennett, R. P., Hanson, S. J., Guenther, S. A., Stone, M.
- Beyond demographic variables: Using psychographic research to narrate the story of Internet users; 2002; Dutta -Bergman, M. J.
- Virtual Selves and Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Couper, M. P., Vohar, M., Rivas, S., Vehovar, V.
- Do Mail and Web Surveys Provide Same Results?; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Measuring web-based service quality; 2002; Li, Y. N., Tan, K. C., Xie, M.
- The market for electronic newspapers in the Arab world; 2002; AlShehri, F., Gunter, B.
- Collective action in the age of the Internet: Mass communication and online mobilization; 2002; Brunsting, S., Postmes, T.
- Perceptual differences of marketing journals: A worldwide perspective; 2002; Theoharakis, V., Hirst, A.
- The feasibility of a Web-based surveillance system to collect health risk behavior data from college...; 2002; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M., Pigg Jr., R. M., Miller, D., Dorman, S. M.
- Research note: Online journalism in the low countries - Basic, occupational and professional characteristics...; 2002; Deuze, M., Paulussen, S.
- Do Web surveys really gain lower response rates than other survey modes? A meta-analysis; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- World in Figures: A Multilingual Internet Application for Statistical Data Dissemination with an Online...; 2002; Kuti, S., Vag, A.
- New Ways of Survey Data Collection: Touchscreens; 2002; Weichbold, M.
- A Comparison of Response Rate, Response Time, and Costs of Mail and Electronic Surveys; 2002; Shannon, D. M., Bradshaw, C. C.
- Describing response behavior in websurveys using client side paradata; 2002; Heerwegh, D.
- Learning the Web: Internet User Experience and Response to Web Marketing in Sweden; 2002; Dahlen, M.
- The Internet and knowledge gaps - A theoretical and empirical investigation; 2002; Bonfadelli, H.
- The Digital Divide, Individuals and Governance: Opportunities and Challenges; 2002; Reddick, A.
- Community Access and the Digital Divide: with Maritime Subtitles; 2002; Rideout, V.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- ICT and Business Performance in Italy; 2002; de Panizza, A., Nascia, L., Nurra, A., Oropallo, F., Riccardini, F.
- Information And Communication Technologies And E-Commerce In Basque Companies: A Statistical Approach...; 2002; Moran Alaez, E.
- The Digital Divide: Diffusion and use of ICTs; 2002; Montagnier, P., Muller, E., Vickery, G.